The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Arena PvP and/or dueling the only way to get stable PvP

BugCollector
BugCollector
✭✭✭✭
There's always so much lag going on in the Alliance War. It's just too big to play with decent FPS.

Why isn't there already a 5vs5 or 1vs1 option for the people who want it?
You guys keep on saying that it isn't so easy to implement, but seriously...
Give us these options already!

I'm not lying when I say this would bring back a lot of players. Most of my friends that quit too.
May knowledge guide you to enlightenment
  • Jabbar
    Jabbar
    ✭✭
    I play MMO's because I like MMO style combat, but mostly when it comes to gaming I like solo/small team competitions. Alliance war sucks. It sucked on Guild Wars 2 and it sucks here. It's player versus wall, zerg versus zerg. It's not PvP.

Give me a dang PvP arena and I'll start playing again.
    Hunt in the dark.

www.AsylumNocturne.com
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, PvP really needs some variety. The reason people troll so hard in cyrodiil is that the content has barely changed since beta. There aren't really any new strategies to try out when you're facing a zerg and you could literally put any group of 8 vet-level players together and they could successfully take a keep. If you want to keep people interested in the game, you've got to keep it challenging. Small scale, objective-based PvP would be SO AMAZING.
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also love this, my guild did some dueling among our members on different factions and it was a blast. My pie in the sky dream is that someday we'll get guild pockets of oblivion and will have the option then to duel each other.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the main reason seems to be that people believe it could take away from alliance war population. However, I personally believe it would actually add to it in 2 ways. 1) it would retain more pvp players who are simply bored of cyrodiil (give them something else to do rather than quit, non arguable) and 2) help attract more players to the game due to the great mini-game potential (tons of features that could go into arena).

So, in the end - a typical PVPer such as myself would simply switch between the two game modes. Some days I'd be running in Cyrodiil (business as usual), other days I'd que in for some matches to test out builds, or try to beat someone who's highly ranked etc. Having options is never a bad thing.

When I first heard of dragonstar arena I was very excited and some of my in-game friends and guild members have confirmed they had loads of fun. But it's simply not even in the same league in terms of repeatability as a pvp arena would.

Edit: If dragonstar arena killed PVE, then don't implement a PVP arena. I really can't see 50% of the players leaving Cyrodiil for the arena. Sure, a lot of people will enjoy it, but those same people won't only be playing arena either. You will still see them in Cyrodiil a lot. They wouldn't be there in the first place if they didn't like it. And they will like it much more once they get another option to switch to occasionally.
    Edited by LegendaryMage on October 29, 2014 10:14PM
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My guild and I are certainly waiting for Arenas.

Open world is great, and I'll always enjoy that. Arenas are special, though.
    Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the chance to test the 3v3v3 arena at Gamescom, which is probably what you had in mind with the term arena. It is basically a very good idea and the setting of 3v3v3 fits to ESO quite neatly in my eyes.

But there's obviously always the chance that two teams gang up which would basically destroy the whole event. Additionally the system of "Capture the flag in the middle" is a bit simple in my opinion, a bit more POI's would be awesome.

Unfortunately they did not confirm that they will ever release this arena to the live servers, but hope dies last. ;P

Apart from the things mentioned above I do not really see a disadvantage to arenas, the statement that Cyrodiil would be dained of players is not really defendable since the same can be said for the Imperial City, which is already rather close to release. (Yes I know the IS has entering conditions, but something similar could be implemented for arenas, even though it would not completely correspond to the setting of an arena as it does to the IS).
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just need a duel function and a PvP Arena for 1v1 2v2 3v3 etc. Nothing else.

R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    I just need a duel function and a PvP Arena for 1v1 2v2 3v3 etc. Nothing else.

...and a league system, some knock-out tournaments, functionality to make duels private or public to the audience, a feature to search for opponents/teammates as you search for PvE dungeons groups, ability to fight allies as well as enemies, ability to configure fight/tournament settings that will lock the player's UI accordingly (like no pots or no ults)...etc etc

if you ask for little, you'll get nothing. If you ask for loads you might get some :P
    Edited by Maulkin on October 30, 2014 11:20AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love some smaller scale objectives in Cyrodiil to make use of the quieter parts of the map giving the opportunity for those of us that like to solo to come across other solo players or small size groups, without the stuffiness of official duels.

At the moment, Cyrodiil is a be ganked or be zerged affair as a solo player cause everyone is clustered in one area, or large groups are all heading to the same area. Initiating a 1v1 anywhere usually lasts a few seconds because as you engage someone a couple of things happen; either 10 people pop out of stealth and gank you, or 20 horses are riding over the horizon to mess up the fight.

What is it about seeing 1 enemy player that needs an entire half zerg to dismount and claim their 6 AP each?
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love some smaller scale objectives in Cyrodiil to make use of the quieter parts of the map giving the opportunity for those of us that like to solo to come across other solo players or small size groups, without the stuffiness of official duels.

At the moment, Cyrodiil is a be ganked or be zerged affair as a solo player cause everyone is clustered in one area, or large groups are all heading to the same area. Initiating a 1v1 anywhere usually lasts a few seconds because as you engage someone a couple of things happen; either 10 people pop out of stealth and gank you, or 20 horses are riding over the horizon to mess up the fight.

What is it about seeing 1 enemy player that needs an entire half zerg to dismount and claim their 6 AP each?

This pretty much sums up most problems of PvP right now. (imo)

I suggest moving POI's, for example a reinforecement train which delivers ressources to/from a keep ressource, taking it out would grant you a AP tik a bit smaller than the one of capturing a ressource. I size it should more or less comparable to a dark anchor.

This would not only lighten the player density but also grant more opportunities for 1v1 Encounters. It would however not solve the arena problem with (the lack of organized XvX's).
    Edited by Sublime on October 30, 2014 12:13PM
  • Insurrektion
    Insurrektion
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler make it happen. We want some organized arena combat. Possibly even some battlegrounds where we can capture flags or control zones for points. Scrolls can't really be called capture the flag when you have 2 enemy factions with hundreds of players gunning for you.
  • Aranweh
    Aranweh
    You are true…
    When real pvp (arena, group vs group, etc…)will be up on teso i will be back?
    For the moment, it's just un playable (lag, freeze, rollbacks and when it is, it's just zerg based. Your metagame is really broken, do you test it?
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The 1v1 and group vs group in this game is extremely fun but hard to find unless you join a dueling guild.

I would love an arena:
    -Audience
    -Bets
    -1v1, 2v2, etc
    -Rankings / Leaderboards
    -Titles / Achievements
    - Ranked Matches / Special Rule Sets

Make it happen!
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • BugCollector
    BugCollector
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 1v1 and group vs group in this game is extremely fun but hard to find unless you join a dueling guild.

I would love an arena:
    -Audience
    -Bets
    -1v1, 2v2, etc
    -Rankings / Leaderboards
    -Titles / Achievements
    - Ranked Matches / Special Rule Sets

Make it happen!

Thx for your support, Sypher! :smile:
    May knowledge guide you to enlightenment