The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Have they broken stealth again?

GrimMauKin
GrimMauKin
✭✭✭✭
Stealth (and a lot of other stuff) was badly broken badly by patch update 4 so that stealth radius was badly increased. I subsequent patch and hotfix sorted the stealth radius issue fairly well for me, but post 1.4.5 it seems pretty ropey again and I'm again getting detected in stealth mode approaching from the rear!

After all the embarrassment of update 4 they can't have broken it again can they?
Edited by GrimMauKin on September 30, 2014 7:19PM
I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody else experiencing this then?
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They changed the way the eye displays while you're in stealth, it not so much broken as it is poorly reconfigured.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have passives in this skill line that are much weaker then previous patches, so to me i will say "it's broke, the stealth is lesser and weaker then previous versions of stealth"
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭
    It's a different sneak with "about-to-become-detected" half opened eye, which infact doesn't help me one bit. It also have become unreliable and the radius of detection fluctuates, so is it broken? IMO, yes it is.

I'd prefer the old system we already had for 6 months and that resembled sneak in the Skyrim game.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    GrimMauKin wrote: »
    I think we are just worn-out about complaining on all the various broken stealth/invisibility issues, and broken NB skills. NBs have been basically running in to walls since release. Stuff will work; then it won't; then it works differently, so we don't know if is really broken; rinse and repeat.

• Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »
    I think we are just worn-out about complaining on all the various broken stealth/invisibility issues, and broken NB skills. NBs have been basically running in to walls since release. Stuff will work; then it won't; then it works differently, so we don't know if is really broken; rinse and repeat.

Yeah pretty much that.
    So yes, its still broken, among other things. But at this point why another thread for it? It's common knowledge by now.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else's sneak "eye" sometimes just keep slowly winking at you even though no one is around?
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on October 1, 2014 5:34PM
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else's sneak "eye" sometimes just keep slowly winking at you even though no one is around?
    Its just flirting ... I am not really sure about what the current sneak/eye really is.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My Bosmer Stealthy passive was broken before the hotfix.

It is working now. Can easily get close enough to open with Concealed Weapon and remain completely undetected from behind.

Medium Armour seems to have some issues though. Seeing no notable increase to Stealth from Armour passive.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Pretty annoying since I stop moving and look around for who is close to spotting me, usually nobody around.

Other times I sneak with no cloak right up behind and feed. Still other times I'm out of range of Ambush coming from the side and get detected.

Something is rotten with stealth. It's an elephant in the room, we keep hoping for something besides "Move along, nothing to see here!"

It really has come to the point of hilarity. I fully expect to have some new aspect of my class cease to function every time there's a maintanance, since past performance is indicative of future results.

Serious question? (I've only ever leveled a NB)

Is there any coresponding DK, Sorc, or Temp abilities that 1) Are broken, 2)have been broken since the beginning, 3) are further broken each patch?

Bonus question: do the other classes have passives too that 1) Are broken, 2)have been broken since the beginning, 3) are further broken each patch?

If not, why not? Why are nightblades the redheaded stepchildren?
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    I had someone following be from behind even when i was spamming cloak, he just waved at me then attacked me.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »
    I'm going to just give up on my nightblade for the second time. The sorcerer class at least seems somewhat consistent from patch to patch.
    :trollin:
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    Having strange unpredictable stealth and Shadow Cloak behavior since 1.4.5. For the present I am experimenting with other classes to see if I want to level something else or just take a break from ESO. The unpredictable/unstable nature of NB abilities has kind of worn me down. Pity since mostly I love the game.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've had it open for seemingly no reason... I just assumed there was a mob spawned just outside the area waiting to be ported in on a trigger or something - that used to happen back in Oblivion and Skyrim a bit, the Fallouts too.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes it is still not functioning as it was before the initial screw up.

And, to be fair, what they now claim is how it is supposed to work is not very good anyway.

But I learnt to cope without shadow and will now cope without stealth. But would be cool to be one of the classes they actually fix stuff for...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... its not a bug, its a feature

just waiting to test on PTS
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not tested but im going to say probably and with their track record probably threw in a nb nerf too
    Edited by lathbury on October 1, 2014 11:07PM
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    Given the lack of communication it is impossible to tell if they "broke it" in the sense that it is bugged or "fixed it" in the sense of making it function now how they want it to be. It is clear that as of 1.4.5 stealth and Shadow Cloak (2 different issues) don't have much use. I just wish I knew where they are going to I could decide what to do with my main character, a shadowy NB, at least a couple of months ago.