The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to counter Velocious Curse?

Muizer
Muizer
✭✭✭✭✭
What shoud I do if I encounter an opponent who fires velocious curse at me from long range? Closing the gap is no option, nor is running away as they're always much faster than me. Evidently I cannot heal either. Does that make me just a sitting duck or is there something I can do?
Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might help if you mentioned what class you are.

If you are a DK, using Reflective Scales will block most other Sorcerer damage, giving you breathing room to heal.

Having a resto staff as an off-weapon is a good idea for anyone in PVP.
    Edited by Phinix1 on September 28, 2014 10:11AM
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bow with snipe. Fight fire with fire. Ofc you need lots of wep damage and crit. Dead in 4-5 shots.
    Edited by AreoHotah on September 28, 2014 10:19AM
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    regardless of you class purge and its morphs is your friend
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    regardless of you class purge and its morphs is your friend

^^

The Efficient Purge morph makes it cheap enough even for stamina users to use multiple times in a fight.
    Edited by Phinix1 on September 28, 2014 10:35AM
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, so the purge description is faulty? It says it removes negative effects from allies. Doesn't mention the caster.

Have to say that by now my skill bars are almost overflowing with abilities to counter/deflect/absorb.

I play a DK. I've read somewhere that reflective scale doesn't reflect the curse though.
    Edited by Muizer on September 28, 2014 10:42AM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Luvsfuzzybunnies
    Luvsfuzzybunnies
    ✭✭✭
    Remember after purging if they curse you again the duration of the curse is cut in half. Curse is actually purges counter. Since curse is a negative status effect but the duration being halved is actually bad for the purger.

Edit: Its better to just let curses blow up on yourself than to purge them as curses damage is not the highest of skills in the sorcs arsenal. Only problem is if you can't pop their sheild stack you are gonna have a rough go of it. If you use bow or can get them locked down in melee range those would be solutions but since they have bolt escape good luck keeping them in melee unless you enjoy exploiting unbreakable ccs.
    Edited by Luvsfuzzybunnies on September 28, 2014 10:48AM
    Jukette VR12 DC Nightblade 14 day campaign.
    Kitten Kisser VR12 DC Sorcerer 14 day campaign
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every skill that can remove a negative effect will help you here, but since purge is still expensive, even after the morph, you might not wanna use it multiple times, cause that would drain your magicka. Another option would be to cast some shields, which might be cheaper and would protect your actual health from being hit by the curse, plus protect you from other attacks. with harness magicka the curse explosion would also replenish your magicka which is always good. So a mix between purge and shields should be pretty effective.
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    Ah, so the purge description is faulty? It says it removes negative effects from allies. Doesn't mention the caster.

Have to say that by now my skill bars are almost overflowing with abilities to counter/deflect/absorb.

I play a DK. I've read somewhere that reflective scale doesn't reflect the curse though.

That is something that confused people from the beginning. If ESO mentions "allies" then ESO means you too. So allies are you + others.

No, curse can't be reflected since it is not a projectile. But scales prevent sorcs from using their dps-hammer, so it's not a bad thing to use it.
  • ZOS_ShannonM
    ZOS_ShannonM
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks.
    We wanted to inform you that we have moved this thread to the Alliance War Skills forum because it was a better fit for that category.
    Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks.
    We wanted to inform you that we have moved this thread to the Alliance War Skills forum because it was a better fit for that category.

Is it? Velocious curse is a sorc skill, not an alliance war skill o_o
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garion wrote: »
    Hey folks.

You are right. Just because we recommended purge as a possible counter skill for the curse, doesn't make this post fit better in the alliance war category.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks.

This thread is about how to counter it tho. And that implies PvP.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks.

well he is asking how to counter it, and the only place where you need to counter it is in pvp, hence why it should be in this forum

though more fitting in Alliance war, and not the skill section
    Edited by Artemiisia on September 28, 2014 6:54PM
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm no. We are talking about a particular skill which is not an alliance war skill. And we are talking about ways to counter it. One possible way is to use one particular skill from the alliance war skill tree. But we did also discuss other ways to counter it. This post does not become related to alliance war skills only because one particular alliance war skill got mentioned. There are also other ways to counter this skill which which include class based skills and the already mentioned use of shields.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm no. We are talking about a particular skill which is not an alliance war skill. And we are talking about ways to counter it. One possible way is to use one particular skill from the alliance war skill tree. But we did also discuss other ways to counter it. This post does not become related to alliance war skills only because one particular alliance war skill got mentioned. There are also other ways to counter this skill which which include class based skills and the already mentioned use of shields.
    You could make a case that this should be in the alliance war section rather than alliance war skills section, but there is no doubt that it belongs into a pvp section of the forum, since pvp is where countering player skills comes into play.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this can be closed now, as it's turned into a discussion of moderator action.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Guess I have to go figure out now what ability to sacrifice to make room for purge.
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this can be closed now, as it's turned into a discussion of moderator action.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Guess I have to go figure out now what ability to sacrifice to make room for purge.

One last thing: i personally wouldn't use purge for curses. But if you're burning or get marked by a nightblade, you should purge as soon as possible.
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

CLOSED
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What shoud I do if I encounter an opponent who fires velocious curse at me from long range? Closing the gap is no option, nor is running away as they're always much faster than me. Evidently I cannot heal either. Does that make me just a sitting duck or is there something I can do?

This is what i do, i use harness magicka sheild right before the curse goes off. its a pretty cheap sheild that is cost efficient even for stamina builds. it negates the damage of the curse and gives you mana back. this may be the best resource friendly suggestion i can think of.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Mendoze
    Mendoze
    ✭✭✭
    Curse really isn't that powerful spell, so in most cases you don't really need to do anything. Best defense however is probably shields. I might be wrong, but it also won't stack. So if some other sorcerer also curses you, it will overwrite the one you already had and the timer resets. Curse in itself does not lower your stats or anything, it just explodes after 3.5 seconds, so it's not necessary to purge it.