The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

A Wonderful Game

aaronlove83
aaronlove83
Soul Shriven
Let me begin by asking that anyone who comments on this leave their sniveling crying and whining at the door. I am looking for an open honest and realistic discussion about aspects of the game as I level and play it for the first time.

History: I am a veteran MMO player, I am not going to bother with credits or lists of games. I am NOT a game designer, so I expect some of my suggestions, questions, and confusion will seem ignorant...because they are. I am however not an idiot that will be crying about nerfs and buffs, begging for insane expectations, or freaking out because the extremely busy developer couldn't jump on my problem within the 30 days I feel is nessesary (tongue in cheek),

1) So I loaded the game and after a long and very involved session of character creation I was very happy with my Imperial Templar Artax Dawnbringer. He looks Roman. He feels Roman. He is aged, and he is experienced. It fit beautifully with the idea that I was captured somehow and sacrificed. I loved it. The intro area seemed wonderfully crafted, rendered in a dark purple/grey that felt opressing and a bit grim. Loved it. Little did I know that after this I would feel like so much had been left out of this "Tutorial Area".
After this "Tutorial" I was deposited in the Ashland of a zone (I cannot remeber) and told to seek out those that saved me from drowning. Of course, being a veteran MMO player I decided this was for weaklings and I would venture out and start some quests to get a feel for my $80 perchase (yeah...Imperial remeber...)
OMG...my first clue that this was wrong should have been the fact that everything was level 5 and i was level 1, but nope...I had some faith in my abilities and 2 quests and almost 1 hour later I decided to go see that Dock Worker, because this felt harder than it should be.
So fast forward and I am on the acctual starter Isle, snow abound, and my Imperial Arse shivering and wondering "Why did I not start here?" In fact, when I enter the building I am directed to and og upstairs, I am even greeted by an NPC that acts as though I just awoke form the nearby beds...Is this because I started as Imperial and not Nord? Is this an error? It wasn't game breaking but it was definitely a jolt out of the Immersion, which is the foundation of an RPG. But, hey it's an MMO so bugs happen. I shook it off and continued. I am explaining this because I want to know if this is a bug, working as intended, or possibly a poor design decision that was overlooked?

2) My next question/suggestion: Is there a future change planned for the Chat channels? As of now it is an indistinct box in the corner that is barely percieved during gameplay, to the point I often either miss chat, or lose game focus trying to make the window reappear so i can read anything that may have been said. Is there an opacity setting to make it permenant? Is this an option? If not, can it be please?

3) Speaking of UI issues, what's with the map? The graphic itself is beautiful, but the wondow seems so...off. Like it just doesn't fit into the UI scheme. I dunno how to explain this but it's either too plain, or too...computer-ish. Whatever, probably a waste to try and explain it. Best I can do is compare it to Oblivion or Skyrim's map. It just doesn't stand up to that, if you know what I mean.

4) So after several deaths i am told I have to use a wayshrine, because I do not have Soul Shards? What are those? Did I miss a tutorial? I am pretty sure I didn't, but I will look for it on future characters...if it's not there it should definitely be added.

5) Let's talk about sheathing/unsheathing weapons. This is a BIG DEAL to me. I did not tell my avatar to sheath his weapon, yet when I go to attack I have to draw it because he did it on his own. (a) he needs to leave the weapon out until I hit the button to say otherwise, or (b) there should not be a delay when attacking with weapon sheathed. I understand realism, but this is an unnessesary penalty when I did not sheath the weapon to begin with. Please fix this.

6)Block reaction time. I dunno maybe it's just me being a veteran tank even in other action oriented games, but block should cancel ALL OTHER ANIMATIONS. Especially when the Mob action is faster than the block animation. This makes me fear higher level tanking...

For now this is all I have. I hope for an answer, and if anyone has something CONSTRUCTIVE to add, I welcome it.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So fast forward and I am on the acctual starter Isle, snow abound, and my Imperial Arse shivering and wondering "Why did I not start here?" In fact, when I enter the building I am directed to and og upstairs, I am even greeted by an NPC that acts as though I just awoke form the nearby beds...Is this because I started as Imperial and not Nord? Is this an error? It wasn't game breaking but it was definitely a jolt out of the Immersion, which is the foundation of an RPG.

It used to be the starting location, but people complained that they felt too constricted, they couldn't just pick a direction and start wandering across the continent - in short, it wasn't enough like skyrim, and that's what people were expecting.

Options
  • aaronlove83
    aaronlove83
    Soul Shriven
    Sharee wrote: »
    So fast forward and I am on the acctual starter Isle, snow abound, and my Imperial Arse shivering and wondering "Why did I not start here?" In fact, when I enter the building I am directed to and og upstairs, I am even greeted by an NPC that acts as though I just awoke form the nearby beds...Is this because I started as Imperial and not Nord? Is this an error? It wasn't game breaking but it was definitely a jolt out of the Immersion, which is the foundation of an RPG.

It used to be the starting location, but people complained that they felt too constricted, they couldn't just pick a direction and start wandering across the continent - in short, it wasn't enough like skyrim, and that's what people were expecting.

Ah, expectations, the dirty evil slayer of fun... Ok I can respect that. However, I think there should be some reasonable expectation that the game would be far different. Every MMO has a starter area. Every MMO has a tutorial. But, I digress, the Forum and MMO player base is slightly less apt to accept anything be status quo. Hopefully they fix this and integrate it somehow in the future.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) So I loaded the game and....I am on the actual starter Isle...."Why did I not start here?"....working as intended, or possibly a poor design decision that was overlooked?

This is working as intended. Back during the Beta all we had were the starter islands in the beginning, so this mechanism was introduced to allow for quicker access to higher level game content. Currently, if you have a higher level Alt that can craft, you can make gear for your L1-3 toon that can allow them to survive the zone you are placed in.

2) My next question/suggestion: Is there a future change planned for the Chat channels?

You can make the Chat Box Larger so it's more noticeable, and in the options you can include or exclude the chat you want. You can also make new chat windows for specific channels (guild, zone etc)

3) Speaking of UI issues, what's with the map?

Map is what it is, shows me where I am and where stuff is. There are add ons that add information to the map, like Skyshard locations or Lorebook locations or points of intereset. Go to ESOUI.com for that.

4) So after several deaths i am told I have to use a wayshrine, because I do not have Soul Shards?

Soul Gems are what you need to be resurrected in place. You buy them from a Mystic, usually near an Enchanter, but not always. Then, use the Soul Trap spell that you are given by the game and go kill Mudcrabs. You will have to have new Soul Gems for each 10 levels. There are mudcrabs in each zone so no issues filling them. Also, once you get your World skills up, there is a passive that gives a 10% chance to fill a soul gem, so you never need to farm souls again.

Skyshards are items that once you find 3 of them, then you get a skill point. The Skyshard add on for the map helps in finding these.

5) Let's talk about sheathing/unsheathing weapons.

The stock Sheathe Unsheathe button is Z, rebind it to something that you won't hit with your pinky. BTW, a left click to attack will unsheath the weapon, or use of any attack skill, so you don't need to unsheathe unless you want to.

6)Block reaction time.

Just remember, you can Hold Block and use your skills (not melee attacks the skills you put on your skill bar) Block reacts fast enough for me, but you want to get block up as soon as you see the tells from the enemy, because the attack effect sometimes gets initialized before the NPC fires off the attack. This is being addressed with each patch, so it happens less and less now.

Edited by Nestor on October 14, 2014 4:53PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • adean27
    adean27
    ✭✭✭
    Contact me in-game @The_Shindig or PM me on here and I would be more than happy to meet up with you in-game and show the ropes.
    Shindig
    Director
    United Gaming Initiative
    www.unitedgaminginitiative.com
    Options
  • aaronlove83
    aaronlove83
    Soul Shriven
    Hey thanks all I appreciate the help. A new question, does anyone know if there are plans to improve what can best be described as "clunky animations" ? I'm not against the active rooted combat, like TERA was, but it feels like I am gimped by comparison to MOBS. Maybe it is a ping issue? Working as intended?
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can move around just fine most of the time. Could be lag if your herking and jerking across the screen.

If you hold Block, then you move a lot slower,so consider that. Most enemy attacks seem to give you a Snare. When I am kiting zombies, it seems the first one that hits me knocks off about 50% of my speed. Look for some visual effects around your feet for that. If you get that, you can double tap a movement key or click L & R on the mouse at the same time to break free (I think, it may not work on all snares or the snares could be fading by the time I try this)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Although you didn't specifically ask, there are MANY addons that can be used to improve the UI. Love them or hate them, but it seems ZOS intentionally left the UI somewhat sparse to be improved by using addons. Someone already mentioned ESOUI.com, the best source of addons IMO, but I also recommend that you find a program called Minion. It is an addon manager that will install addons and offers an easy way to update the addons. Downside of addons, because of the API access ZOS allows, is that with every game patch, there is a chance addons will cause UI error messages. Again, Minion is a big help fixing those issues.I'm using about 30 addons. Welcome and happy gaming :).
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game, @aaronlove83‌. These comments pretty much cover your question, but let me add one or two things.
    Nestor wrote: »
    I can move around just fine most of the time. Could be lag if your herking and jerking across the screen.

If you hold Block, then you move a lot slower,so consider that. Most enemy attacks seem to give you a Snare. When I am kiting zombies, it seems the first one that hits me knocks off about 50% of my speed. Look for some visual effects around your feet for that. If you get that, you can double tap a movement key or click L & R on the mouse at the same time to break free (I think, it may not work on all snares or the snares could be fading by the time I try this)

This brings to mind the fact that that these visual cues are toggled in the settings menu. Just make sure they're on, or you won't see those "heavy attack windup" lines or the "I'm casting a spell" lines, or the other visual cues that improve your situational awareness. These cues are something that has improved a great deal since the game first came out.

By the way, there are passives that a) will fill 2 soul gems per kill and b) let you res once an hour without using a soul gem, so the whole soul gem thing develops as you level. And sometimes they drop from mobs.

As for the starter area stories... yeah, they didn't change the original quests when they made the area skippable. There are a few quest clunkers like that in the first few levels, as you encounter people you would have met but hadn't but they act like they know you already. There are other little story inconsistencies here and there, but they don't amount to much.

Have fun!
    Edited by Srugzal on October 19, 2014 12:47AM
    Options