Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summary of VR14 Master Crafter Writ Quest Rewards from PTS 1.5

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
At the moment, I am uncertain how I feel about the quest rewards for the various crafting writ quests in 1.5.

For my VR14 character who is level 50 in all crafting skills, the writ quests rewarded the following:
  • 20,000 Inspiration points for the skill (10,000 for Provisioning)
  • 75 gold
  • A skill specific goodie box for all six skills
  • Quest XP

The Inspiration points are useless given how I am at level 50 for all skills already. The quest XP, while not helping my character right now, may possibly help accumulate future champion points since ZOS is tracking this stuff now.

The 75 gold is a bit of a mixed bag. This is considerably more than I would have received if I had sold my Alchemy, Enchanting and Provisioning writ items to a vendor, although other players might have purchased my Enchanting glyph (white monumental glyph of health) for more than a vendor would.

However, the 75g is much smaller than the amount of gold I would have received from vendors for the Blacksmithing, Clothing and Woodworking writ items. For instance, I was required to craft 2 void helms, 2 void pauldrons and 5 void daggers which would have netted me 378g from a vendor. The Clothing items would have earned me 252g from a vendor and the Woodworking items would have sold for 408g.

That leaves the skill specific gear boxes I received. For Blacksmithing, the box contained a single Sapphire and a Grand Repair Kit. For Clothing, it contained one Diamond, a Greater Repair Kit and a pair of Shadowspun Gloves (which were not an item I crafted). For Woodworking, I received one Almandine and a Nightwood Lightning Staff which sold for about the same amount as the quest reward. Surprisingly, the Provisioning pack was the best one as it contained 10 Imperial Flour (63g each from a grocer),10 Golden Malt (another 63g apiece), 3 Piquant Jazbay Grapes and a green Eye-Opener recipe. For the writ, I only needed to craft a single Honey Pudding and a single Bervez Wine (126g in grocer bills for the mats and I still have 3 of each remaining).

Each of the skill chests was numbered like treasure maps are which makes me think the chests may contain the same items if I receive the same one multiple times.

I thought the Survey Reports might add some value if they did lead to a dense field of nodes and an increased chance of harvesting Nirncrux stones. Unfortunately that did not happen with the Survey Reports I received for Alchemy and Enchanting. None of the 14 total nodes from the two reports which I harvested contained a Nirncrux stone.

The Alchemy report led me to a collection of "Lush" plants which yielded two of each plant when harvested instead of the usual one. Overall, the field granted me 4 total Bugloss, 4 Lady's Smock, 2 Blessed Thistle, 2 Columbine and 2 Cornflower. If there had been some Mountain Flowers in the mix, I could have profited nicely from the 8 potions I could have made. Perhaps the next one will offer that.

The Enchanting report led me to a collection of "Dual" nodes where 2 Aspect, Essence or Potency stones could be harvested from each node instead of the usual one. I received 4 Rekuta, 2 Ta, 2 Kura, 2 Rekura, 2 Makkoma and 2 Oko in total.

Overall, I have not yet formed an opinion on the value of completing these quests for max level players like myself, especially given the time needed to gather the various mats for the big three skills. I will need to complete more of these writ quests, for which there is an achievement with three levels, that highest of which is completing 250 of these 6 a day quests.

Update: After completing the Alchemy, Enchanting and Provisioning writs for a second time, I received the same numbered reward chests as I had received yesterday. The contents of the chests differed, although I did received one of the same survey maps. It would appear the numbers after the chest refer to the improvement level in the passive skills: Solvent Proficiency for Alchemy; Metalworking for Blacksmithing; Tailoring for Clothing; Potency Improvement for Enchanting; Recipe Improvement for Provisioning and Woodworking for Woodworking.
Edited by LonePirate on October 15, 2014 1:45AM
  • TagaParti
    TagaParti
    ✭✭✭✭
    in the first place, how to get those writs? dont you need to have a certificate first like the patch note say?
    Sheliza "The Unkillable"

Facebook Page for the Tournaments
    Elder Scrolls Online Tournaments
    Please search and hit Like to see future post and updates for the events
    youtube channel: tagaparti
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are two ways to get those writs @TagaParti:

1. You skilled your crafting level (most of us have 50 in every profession) and get the writs directly
    2. You make a quest to get those writs.

After you get a writ, you can do a quest for the survey reports.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »
    There are two ways to get those writs @TagaParti:

1. You skilled your crafting level (most of us have 50 in every profession) and get the writs directly
    2. You make a quest to get those writs.

After you get a writ, you can do a quest for the survey reports.

This is partially true and partially not.

Before you can access the Writ quests, you must first become certified in the skill. To become certified, you must complete the certification quest offered in the first city of the first zone for each alliance. If you are level 50 in a skill (possibly lower but I am not sure), you can use the certify me short cut option in the quest which allows you to complete the quest in a few seconds.

The other certification method is to complete the quest in full which requires you to gather raw materials, refine them, acquire a style stone, make a level 1 item and deconstruct it. Alchemy, Enchanting and Provisioning have fewer steps than Blacksmithing, Clothing and Woodworking.

Only after you have been certified can you access the Writ quests. These quests are onc a day per skill and they require you to craft certain items and deliver them to a specific level appropriate location. The requested items are supposed to correspond to the level of your skill. So, if you have only locked the use of Calcinium Ingots, then the Writ quests ask you to craft Calcinium gear (and not Iron or Voidstone gear), although a guy in zone chat was complaining about having to craft items above his level.

When you complete a Writ quest, there is a chance (possibly a 1 in 3 chance) to receive a survey report within the rewards. These reports are like treasure maps which lead to several harvestable nodes with twice the yield as regular nodes. Supposedly these high yield nodes also increase the chance of harvesting Nirncrux stones; but that remains to be seen.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to be worth the effort at max crafting. For leveling up it's a nice addition, tho.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to be worth the effort at max crafting. For leveling up it's a nice addition, tho.

If you're looking to get that 1500 quests completed achievement, this does allow a max crafting skill charactor another way to gain quests towards that goal.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you're looking to get that 1500 quests completed achievement, this does allow a max crafting skill charactor another way to gain quests towards that goal.

Yeah, it adds 12 completed quests to the total (possibly 13 as I think there was one pre-quest before the 6 certification quests). Everyone should complete the very easy cert quests and the writ quests at least once. The writ quests only seem somewhat worhwhile if you really want to chase Kuta or Nirncrux. Everyone should complete the Provisioning Writ every single day if its rewards remain the best of the bunch.
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the clothier,woodworking,and blacksmith writs. For the sake of seeing how it all worked I only completed the blacksmithing writ.

For new or low level craft players: This is a fantastic alternative to finding a crafting partner to level your stuff up, and gives some regular activities for players.

For max level/craft players: I found this to be fairly disappointing personally, I didn't receive a survey map so the basic reward included a ruby (which I already have a stack of) a grand repair kit, and a voidstone girdle piece.

I have max material crafting on my blacksmith so I was asked to create something at a level my character isn't at, but to complete the task nearly took a stack of material. I could have easily just sold the stack of material, bought myself a repair kit and saved myself the effort.

conclusion: For anyone in the game currently that is even remotely interested in crafting, they most likely have their crafts at max level (aside from the glyph makers) so the inspiration isn't a great pay. I would have liked to see the rewards benefit players equally (if those rewards had a chance drop a rare motif or rare style material it might make the grind a bit more rewarding.) and the gold rate should be increased the average quest complete gives 100-300 gold so it would be nice to get a spread of that. If the quest has you use higher value materials to complete that should be reflected in the rewards (The idea is that as you dedicate your time and effort into your craft you should be rewarded for those skill points and time you have put in. A level 20 crafter should not be rewarded the same as a level 50 crafter.)

This could be done in a tiered way such as the more of these writs you complete they begin to get better exponentially. (level 50 crafter completes 1 writ gets the tier 1 reward, after they complete 5 writs they get level 2, 10 writs reaches tier 3, 20 reaches tier 4, and 40 would reach tier 5. Tier 5 could provide a couple purple improvement mats with a chance to have one or both be gold improvement mats and other items of similarly high value. Once a player reaches tier 5 every writ could contain the same value of rewards until the player doesn't complete a writ for a week and then the tiers would start to decline, tier 5 to 4, 4 to 3, etc.

Something like this makes the writs worthwhile for the crafters who have already dedicated their time, and these rewards could also be a way to receive new motifs (like dwemer) when they are put into the game. Some sort of a ramp up bonus provides incentive and a good payout for the mass amount of materials it will require to complete these objectives daily.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    Its not bad, and i would like lots more if was low level craftier. I haven't done any writ quest on PTS 1.5 because i am level 40 to 50 in all professions and some areas all 8 chars are max.

Its ok but seems kinda theme park approach to crafting. The only bad thing is it seems an extensive ZOS effort to create the quest and survey reports & whole writ system. This major investment in ZOS resources doesnt seem to balance with what it produced. Maybe it was mostly done months ago so it was just finalizing it. Still i think, there are so many small things they could fix or add some great new crafting content.

With that said here is great crafting idea i would love.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/121362/master-crafter-new-perk-for-crafting/p1

His master crafter perk is very simple to implement just dialog box upgrade & a perk. It allows something at level 50 to work for and lots of new customization.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to give it a run to see how I feel. But from the OP's write-up, I see potential even for maxed crafters. There's no one specific single reward to make it worthwhile, but everything combined seems like it will pay off in the long run. Heck, one thing that really caught my attention was the repair kits. Scoring some grand repair kits would make me happy.
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Its still messed up for lower level crafters that are maxed. For vet toons its "Deliver good to Belkarth" which is fine. For under vet its deliver to "Mages guild locus" which is in coldharbour. Which I have no way of getting to drop off.
  • tedsini_ESO
    tedsini_ESO
    ✭✭
    Can someone tell me how to access the certification quests? I'm a level 50 crafter in every skill except enchanting (45 and counting, with no partners). Seems I should be able to become certified, but I've seen no quest board or any other locus where I could pick up the quest(s). Thanks.
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the whole system at all. I like the crafting certification. But the writs are just fetch quests. They should instead use the crafting certification to enable players to accept crafting orders: by players for players, a framework that allows players to set crafting quests for other players.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how to access the certification quests? I'm a level 50 crafter in every skill except enchanting (45 and counting, with no partners). Seems I should be able to become certified, but I've seen no quest board or any other locus where I could pick up the quest(s). Thanks.

These certification quests can be found in the three starter cities (Daggerfall in Glenumbra, Davon's Watch in Stonefalls and Vulkhel Guard in Auridon). There are two NPCs which offer three certification quests each. One is located in the Mages Guild Hall and the other is located in the Fighters Guild Hall. It makes no difference which one you speak to first or which one's quests you complete first.

After the certification is complete, the writ quest boards can be found in pretty much every city for consumables (Alchemy, Enchanting and Provisioning) and equipment (Blacksmithing, Clothing and Woodworking). There is a bug right now where the equipment writs can only be obtained in your home faction's zones and not in the VR zones or Craglorn. The writs for consumables can be picked up in any zone.
  • tedsini_ESO
    tedsini_ESO
    ✭✭
    Thanks LonePirate. I see your name here on the forums quite often and always giving helpful advice/information. I appreciate the time you take to help out.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks LonePirate. I see your name here on the forums quite often and always giving helpful advice/information. I appreciate the time you take to help out.

You're welcome.

I received my first Blacksmith Survey Report the other day and it led to a field of ore nodes near one of the Nirncrux mines in Uppe Craglorn. All of the Voidstone nodes contained a Nirncrux stone. Five stones in total were found. The Galatite and Quicksilver nodes did not contain any Nirncrux stones.

I would recommend completing the top tier Blacksmith Writ if you wish to sell or trade or craft with the Nirncrux stones. Granted, I would expect price drops on the stones and Nirnhoned gear after 1.5 hits and the stones become more plentiful. You won't receive a survey report every day for a certain skill; but you will likely receive 2-3 a week per skill if you complete them every day.

The Provisioning Writ should be worthwhile to complete if you are still hunting for recipes or whenever the Provisioning revamp occurs (1.6?) with new recipes, including VR10 recipes.
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

You're welcome.

I received my first Blacksmith Survey Report the other day and it led to a field of ore nodes near one of the Nirncrux mines in Uppe Craglorn. All of the Voidstone nodes contained a Nirncrux stone. Five stones in total were found. The Galatite and Quicksilver nodes did not contain any Nirncrux stones.

I would recommend completing the top tier Blacksmith Writ if you wish to sell or trade or craft with the Nirncrux stones. Granted, I would expect price drops on the stones and Nirnhoned gear after 1.5 hits and the stones become more plentiful. You won't receive a survey report every day for a certain skill; but you will likely receive 2-3 a week per skill if you complete them every day.

The Provisioning Writ should be worthwhile to complete if you are still hunting for recipes or whenever the Provisioning revamp occurs (1.6?) with new recipes, including VR10 recipes.

Did the Blacksmith Survey Report you received take you to a location that was fairly safe for a VR1 player could go there without having to fight mobs to harvest the nodes?

Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grunim wrote: »
    LonePirate wrote: »

You're welcome.

Did the Blacksmith Survey Report you received take you to a location that was fairly safe for a VR1 player could go there without having to fight mobs to harvest the nodes?

Partially. There was a nest of wasps near a couple of the nodes whereas the remaining 5-6 nodes were far enough away from them that I could harvest the nodes without provoking them. The journey to the field was a safe one as the field was near a road. I believe there are three survey reports for each skill once you reach level 50 in the skill (not sure about lower skill levels). Once I collect the other two Blacksmith reports, I will have a better idea on how safe these reports are. I will say that of the other survey reports I have had for Craglorn for the other skills, all but one of them have been in areas where it is safe to harvest, although I did need to sneak or fight some enemies along the way for a couple of others.
  • Siliconhobbit_ESO
    Siliconhobbit_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the use of Inspiration if you are already maxed out in all of the crafting professions you have?

Seems like anyone actually leveling up a crafting profession will benefit more then someone already a maximum crafting level. In other words, master crafters are getting the shaft.

Is there some else that a max level crafter will benefit from, aside from the above list, when completing a crafting writ? It would seem to me that there should be some sort of replacement for Inspiration at that point.

Perhaps a swapping of Inspiration for gold, on a 100-1 basis maybe? Every 100 inspiration earned instead earns you 1 gold added to the reward already given.
    Sinister Swarm
    15 Years of Gaming Excellence
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the use of Inspiration if you are already maxed out in all of the crafting professions you have?

Seems like anyone actually leveling up a crafting profession will benefit more then someone already a maximum crafting level. In other words, master crafters are getting the shaft.

Is there some else that a max level crafter will benefit from, aside from the above list, when completing a crafting writ? It would seem to me that there should be some sort of replacement for Inspiration at that point.

Perhaps a swapping of Inspiration for gold, on a 100-1 basis maybe? Every 100 inspiration earned instead earns you 1 gold added to the reward already given.

Here are the main reasons I can think of for max crafters to complete these writ quests.
    • All Writs - For the quest XP to help you gain Champion Points or to level skills.
    • Alchemy - Replacement mats (no other good reason apart from the 75g).
    • Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking - For a chance at a survey report that could lead you to a location in Upper Craglorn where you will find 3-5 Nirncrux stones. There is also a chance you could receive an ornate item which could sell for 200+g.
    • Enchanting - For a chance at a survey report which could lead to 2+ Kuta runestones.
    • Provisioning - For the free recipe with every quest which could be handy for the upcoming Provisioning revamp and its VR10 recipes. Also, for the 10-20 ingredients which previously were only available for 63g each from grocers (thus saving you 630g-1260g).
  • thesongoftimeb14_ESO
    I got the Craglorn woodworking survey lll, but I have no idea how you guys figure out where the maps point to. Will have to wait for someones youtube video. lol
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Craglorn woodworking survey lll, but I have no idea how you guys figure out where the maps point to. Will have to wait for someones youtube video. lol

Compare the survey map to the game (M) map. Look for similar features or markings like borders, lakes, landmarks, etc. Search in the general area as some of the survey reports are not in the exact location on the report. The cluster of harvestable nodes will light up like a Christmas tree if you have the Keen Eye perk enabled when you are near their location.
  • thesongoftimeb14_ESO
    Thank you, much appreciated. I actually just got a second survey map. By looking at both of them, you can see how they work.
  • jaibierwb17_ESO
    jaibierwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Got the BS survey map and got 5 nirncrux out of it. Earned 2 kuta from the enchanting one. The BS map was like a map of the zone but only showed major roads. The enchanting one showed the rivers. You can get some of the major map features from them and work out approximately where they'll be.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Are these awarding regular XP? I made a quick note where one of my skills' progress was and it didn't change after turning one of these in.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the BS survey map and got 5 nirncrux out of it. Earned 2 kuta from the enchanting one. The BS map was like a map of the zone but only showed major roads. The enchanting one showed the rivers. You can get some of the major map features from them and work out approximately where they'll be.

U lucky .... hahah :)