The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Will the justice system be phased?

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
^ Topic.

Finally had time to sit down and watch the entire Quake-con panel today. I liked what they were showing for the Justice System... but if it's not phased, isn't that like commercial suicide for this game?

The idea of countless greifers/trolls running around and killing quest givers, merchants, and bankers sucks. I know people have said these special NPC should be invisible but it's equally immersion breaking to see a guild of butt-holes running around killing every other tom, ***, and harry in the game.

Stepping over dead beggar bodies in Daggerfall every waking moment would be goofy...

I hope each kill/guard interact is phased - that way if you're minding your own business, you don't have to worry about your stuff getting wrecked.

Thoughts? Wish they were more upfront about this at Quakecon...
Edited by Johnny_NO_skillz on October 31, 2014 7:08AM
  • ontheleftcoast
    ontheleftcoast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently "essential" NPCs won't be killable. So merchants, quest-givers, etc. are safe. But piles of dead peasants will choke the streets until the system settles down. I don't think it'll be pretty at first but I do expect ZoS will do something about it.
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really don't hope they phased it.
    And have nothing against some are essential like in other TES games.
    And to avoide falling over dead boies all the time i do hope they make it really hard to do and survive in the cities.
  • Tipsy247
    Tipsy247
    ✭✭✭
    It will not be a massacre in every city. I think you'll see a few groups every now and then attempting to wipe towns, but will fail. The guards will be tough, and there will be just as many players fighting against them. I personally look forward to being on both sides of the fight. I know its a bad deal to bring up WoW but there was always someone from the other faction trying to take over towns of the other faction and it was never game-breaking.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did you also see the bounty associated with each kill? I don't remember the exact numbers but they were rather high. I don't think many people other than evil RPers will risk it at the beginning. Of course accidents will happen but most players won't shoot themselves in the foot and become pariahs in the main cities.
    Wololo.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Did you also see the bounty associated with each kill? I don't remember the exact numbers but they were rather high. I don't think many people other than evil RPers will risk it at the beginning. Of course accidents will happen but most players won't shoot themselves in the foot and become pariahs in the main cities.

Not really friend.

A group of three VR1+ players running around a city like Daggerfall or Davon's Watch killing level 25 elite guards left and right doesn't seem too far fetch to me. In fact these NPC kill squads will probably be how most players interact with this system.

Unless you make EVERY guard in EVERY city VR12+ to prevent high level players from grieving, no one is going to be afraid of them.

And if you make them such a high level, lower level guys won't even dare take advantage of the justice system, making it kind of pointless.
    Edited by Johnny_NO_skillz on October 31, 2014 7:35AM
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Tipsy247 wrote: »
    It will not be a massacre in every city. I think you'll see a few groups every now and then attempting to wipe towns, but will fail. The guards will be tough, and there will be just as many players fighting against them. I personally look forward to being on both sides of the fight. I know its a bad deal to bring up WoW but there was always someone from the other faction trying to take over towns of the other faction and it was never game-breaking.

Sorry for double posting but once again - regardless of preventative measures - it will be really hokey for every city to turn into a PvP pissing contest.

It's hard to focus on the lore and story of a quest when 10+ people are mass murdering NPCs and casting fireballs in your face.

Doesn't seem fun, breaks the very little immersion this game has left, and will probably scare/frustrate newcomers.

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's to hoping for V20 guards that make the ub3l33t5 and knuckleheads know what being worn like a slipper feels like!
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tipsy247 wrote: »

I agree with what you said.

Besides that since you mentioned WOW, there players can actually kill every NPC and yet hardly anyone does it.

I believe we all agree that WOW together with League of Legends has the biggest amount of griefers, trolls and bullies, yet people don't care about those NPCs.

In my opinion the Paranoia that some people at this forum have is unbelievable and it needs to stop. If someone reads the forum and wants to maybe buy ESO then he must really believe that his char and all NPCs are always dead, based on the false statements by the people here.
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually when I recently played WOW I saw a LOT! of town massacring going on.

Oh well either way we just gotta adapt. I know the justice system will also bring a lot of great, unique moments.
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be freaking cool :) The coloser it get to the other TES game the better ;)
  • Welka
    Welka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it won't be phased. It needs to feel like a living and organic world. Give the player more things to do and watch emergent gameplay florish. There's no way it will get to the stage of chaos some are describing, but if it did I'll take my DK to these zones with my guild and sort it out :P

Plus, it won't be far from what Skyrim got me used to. It wasn't rare to see guards running after a thief and I was always helping them catch him. And it wasn't rare either to have a bunch of vampires causing mayhem and killing people in town (and yes some were quest givers and shop keepers).

Can't wait to experience this again!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in cryodiil people allways are killing NPC's and the NPC's spawn realy fast, dont wory cause the spawn timer will probably be really fast on npc's.
    it will be fine, dont wory be happy :)
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you make EVERY guard in EVERY city VR12+ to prevent high level players from grieving, no one is going to be afraid of them.

And if you make them such a high level, lower level guys won't even dare take advantage of the justice system, making it kind of pointless.
    The idea isn't about fighting the guards... it's about not getting caught in the first place.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the feedback, but I imagine most of the people who are "looking forward to the mayhem" or a "return to a REAL ES experience." Are most likely going to be the same ones on the forum QQ'ing to the devs to nerf the system.

Historically, updates like this in MMOs don't go well.
    Edited by Johnny_NO_skillz on October 31, 2014 9:39PM