The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crafting Level at 25? How do you handle inventory issues?

lorien1973
So I'm level 25 .. I have purchased 90 bank spaces and 90 backpack slots. Everytime I buy more slots, I fill them up immediately with new crafting mats ... I'm finding I'm actively avoiding barrels just because I'm scare of what new ingredient will pop up next.

My crafting is around 10 across the board, 17 for alchemy. Is this low for level 25?

And how to you all handle inventory? I'm not a Elder Scrolls hoarder per se (my house in Skyrim wasn't completely full!) but there's like a million different crafting ingredients. I've already turned my level 5 sorc into a food ingredient mule. But I figure there has to be a better way.

Make 10 toons and have them all join my own guild? For 500 slots? Can you do that?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can only make 8 Toons so you can't create your own guild that way. Besides, I think you need 10 accounts, not 10 characters.

However that is how you have to do it. Make Mules and use them for Storage. Give them names that make sense so you know what they have. So, if your main is name Gelthor then you have a Gelthor Alchemy, Glethor Clothwood, Gelthor Enchanting etc.

Then give the mules the first two cheap bag upgrades (400 and 2000 to get to 80 total) and then you will have enough space. Try to limit the mule count to 4 to 6 of them so you can make alts that you can actually play.

Then you get to do what the rest of us do, play Alt Logging and log in and out of Alts to maintain your inventory.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Make mules to carry crafting materials.
    • Use Bank Manager Revived (link below) to automate inventory transfers.
    • Upgrade your bank
      • 1,000g 70 items
      • 3,300g 80 items
      • 6,800g 90 items
    • Upgrade your bags
      • 400g 70 items
      • 2,000g 80 items
      • 5,900g 90 items
    • Buy mounts for all your characters. Feed them oats till lvl 50.
    • Limit your research collection to one armor type and weapon type till 8 traits are researched. Move on to a new type of each.
    • Create a stack par stock on wood, ore and cloth. Sell your excess.
    • Use mail bouncing technique for temporary storage (link below.)
    • Decon or sell all items you don't need for play or research.
    • List items in a guild store for well over market value. It will remain on sale for 30 days, then be mailed back to you. There is a cost associated.
    • Right now, beverages and food buffs don't stack. Food buffs are superior, so I delete beverage ingredients. This will change in Update 6 or 7.

esoui.com/downloads/info753-BankManagerRevived.html

esoui.com/downloads/info20-WykkydsMailbox.html
    Edited by kewl on October 21, 2014 5:52PM
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds like WAAAAY too much work for a "game". I'd rather actually craft, do quests, and explore. It seems telling that someone actually wrote an addon specifically for exploiting the mail system for extra storage. I don't mean exploit as in a bannable offense either, at least I don't think it would be. I mean legit exploit. And where is a new player to get all of that gold to buy horses, bank additions, and bag additions for mules? It sounds more and more like I'm supposed to just level to 50 and not touch crafting or loot anything until I'm able to go out and do the insanely fun task of farming gold so that I can actually enjoy the game the way I want. I can also see how this would possibly push someone to buy gold with cash money, but I haven't seen any gold spammers. I guess they all left already.
    Edited by Ignotus on October 22, 2014 1:17AM
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Then perhaps this style of MMO will not be for you. I have max crafters for all crafts. The best way to achieve this is to de everything as you level. It is by far the cheapest and easiest way to level crafting. I have one toon who is my main provo character, he holds all the provo mats. I have one who is main enchanter, he holds the runes. One who is main alchemy, and so on. The bs, wood, and cloth mats with traits stones go in the bank. Oh, and one lvl3 storage alt that has all the treasure maps, extra trials gear I don't want to de, trophies, and pets.

All the characters took the time to level out a storage horse. My bank is at 240 slots and each character at 160 with said horse. How long did this take? About two months of working at it to max the bank. And the horses are a two months logging in once a day to feed them.

How do you make gold? You play your character. Like any MMO there is a magical sweet spot where once past that making gold becomes easy as. I have 3 v14s, a v1, and two mid 20s crafting alts that I am in the process of taking to v1 for update 5. Around level 40ish gold was never a problem again for me. Yeah I had to scrimp and save to get my bank slots, but once they're purchased they're done. Each character that I have run up after my main usually has at least 100-150k by level 50 just from running quests. Not to mention selling the stuff you find that people actually want. In most cases that means finding stuff on your main at endgame that people want. For example Warlock set items sell well. The other option is to get a character through Cadwells Silver to open up 3rd alliance and farm motifs. Not tough to do if you play the game regularly and if the gods of rng favor you can get two to three motifs a day to sell from a couple hours of running in circles and logon/off.

Don't like micro management? Always have gold issues because you refuse to "farm". Sad panda because once you get to 50 crafting you realize there is no market for you to sell to because everyone is self sufficient in game. Then once again. this style of MMO may not be for you.
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think this style of MMO is very good for me. I really really enjoy crafting, exploration, and sort of real-time combat, no quest hubs per-say, and no "go kill 10 boars" type quests. The ONLY things about ESO that I don't like so far are storage and gold. Everyone I've talked to has pretty much said that I have to level a character to 50ish in order to be able to afford anything. So I guess I'll just muddle through that first character and then maybe have more fun with the alts when I can afford storage and a horse.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I find works best for me is to use the bank primarily for woodwork, clothing, and blacksmith materials since there is a lot of cross over with those crafts. Have at least 2-3 characters researching in each. This way you don't keep researchables around too long taking up storage. Deconstruct regularly as well, and be ready to destroy or sell low use items to make space.

The consumable crafts, enchanting, alchemy, and provisioning have no ccrossover. Try to specialize a single character in each and store those materials locally on that character. Buy a horse and upgrade full inventory.

All this can be done using 3 - 4 characters tops. A main with a speed horse can easily do the three equipment crafts, but will have a hard time with the consumable crafts using this method. That leaves the rest of the character slots for mules if you like, though I don't use any as I play all my charcters. Might I recommend though, that you designate one of them for keepsakes, trophies, costumes ect. And one to temporarily store bank items when you need to move a lot of things through the bank. This way you can easily delete and remake the last character if you should need to hunt low level recipes or something.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Trick is, make your alts now. Buy em a horse if you've got the imp edition and log on to them at least once a day to feed it oats. By the time you actually get around to playing them, plenty of storage.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    And where is a new player to get all of that gold to buy horses, bank additions, and bag additions for mules? It sounds more and more like I'm supposed to just level to 50 and not touch crafting or loot anything until I'm able to go out and do the insanely fun task of farming gold so that I can actually enjoy the game the way I want. I can also see how this would possibly push someone to buy gold with cash money, but I haven't seen any gold spammers. I guess they all left already.

My low lvl chars sit on about 4k gold each. No farming, no tricks, just questing and gathering. Also have two vets that are over 90k gold. Its been very easy for me buy all the necessary upgrades to support eight characters.
    Edited by kewl on October 22, 2014 5:47AM
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    Also have two vets that are over 90k gold. Its been very easy for me buy all the necessary upgrades to support eight characters.
    Yeah, that makes it quite easy. ;) As I said, I guess the game is designed so that your first character is broke until high levels, then you can afford a horse and storage. I've probably made 4-5k on my lvl 10 newb, but that's hardly a drop in the bucket for paying for storage and a horse. Actually, a random person gave me 1k of that just for doing pushups! 1k is a lot for me though.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    It sounds more and more like I'm supposed to just level to 50 and not touch crafting or loot anything until I'm able to go out and do the insanely fun task of farming gold so that I can actually enjoy the game the way I want. I can also see how this would possibly push someone to buy gold with cash money, but I haven't seen any gold spammers. I guess they all left already.

I have taken 3 characters to VR ranks and had them craft along the way. They just don't craft everything. One does Wood/Cloth, one does Blacksmithing, one does Enchanting. The biggest challenge is storing mats (I make things for all levels not the level I am at). You just won't level your combat skills as fast, but you will still be effective.

Gold is easy to get in the game, just farm Public Dungeons near your level, and sell the loot to a Vendor (sell the whites, deconstruct the greens and better). With selling you can take the time to sell in the Guild Stores, but it is really more efficient to sell the items to the game vendors for base amounts as you will rack up the gold faster.

Also, the game provides, if you can craft, you don't need to ever spend any gold on anything but storage and repairs. You only really need Gold if you don't want to craft.

• GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim
    ✭✭✭
    Others have hit the nail on the head here for ways to get as much storage as possible. There are a variety of ways to do it.

Personally, I keep all of my unrefined mats for clothing, armor, and weapons, and style/trait mats for the same in my main bank, and constantly deposit those as I find them. When I get full stacks of these in my main bank, I move them to an alt that I have specifically for keeping stacks of mats. That way I always have stacks of mats I can use straight from my bank, and I can funnel all of the miscellaneous raw mats from mutliple toons into one space until I get a full stack and can move it into back stock.

I only have one, or at most two, of these crafts on one toon, especially since you need to use up skills to craft effectively, and that cuts into the points I can use for abilities. If you want to level all of the clothing/armor/weapons crafts, I strongly recommend a two (or more) toon approach. It allows you to get way more items as loot from quests, chests, and mobs, and then funnel them to the appropriate crafter. Two toons will get twice as many heavy items as one, and if you funnel all of those to one toon, you can decon them and level that craft twice as fast. Since deconning generates finished mats, I keep those on the toon that uses them, again, until I get a full stack, and then I move them to my back stock alt.

For enchanting and alchemy I have an alt devoted to them who holds all the base mats, and thats all I use those alts for. I don't do provisioning, but I wish I did, and I would use the same approach. Finally, I have an alt that I use to temporarily store glyphs until I want to decon them. This is probably unnecessary if you are actively keeping up with that craft, but since I'm not its a convenient way to keep hold of them. I also keep an alt for things like pets, costumes, and the cosmetic goodies that drop from public dungeon bosses, so those are out of my way. I even keep an alt for all the set item drops I get while I'm waiting to try and sell them.

And I don't even use horses, though I'm starting to think its not a bad idea. Anyway, I guess I would say that if you are trying to do all crafting on one character you are probably going to struggle, and since alts are a great source of storage, you might as well also use them as alternate crafters. It only takes hunting a few skyshards and a little leveling to get them enough skill points for one craft.
    Edited by GreyPilgrim on October 22, 2014 11:18PM
  • Laerania_ESO
    Laerania_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    lorien1973 wrote: »
    Make 10 toons and have them all join my own guild? For 500 slots? Can you do that?

No decent game design include making alts or "cheat" the guild system to play the game properly.

This has been discussed since beta but -unfortunately- the ESO designers are not willing to fix it. You have to endure it or vote with your wallet.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not too hard to manage Inventory.

First, leave alchemy and enchanting mats on the characters, as these can fill a bank up all on their own.
    Second, get more space, buy Bag and Bank upgrades, and of course get a horse and eat it oats (gives 50 slots in your inventory)
    Third, get rid of mats you won't craft with again. At level 25 for example you will never again wear armour made from Jutte or Iron, so unless you have a lower level alt, get rid of it.
    Fourth, deconstruct weapons and Armour unless you are going to use them or research them.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The single biggest mistake many newer and/or low level players make is that they loot every crafting material they see. Loot and hold onto only those mats you need or actually use. Especially provisioning mats. You'll find your
    inventory much easier to manage.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on October 25, 2014 10:51PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players in the game do not use mules or play the bank game to transfer materials between characters all day. I don't recommend that people start.

To build on what AlexD said...
    • Don't try to do all the crafts at the same time with the same character.
    • Only collect mats needed for the character. If you have alts, let them collect or purchase their own mats.
    • If you do collect for alts, choose your mats wisely and store them in the bank.
    • Use the mats. Don't store more than you need.
    • Sell mats you don't need, buy the ones you do need.

I am currently working on Blacksmithing, Clothing, Enchanting, and Woodworking across multiple alts. I am doing Alchemy and Provisioning on individual alts. I use my bank space to store the mats I need for the common crafts and make the individuals carry their own stuff. I only need to store those that are actually needed. I sell or dispose of the remainder. I mostly use the bank to collect stacks of things for sale, not for personal crafting use.

The only time I am in the bank is when I need to offload stuff for other crafters or stuff I will be selling. While I am there, I also note who else is in the bank while I am there. This is why I can tell you that most players do not do the bank alt thing.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • catpower
    catpower
    ✭✭✭
    Kewl mentioned Bank Manager Revised and I want to second that recommendation, the add on rocks!

You can create profiles for each character, so your alchemy guy can just click "bank" at the banker and it will automatically pull all Alchemy ingredients into their inventory.

On my main I have him auto push stuff to the bank so banking is usually really fast.

I am an avid crafter and Bank Manager Revised makes the crafting mule shuffle much more tolerable.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I can tell you that most players do not do the bank alt thing.

Your forgetting the Guild Stores is the other reason they are in the banks. Also, all my mules visit the banks about once a day.

According to this, and the poll did not provide a 0 option, so looking at the posts where people said 0, a bit more than half the players that answered use Mules

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/125915/how-many-alts-do-you-use-for-mules/

I have a feeling that those that answered 0 are not crafting in a bunch of lines. One character can do Woodworking and Clothing (which covers 80% of the builds that one would want to craft for) and not have too many inventory issues. Throw in Provisioning or Alchemy or Enchanting, then a single character is going to have problems. Unless they are farming gold to buy bag slots at the bank. My thought is, if your farming gold to buy bank slots, then you might as well buy what you need and not get the bank slots.

Edited by Nestor on October 31, 2014 5:44PM

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    This is why I can tell you that most players do not do the bank alt thing.

Your forgetting the Guild Stores is the other reason they are in the banks. Also, all my mules visit the banks about once a day.

Yes, if I see you in the bank more than once and you are not in there to be a bank mule, then even fewer people are using bank mules.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Unless they are farming gold to buy bag slots at the bank. My thought is, if your farming gold to buy bank slots, then you might as well buy what you need and not get the bank slots.
    The second mention of gold farming, really? I have all the gold I need without doing any of the activities associated with farming.
    My low lvl chars sit on about 4k gold each. No farming, no tricks, just questing and gathering. Also have two vets that are over 90k gold. Its been very easy for me buy all the necessary upgrades to support eight characters.
    Edited by kewl on October 29, 2014 4:37AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second mention of gold farming, really? I have all the gold I need without doing any of the activities associated with farming.

You have never picked a flower or scraped an rune node or looted a mob?

Farming is any activity that is done to acquire resources*. It can be done along with or during questing, or going to a quest or it can the reason you are running around in the world doing things. So, picking up a node while on your way to a dungeon is Farming. Killing a group of zombies until your bag is full then selling the loot is farming (and grinding). Buying things from the Guild Stores is kind of Farming, as you have to run around to several stores to find what you want, usually anyway.

Yes, you can get plenty of Gold in the game by doing quests. I do it all the time. However your not going to get enough gold to max out your bank/character/horse slots just by questing. It's not going to happen. Your going to run out of quests. PvP can provide a steady income, but most people use that up to repair or upgrade their gear or buy potions, so it really just supports that activity.

*Now, this might not be the MMO Standard Definition according Webster's or whoever appointed themselves the Arbiter of MMO Terminology, but it's what I call it. If you can think of a better term for acquiring resources in the game to use in the game, then I might change it.

Edited by Nestor on October 29, 2014 3:30PM

• Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • List items in a guild store for well over market value. It will remain on sale for 30 days, then be mailed back to you. There is a cost associated.

This is guild store abuse. Don't do it. Many people use guild store analysis programs like ShopKeeper and DataDaedra to analyze prices and calculate what the going rates are. If you stuff your Guild Store with overpriced stuff you have no intention of selling, you are harming everyone.
    • Right now, beverages and food buffs don't stack. Food buffs are superior, so I delete beverage ingredients. This will change in Update 6 or 7.

What this means is that you can't have a food buff and and a beverage buff active at the same time.

I'm maintaining stacks of beverage ingredients against the time when the new system arrives, at which point existing ingredients will be upgraded or possibly given a sale value; I imagine this will be particularly true of blue and purple ingredients. They will then be useful or valuable, or both. I devote an alt to this kind of storage. The only ingredients that I keep in my main bank and my provisioning character are the ones that I'm actively using.

The addon you should use to keep track of all of this is Sous Chef:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info163-SousChef-ProvisioningHelper.html

• Fivefivesix
    Fivefivesix
    ✭✭✭
    I made a separate character just to hold stuff I didnt have room for or want on my other character while running around. He is only lvl 5 or 6 but can hold 60 items on him. You share the bank with your other characters so its easy to access stuff. Also as other people suggested get back pack upgrades
    United we stand, divided we fall.