The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

class for a beginner

Alex_90
Alex_90
Soul Shriven
Hi. I just bought ESO (although after reading some post here I don't know if that was a good decision...) and I wonder which class should I choose.
In Skyrim I have two characters right now: 2H light armor warrior, and a heavy armor summoner with shield and mace.
So I think that I would like 2H or 1H+shield class, easy to leveling, for pve and maybe some group dungeons. What class would be the best? Maybe you could send me some builds?
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad decision to buy ESO. It's good game. Class I would say go with DK and as you like to go with light armor maybe go 2H and Destruction staff with light armor.

Next week there should be update that boosts 2H damage so it will be good choise. And light armor will give you bonuses to the much needed magica as your class skills will use that.

Most of the builds you find if looking you will find any class wearing light armor and staffs. At least for the first 50 levels play as you like.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the heavy armor summoner there is only the Sorcerer as they are the only ones able to summon creatures.

Oh, and many times welcome! :-)
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!!

Try not to get discouraged by the forums, it can be a bit harsh here. Truly, the game is amazing, there are some kinks to work out but overall, its worth it. I have been here since beta and still love it, hopefully you do too! :)

Things do work a little different here than in Skyrim, best advice I can give is just to try out all the different classes, you will figure out the playstyle that suits you best.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Key words for each class:
    Dragonknight: fire-based abilities, spikes, physical effects
    Nightblade: shadows, sneak, assassination, life-steal
    Templar: light-based abilities, healing, shields
    Sorcerer: curses, pets, lightning

Pick your favorite ;)
    If it doesn't feel right, re-roll another character.
    Wololo.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about the forum, this place always feels like ESO is the worst game ever. By all counts it was 100% sure to crash and burn... approximately one month ago. See how this worked out. :D

All classes can use all weapons and armors. You get weapon swap at level 15, so you can use both 1h and 2h. Your best bet would probably be a sorcerer, it can pull off both those builds and is the only class with summoning. But if you're willing to give up pets, then dragonknight would be a great choice.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about the forum, this place always feels like ESO is the worst game ever. By all counts it was 100% sure to crash and burn... approximately one month ago. See how this worked out. :D

All classes can use all weapons and armors. You get weapon swap at level 15, so you can use both 1h and 2h. Your best bet would probably be a sorcerer, it can pull off both those builds and is the only class with summoning. But if you're willing to give up pets, then dragonknight would be a great choice.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    It seems almost everyone is saying that Dragonknights are the strongest class, I have a V14 Dragonknight but prefer, so far, using my V1 Templar. Like someone said previously whichever class you enjoy playing the most.
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend Templar to anyone who are just looking to get started in ESO, it's versatile and the 3 different class lines represent this well offering warrior, mage and healer focused skills.
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
  • Alex_90
    Alex_90
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks. Right now I'm playing 2H DK - I'm level 7. It's fun but I'm going to try 2H Templar and Sorc Summoner anyway.