The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Someone explain DoTs to me

Cody
Cody
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I feel stupid asking this, as I have played since beta, and should know... but do DoTs penetrate block? I received a reply that says they do not.... im curious.

if they don't, then im going to have to completely abandon my NB build if I have any hopes of being halfway decent at this game.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All dots and AoE penetrates block.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    alright. just wanted to make sure I was using the right set up. I use a lot of DoTs for the sole purpose of damaging thru block, and if it turned out they did not get thru block, I was just going to switch to a different class. now I just need to flip a few abilities.
    Edited by Cody on October 24, 2014 11:33AM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They get there, but the numbers are usually not large.

Each tick gets its own chance to crit, too, so that is one potential advantage to them.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only magical AoE penetrates block.

You can block every stamina-based AoE in the game except for Caltrops, I believe. I'm pretty sure you can actually block Caltrops too, but I tend to not stand in them long enough to find out.
    Edited by Varicite on October 25, 2014 6:10PM
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

You can block every stamina-based AoE in the game except for Caltrops, I believe.

Doh. Any time I think their mechanics design couldn't get any more inconsistent they come up with something like this.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

You can block every stamina-based AoE in the game except for Caltrops, I believe.

Doh. Any time I think their mechanics design couldn't get any more inconsistent they come up with something like this.

Oh, I think it's plenty consistent.

Magicka is pretty much just always better than stamina, no matter what facet of the game you're talking about. : P
  • Saet
    Saet
    ✭✭✭
    If thats true then that is even more ridiculousness. You already cant use stamina attacks while blocking like you can magic attacks and now this too! I shouldnt be surprised anymore.
    Saet - stam nb
    Hordak - magicka nb
    Demigorgon - stam sorc
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saet wrote: »
    If thats true then that is even more ridiculousness. You already cant use stamina attacks while blocking like you can magic attacks and now this too! I shouldnt be surprised anymore.

I stopped being surprised over 4 months ago.
  • Saet
    Saet
    ✭✭✭
    True! The surprises are more or less when things are actually done logically now.
    Saet - stam nb
    Hordak - magicka nb
    Demigorgon - stam sorc