The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Snipe in trials. Is it ever going to happen?

Thejollygreenone
Thejollygreenone
✭✭✭
Despite all the wonderful changes that have been made to make this ability more usable outside being an opener in pvp, it still is just that. An opener in pvp. Here are my thoughts in some more detail:
Ideally, many saw this being the go-to stamina dump for bow users, but for several reasons that has continually failed. The first reason was the clunky cast and animation time. This has been widely solved, actually, with the cast time reductions, and I'm sure some stealth animation changes.

However the second of which issues, while they tried to alleviate the problem, is still a problem. This issue being the minimum range. This is the one thing preventing this abilities use in trials.

The reason is simple, in boss fights in trials the most common and useful strategy, unless explicitly advised to spread out due to specific game mechanics, is to ball up tightly nearly right on top of the boss.

Everyone must be in this healing zerg or die horribly in the majority of fights, and the minimum 10m range on snipe is a lot larger than one would think on some of these bosses with massive hitboxes.

All in all, snipe is still only usable on a small percentage of fights, with a general dps loss for slightly better resource management. So begs the question, why use snipe at all, even despite all the changes made to it to make it more pve friendly? All this has done is made it more abundant in pvp and make a lot of people mad.

So with all this in mind, one starts to wonder if it's even possible to change Snipe to allow it to be used generally in pve while keeping its current function in pvp?
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/10/eso-guild-summit-day2/

Snipe – Reduced the cast time of snipe to become the bread-and-butter damaging ability for the bow line.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/10/eso-guild-summit-day2/

Snipe – Reduced the cast time of snipe to become the bread-and-butter damaging ability for the bow line.

Hehe I did see that, came out shortly after I made the post. Call me a happy camper. Although I'm still a bit wondering about the minimum range in trials, maybe groups can adapt.
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    The minimum range got removed I thought, or will be in the next patch, can't remember.
    Edited by Zsymon on October 20, 2014 1:44PM
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will be removed with Update 5 together with another decrease of Casttime to 1.1 seconds.

I think in Trails, best DPS will be with Snipe spam and Poison Injection every 8 seconds.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Kego wrote: »
    Will be removed with Update 5 together with another decrease of Casttime to 1.1 seconds.

I think in Trails, best DPS will be with Snipe spam and Poison Injection every 8 seconds.

^ This.

Yeah this thread has kind of become moot since the 1.5 pts dropped, the post was made under the lack of knowledge that there were any changes in the works, let alone the value of cast time decreased, which wasn't announced until the guild summit, i.e. later than the original post.

And furthermore the lack of knowledge that minimum range was also to be reduced, which they hadn't announced at the guild summit as far as I know and only came as of 1.5

So yeah, thread is dead, issue is resolved, no further discussion needed :)
    Edited by Thejollygreenone on October 20, 2014 4:08PM