The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Blocking while feared. Intended?

Wahee
Wahee
✭✭✭
For those who may not know NB fear effects targets who are blocking. Unfortunately, once they are feared enemies can also continue to block through the entire duration of the fear. A cc is of very little value if your opponent can continue to block during the cc.

Is it intended that you can continue to block while feared?
Mostly Harmless: PvP leader and officer
mostly-harmless-guild.com
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait what? I thought the entire purpose of fear was to get through blocks...
    Options
  • Wahee
    Wahee
    ✭✭✭
    Wait what? I thought the entire purpose of fear was to get through blocks...

You can still fear them through block, but they can just keep blocking anyway. I suppose there is some utility in forcing a blocking enemy to move (like getting them out of veil of blades or moving them towards your allies), but yea I agree with you, if you can just block while feared it makes fear pretty meaningless.

I'm hoping this is just a bug and isn't intended.

Also, you cannot fear someone off of a steep cliff or ledge, they will go up to the edge and turn around :'(

Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wait... are you serious? so the only block breaker in this entire game is half useless?? bah!

ZOS: fix this!!!!
    Options
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    They wont. they love tanking and aoespamming.
    Options
  • Farkaz
    Farkaz
    ✭✭
    This is bug from 1.3. Fix is coming when it's ready.
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Farkaz wrote: »

at the rate iv seen these devs fix some things, id wager "ready" is 6 months from now.
    Edited by Cody on September 18, 2014 11:21AM
    Options
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it never used to be the way but has found its way in, it's yet another frustration for Nightblades and I've dropped it from my bar for now.

Lets hope "soon" isn't as long as it's taken our DOTs to stop breaking our stealth.
    Options
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    sounds legit for a nb ability
    Options
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NB skill.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on September 22, 2014 5:36PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Confucius say - "Man who hold down block, already afraid."
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »

if only I could shoot an arrow into their knees...... would be interested to watch a wooden stick block my steel mace then:D
    Options
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    They should add flails into game which ignore blocking.

Options
  • Wahee
    Wahee
    ✭✭✭
    This is still happening, and it is still very frustrating. Any hope that a fix is planned or that it is at least on the radar as an issue?
    Options
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to block it, like all CC. But if you get hit by it, you shouldn't be able to block. Simples.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, it's always been like this since the launch of the game (as I tested it way back then).

I think Fear in it's current form is fine - removing the ability to use block while feared would be OP. It's already one of the best CC in the game since it's one of, if not the only, CC that can go through block to affect targets.
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Garion wrote: »
    You should be able to block it, like all CC. But if you get hit by it, you shouldn't be able to block. Simples.

yet players still block while feared. iv had COUNTLESS players do this.
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    this is still a problem. I am getting tired of people blocking while feared.

this ability is the only reliable block breaking skill in the entire game right now, and it only works 25% of the time.

I laugh at people, when they tell me to use fear to get thru blocks, because, again, it only works 25% of the time. if that.

ZOS, please fix this soon.
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »

this ability is the only reliable block breaking skill in the entire game right now, and it only works 25% of the time.

I laugh at people, when they tell me to use fear to get thru blocks, because, again, it only works 25% of the time. if that.

I'm not sure where you're getting the only works 25% of the time number. Fear always works unless they have CC immunity. And Fear has, since the game went live, allowed the enemy to block. Nothing has changed, just peoples' awareness of the ability.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Fear goes through block to affect the enemy - nothing else does that. You can't make it also prevent them from blocking. That would be the most OP skill in the game by far.

Either Fear goes through block to affect them, but they can block still (and most people don't block anyways), or Fear works like all other CC in the game where it only affects them when they aren't blocking (and thus they can't block when affected).

...and many more.
    Options
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure where you're getting the only works 25% of the time number. Fear always works unless they have CC immunity. And Fear has, since the game went live, allowed the enemy to block. Nothing has changed, just peoples' awareness of the ability.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Fear goes through block to affect the enemy - nothing else does that. You can't make it also prevent them from blocking. That would be the most OP skill in the game by far.

Either Fear goes through block to affect them, but they can block still (and most people don't block anyways), or Fear works like all other CC in the game where it only affects them when they aren't blocking (and thus they can't block when affected).

then we all need to stop referring to it as a "block breaker"

and honestly, that "you cant have your cake and eat it" thing, was totally unnecessary.
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    then we all need to stop referring to it as a "block breaker"

and honestly, that "you cant have your cake and eat it" thing, was totally unnecessary.

Sorry, didn't mean it to come off as an insult. I was just using the expression because it fit perfectly with the conversation instead of directing it at you.

...and many more.
    Options
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fear in it's current form is fine. Just stopping them from using abilities for the duration is a great advantage, it's pretty much Negate for single targets. It is the greatest utility NBs bring to group fights, nearly every time my duo partner fears someone we get a free kill if they don't CC break immediately.

Don't believe me?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFdJp1evqBo
    Edited by Teargrants on October 12, 2014 8:55PM
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
    Options
  • Farkaz
    Farkaz
    ✭✭

If I remember correctly, it's always been like this since the launch of the game (as I tested it way back then).

I think Fear in it's current form is fine - removing the ability to use block while feared would be OP. It's already one of the best CC in the game since it's one of, if not the only, CC that can go through block to affect targets.

You remember it wrong. It is a bug that mighty ZoS gave us in 1.2 or 1.3 patch.
    You can see it in old videos
    1:40
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrzEdFX-t70
    4:10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp06U0BN5KE

Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You remember it wrong. It is a bug that mighty ZoS gave us in 1.2 or 1.3 patch.
    You can see it in old videos
    1:40
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrzEdFX-t70
    4:10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp06U0BN5KE

All that means is the person didn't hold block after being Feared or didn't have the stamina to block. That happens plenty nowadays as well, as people often let go of block once being Feared.

Actually, this shows that he did block while Feared. Look at the CLS (Combat Log Statistics) window to the right of the weapons bar. Right after he fears, he uses a light attack. And it shows that light attack being blocked. This is while Feared and running away. Then the next attack(s) after that aren't blocked, as he let go or ran out of stamina.

...and many more.
    Options
  • Farkaz
    Farkaz
    ✭✭
    @maysonet_ESO in first video (back in good times when most of DK was spamming bash) you can see that fear is breaking block. I don't want to arguing with you, because it's pointless. We just need a fix and you'll see who was right.
    Options
  • Matuzes
    Matuzes
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Its broken since 1.3.x or close to 1.3 patch. Thats why people call it "block breaker", get through block and prevent from using it.
    Matuzes - Imperial Nightblade
    Headhunters
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maysonet_ESO in first video (back in good times when most of DK was spamming bash) you can see that fear is breaking block. I don't want to arguing with you, because it's pointless. We just need a fix and you'll see who was right.

But I just showed you in one of your examples that fear can be blocked. Just because someone isn't blocking when feared doesn't mean they can't, just that they aren't. But showing they can block proves that blocking is possible in that period of time. And "back then", a lot of people didn't even know you could block when feared. To this day, there are people that don't know that.

I guess we'll have to disagree then. And either way, I certainly hope it's not "fixed" because it's already one of the best CC spells out there as is. Breaking block and causing targets to flee would be OP. No other skill in the game does that, and no skill needs to do that. And this comes from a NB who uses fear all the time.
    Matuzes wrote: »

Nope. Its broken since 1.3.x or close to 1.3 patch. Thats why people call it "block breaker", get through block and prevent from using it.

Or because people generally let go of block to break it, or keep holding block and let their stamina get drained from blocking attacks while feared. My terminology is "cracking them open", which is usually does.
    Edited by Synozeer on October 16, 2014 11:01PM

...and many more.
    Options
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wahee wrote: »
    For those who may not know NB fear effects targets who are blocking. Unfortunately, once they are feared enemies can also continue to block through the entire duration of the fear. A cc is of very little value if your opponent can continue to block during the cc.

Are you nuts?

You have the only NON BLOCKABLE hard CC in the game and you want it to be buffed? That makes nb op it has to be blocked like all the othe cc in game and you want it to be buffed?

Stop crying and learn how to play. Valid tactic cause i see you have no idea how to play your char
    Options
  • Wahee
    Wahee
    ✭✭✭
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Wahee wrote: »

Are you nuts?

You have the only NON BLOCKABLE hard CC in the game and you want it to be buffed? That makes nb op it has to be blocked like all the othe cc in game and you want it to be buffed?

Stop crying and learn how to play. Valid tactic cause i see you have no idea how to play your char

You seem kind of upset. Anything I can do to help?

Seriously though I made no judgements on buffs or nerfs I was simply pointing out a strange mechanic and asking if it was intended.

Options
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    One way or the other in 95% of situations when blocker or impulse
    spammer gets feared he goes down.
    Options
  • Luvsfuzzybunnies
    Luvsfuzzybunnies
    ✭✭✭

I should refer you to blinding flashes.
    Jukette VR12 DC Nightblade 14 day campaign.
    Kitten Kisser VR12 DC Sorcerer 14 day campaign
    Options