The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which Skills does spell crit effect and whch weapon crit?

GreyRanger
GreyRanger
✭✭✭
I have read in many posts that some class skills are affected by weapon critical, particularly ones that look like summoned weapons, and that others rely on spell critical value. I have also read some specific examples that seem counter intuitive, e.g. lotus fan being spell rather than weapon critical.

Is there any source where we can see which class abilities are based on weapon critical and which are based on spell critical?
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all magica consuming attacks with more than 20m range are spellcrit
    all staff attacks are spellcrit
    all dot components are spell crit (even though the innital hit may be weaponcrit)
    everything else is weapon crit

(im unsure about mid range abbilities like fiery grip and stone fist)
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

It's a good general rule of thumb but has some exceptions - for example Ambush is 22m range and uses weapon crit.

Another good rule of thumb is 'if it looks/feels like a melee attack, it uses weapon crit'.
  • Sord
    Sord
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if someone *cough* ESO *cough* made an actual list because these generic statements are not always correct as @Sharee pointed out. Or if there was an addon that stated or showed on the ability what its crit was based on character spell or weapon crit. So all you add on folks that know how to do that this one addon everyone would use I am sure.
    Edited by Sord on October 30, 2014 9:16PM
    www.fateslegacy.com Share your build or find a build here at Fate's Legacy!
    -This is your life and its ending one moment at a time-
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sord wrote: »
    It would be nice if someone *cough* ESO *cough* made an actual list because these generic statements are not always correct as @Sharee pointed out. Or if there was an addon that stated or showed on the ability what its crit was based on character spell or weapon crit. So all you add on folks that know how to do that this one addon everyone would use I am sure.

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if the UI was more detailed regarding the link beween a player's stats and their effect on his dmg/heal output and weapons/spell mitigation.

I have no idea how beginners manage to understand how any of it works, given how long it took me to get a rough knowledge of those mechanisms. I may be a little slow but still ...
    Wololo.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee based class skills go off of weapon crit... This is any of the nightblade blade attacks, DK flame lash, template biting jabs and cresant sweep... However, weapon procs, DoTs, and the Templar extra Magic damage all use spell crit.

Currently... A good way to test is to use annulment... Anything annulment absorbs uses weapon crit... Annulment currently absorbs bleed effects.
    "Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    all staff attacks are spellcrit
    all dot components are spell crit (even though the innital hit may be weaponcrit)
    everything else is weapon crit

(im unsure about mid range abbilities like fiery grip and stone fist)

I believe fiery chains remains weapon crit when you morph it and streak is spell crit, despite the general range rule. AFAIK dots from bow skills have been changed to be weapon crit as well.

Bleed effects procced from melee skills critting from spell crit would be totally awkward and bad design, but I wouldn't put them above doing just that...