The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Noob trying to understand some MMO terms

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
ESO is my first real MMO, though I've dabbled a bit when Everquest first came out, and most recently, GW2. Loving the experience in this game, because 99% of interactions with other players are friendly, cordial, and collaborative.
I'm really intrigued by the fine tuning one can do to create a strong character, and I admire and respect the extensive knowledge many players demonstrate on these forums (and elsewhere!) on how to create strong builds.
The terminology has been a little bit of a challenge, though I think I'm getting most of it (crit=critical strike, which may occur on a certain percentage of your strikes depending on what armor, weapon, jewelry buffs, you've got going. I'm not quite sure if there is a "default" crit level for abilities or weapons that are not buffed??).

Anyway, two terms remain a bit elusive for me: "proc" which I'm guessing means to activate an ability?? And the other one I see frequently is "scale off of" like such and such ability(?) scales off of some other ability(?).

If anyone can point me to a good online reference, or perhaps give an overview to these things, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    unofficial-eso-slang-and-abbreviation-dictionary

Scales off, means the values for that ability are based on some stat, so increasing that stat increases the damage done (or healed).

Not entirely sure about Proc, different people seem to use it slightly differently.

Edit~Just googled Proc, it appears to refer to an ability or effect activating as a side-effect of you doing something else, like a critical attack. But as I said people seem to sue it differently.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on October 29, 2014 4:59PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Status Effects and you

This one might be helpful too. :) As for your questions:

To proc means to be triggered by or inflicted by. For example the burned status proccing from fire damage, or Crystal Fragments (which normally has cast time, but has a chance to be an instant cast after using another spell) proccing from other skills costing magicka - or in other words, having the instant cast activated after using such a skill.

scale off of X - X is used to calculate the result. For example, some skills' magnitude is influenced by your maximum magicka, others by stamina. If an ability scales off of magicka, it's more powerful the more magicka you have. If it scales off of weapon crit, then obviously it takes your weapon critical chance into account, not spell crit (both are shown in your character window).

You need to pay attention to weapon/spell damage and crit. It can be quite tricky, many melee class skills cost magicka and use spell power, but weapon crit.
    Edited by Rosveen on October 29, 2014 4:59PM
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proc would mean when a passive or some other spell happens due to a trigger.

Some spells have a finisher on then like an explosion at the end of the timed spell or some armor set bonuses have an ability that happens X amount of times.

example:

5 piece Ashen Grip set bonus: 10% chance to breath fire for 100 fire dmg on melee hits. ....When that goes off it is a proc.
  • Resueht
    Resueht
    ✭✭✭
    I believe proc is short for procedural random occurrence. Sometimes used as a verb as well. It's an occurrence based on a random number generator (RNG).

I can go into further explanation of percentages and RNGs if you would like; what I provided was a tl;dr definition. :)
    If she doesn't know the pain of cliffracers, she's too young for you.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Nestor on October 29, 2014 9:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said Proc is used to explain an ablity that can trigger, like some weapons in other games here as well have effects on them, haste, attack damage buffs,, Aera of effect and direct damage nukes , chance to heal etc .

that will random fire of and activate durning combat . some games like old Ever quest , dexterity would effect the weapons chance to trigger the proc .