The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Thoughts of a brand new VR1

MissBizz
MissBizz
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I have finally hit VR1, and I have been playing since April. Ridiculous you think, stop and smell the roses I say. Now for my thoughts..

I really enjoyed the 1-50 content. I struggled at some points, and felt very powerful at others, and I think that was a good mix. I was interested in the characters and what was going on. First small issue - I was outleveling my area, fast. I do like to complete everything, so I get the entire story, and get to learn the entire area. Once I discovered what happens in the level 50/vr1 area I figured I better catch up to my own quests, so that I wasn't stuck at level 50 for an extra week gaining nothing. I did take part in PvP a little bit, and the first few area's I ensured I did everything - dolmen, world bosses, dungeons etc. I gave that up once I realized I was outleveling my quests.

Then the final fight before VR1 happened. I studied, read forums and guides, did everything possible to help me. I should explain. I'm an average player. Actually, a bit worse than average. I don't make 'builds' I just pick what I want, and do not even mention min/max, I don't get it. I just play to have fun, and I'm usually not that great (er, even bad). But that fight was easy. I had seen many (much earlier) posts stating how extremely hard that fight was. Well, if it was that hard, it's a good thing it changed a bit. But I feel that with the type of player I am, I should definitely struggle in a major battle, as that means your average players would probably do well. But I didn't.

Then VR.

Zone chat doesn't move, it's actually quite lonely... I am hoping it's due to the time of day I am online, but I'm not convinced it is. As well, I also read how hard the VR content mobs were... they are not. I can easily take on a few NPC's and win the battle without a self heal even. Maybe I just have ventured far enough yet? As this was as of tonight I hit VR.

I'm usually one to ask for something to be easier. But I am not seeing it here.

On a great note, due to VR's being vocal in how extraordinarily long it takes the level.. AWESOME. This means I can actually complete all the quests, check every nook and cranny, and dive into every delve without the worry of overlevelling.

Did I fluke out on picking my 'build' right? Or did they really make it that much easier?

I do love playing the game, and will continue to do so. I really enjoy the crafting and stories (unfortunately not the graphics, but that's my fault, not ZOS' haha), and really can't wait to try out the 'real' end game content such as Craiglorn. But.. will it be nerfed by the time I get there too? What were your thoughts when you hit VR?
Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • ShirleyShine
    ShirleyShine
    ✭✭✭
    :) I'm pretty much the same as you, also played from the beginning and reached V1, [much to my surprise] as sometimes I think I fish more than fight.
    I had a quest 'left behind', and found when I went back for it, there were two more I hadn't collected near there, and that quest, that 'greyed out' on me actually gave me Vet XP.
    I am really pleased that I didn't play the other Pacts with Alts, it is great to experience the zone I moved onto with Cadwell's Silver for the first time.
    It makes sense that it is still doable because they start us in the easier zones I think?
    As a NB I certainly haven't found the game to be a walk in the park, that's for sure. I seriously doubt I would ever have got through to the final fight with the Big Boy on my own, although I was surprised that I didn't die in the final fight, it was not that easy to keep magic and stamina balanced, and had I not got really good at dodging, and just slogging it out, things could have been very different.
    I made the uninformed choice to go with a Breton NB in Redguard armour, with dual wield swords. What a lucky choice it turned out to be.
    Maxed HA and DW were pretty much what kept me alive through most of my Boss battles, and maxing provisioning was a great choice too.
    I find it exciting that after reaching the 'Final Battle' and completing it, I virtually have another two games to play.
    I'm in no rush, and will savour it, and do a lot of fishing along the way.
    War....war never changes
  • MurkMuffin
    I believe VR content was meant to be enjoyed as a group. I was one of the people that really enjoyed the AD storyline and now that I am VR, I find more enjoyment out of questing (or grinding even) with my friends or working on crafting if Im by myself.
    Edited by MurkMuffin on October 16, 2014 4:27AM
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Breton Sorcerer - Stria

For The Queen!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does make sense as you're able to meet people in your 1-50 experience.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @MissBizz I know what you mean. I felt the same when I was VR 1. I just quested a while lonely, but that was veeeeery boring because the duration of leveling was very long.

I found the motivation again when I began to raid the aetherian archive with my guildmates. We were VR 1-6 then and we had a lot of fun, the trial was a real challenge and it was so cool! That motivated me to make trials in the week for all VR 1-10er to level a little bit (1. and 2. boss) and instead we went to the dungeons and had a lot of fun together.

Today, I am Veteran 12 *proud* and our guildmates who are VR 1 now, have also fun with the aetherian archive and the dungeons.

At the moment the most people I know are leveling in Craglorn when they reach VR 1.
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Did I fluke out on picking my 'build' right? Or did they really make it that much easier?"

They made it much much easier. Initially the VR ranks were quite difficult. One had to truly have an understanding of their build and a good grasp of off/def skills. This of course gave rise to a great outcry from the "casuals".

My toons (2) were around V6 when they nerfed the VR levels back in May(?) I think. It was sadly a rather unchallenging stroll to V12 after that.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have read up ahead of the Molag fight, you were well prepared with the information and that's why it was disappointment.

When first reached vet zones I wondered how hard the mobs will hit and soon noticed that ok it's not that hard and started doing stuff just casually until came across one ice mage which normal hits were 400 per hit and downed me quite quickly. After that I had to start use more concentration when fighting.

You will notice that Vet zones will be much quieter than pre-Vet. You will do solo delves alone, for world bosses and dolmens you might need to yell for help. You will see other players every now and then (mostly towns) but not nearly as much as you did in pre-vet.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Darthryan
    Darthryan
    ✭✭✭
    Ya with the nerf it was too easy. Before the nerf, if there was 3 mobs, most of the time i would die or come close to it. After... a little too easy.I just did caldwells silver and gold then I grinded in craglorn from v7 to 14. I got tired of the same old quests. Pvp is the most fun at 14. Do it. If you're a dk.... you'll feel the godmode that zos has implemented for u.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mriguy1981 wrote: »
    Pvp is the most fun at 14. Do it. If you're a dk.... you'll feel the godmode that zos has implemented for u.

The question is... how long? :smiley:

But I agree, PvP is a very good thing instead of questing ;)

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done a very small amount of PvP and did enjoy it, my concern in that I also love the quests and even upon leaving Stonefalls I'm a quarter way through VR2. I bthink I will join you all in Cyrodiil once I have completed all the Caldwell quests :)