The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nightblade killing machine.

Shader_Shibes
Shader_Shibes
✭✭✭✭✭
So i finally hit vr14 on my nightblade and i want to treat him. I will craft him all legendary armour, weapons and enchants. Now, i really like the whole stealthy assassin type stuff, and love seeing good nightblades in action in pvp, and this is how i want my toon to be like. I want him to burst in with massive damage then kill with 2-3 more hits, if not, then be able to move out, recuperate, then try again. So i'm thinking of ploughing all attribute points into health, all armour enchants with magicka, spell damage on jewellery/weapons. Is that the way for this type of build that will mainly use class skills? Would all light armour be better or a mix of medium/light?

Currently he is more dependant on his bow and i will keep this set up so i can change between this and a magicka based build for him.

Any info appreciated :)
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well there are two routes you can go for a burst Nightblade.

The first would be Magicka based, attacking from stealth with Ambush followed by death stroke or surprise attack and those are your main damage sources. The downside is you rely on melee range for your burst. The upside is you are a magicka build, so you can use resto staff as your swap and be a great healer, you have better survival, and deal decent damage from range with swallow soul.

The second would be a stamina build, usually using Bow as main weapon and either dual wield or one hand/shield on swap. This build focuses on long range sniping, and high sustained damage weaving light attacks with venom arrow. The advantage to this build is incredibly high burst damage from a safe distance. The downside is that as a stamina build, you have barely any healing, and a small magicka pool to cast class skills from.

Some things that might help you choose: Build #2 is easy to play if all you plan on doing is sniping and stealthing away. Build #1 is easier to play in sustained combat scenarios, due to magicka builds being much easier to play in general than stamina builds. Build #2 requires much better resource management. Build #1 is much more versatile, being able to handle lots of pvp scenarios better. Build #1 survives based on healing, build #2 survives based on proper use of dodge, stealth, and block.

Personally, I enjoy playing the second build, because I just like being a ranger type character, and I am getting used to the small magicka pool, and conserving my shadow cloak usage. I like being able to burst from a great distance, and my melee damage is still very high.
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you want melee burst, get stygian set + 4 piece martial knowledge, spell dmg enchants on jewlery and then get about 2.5-2.6k magicka out of stealth. And just use ambush + concealed wep + impale or ambush + soul tether + impale.
    Banned for Naming and Shaming exploiters. Great ideology ZOS.
    #FreeLeo

Main: Vir Cor | Dragonknight
    Alt: Leo Cor | Nightblade
    Alt: Leonidas Cor | Templar

Guild: K-Hole
    Youtube: CorESO
    DK PvP Tank/DPS Hybrid Build (2.1+): Cor Leonis
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades are fine,they are as supposed to be.

When attacking from stealth i see no point an enemy have a chance agaist them because....when you get them out of stealth they dont have a chance themselves.

So thats it,it sould be like that and dont complain about their damage burst from stealth.Without it theres no nightblade :/
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Managed to find 5 pieces of the Stygian set and wow, what a difference it makes. Had a real blast in Cyrodiil tonight, 2-3 shots on the right players and job's a good'un. Really happy with the damage he's doing now, so thanks!
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    The first would be Magicka based, attacking from stealth with Ambush followed by death stroke or surprise attack and those are your main damage sources. The downside is you rely on melee range for your burst. The upside is you are a magicka build, so you can use resto staff as your swap and be a great healer, you have better survival, and deal decent damage from range with swallow soul.

...and a ton of magic and spell cost reduction to spam your cloak escape. This is currently my fave build right now for Nightblade, it can do a little of everything (range, melee and heal) and is a killer with a decent opener.
  • Sav72
    Sav72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB have been out sourced when created, that is why we have so many issues....and no OP ability.

I see a lot of frustration in your future..
    Savoifair, EP NB

If you break something, you can glue it back together and fix it, but, it will always be broken...

• J'skaar Habasi
    I'm V8, so not yet VR14, but I am with you about how I'd like my nightblade to play and have had the same thoughts about how to build my character. My benchmark is not a squishy Red or Blue, but the big boys in Blue on Chillrend.

I've played with the setup you are suggesting - magicka and light armor - in pvp and I felt squishy. Those arrows you use hurt, a lot.

As you're moving away from the bow, I'm gravitating more toward it. To kill quickly, my thought is that I have to get to Impale as soon as possible. In pvp, I think I've performed better by starting with the bow (focused aim, venom arrow, and light attacks) and then use ambush and impale as a finishing combo instead of an opener. This allows me to keep a distance and jump in close when I've done enough damage that I feel confident in finishing the job. I'm starting with ambush and impale if i'm helping someone who's already got half the job done.

Maybe this is a learn to play issue, but I've thought many times I could get 1500-1600 from ambush and then kill with 2-3 more attacks only to suffer from the reality of finding myself caught up in the talons, standard, and flaming lash trifecta.

I've never seen ZOS clarify whether magicka based class skill damage from melee style attacks (ambush, concealed weapon, impale) scale from spell damage or weapon damage.

I'm a believer in 0-49-0 for the simple reason that it, along with food, gets health out of the way and allows me the flexibility to adjust magicka/stamina.

I'm very interested to hear how you've done focusing on spell damage.

Edited by J'skaar Habasi on September 29, 2014 3:49PM
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J'skaar Habasi

Im pretty sure ambush, conc wep and impale scale from spell power and wep crit. I'm wearing 5 medium and 2 light armour, 5 Stygian(2 daggers) and 4 Seducer for the mana recovery. If i remember rightly i have 1 spell damage enchant on jewellery, maybe 2 (memory like a sieve^^) and so my spell power is capped out. I have a Hundings/Ashen set also, if i ever want to swap to bow which will cap out my weapon damage. I'm loving the way he is atm, if i dont get the kill within 3 hits i roll dodge and dark cloak away, i'd say 7/10 times i will get away unless i get swamped by a big zerg. I also use camo hunter from fighters guild on both dw/bow bars because if that procs on a vamp from ambush i do massive damage. I have a vr13 templar healer and a vr2 dk, and by far my nb is the most enjoyable in pvp and pve, i absolutely love him ^^
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on September 29, 2014 3:37PM
  • Ryzium
    Ryzium
    ✭✭✭
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Nightblades are fine,they are as supposed to be.

When attacking from stealth i see no point an enemy have a chance agaist them because....when you get them out of stealth they dont have a chance themselves.

So thats it,it sould be like that and dont complain about their damage burst from stealth.Without it theres no nightblade :/

What a joke, nightblades have good out of stealth damage but so do sorcs, sorcs actually have better out of stealth damage than NBs with stamina based weapons and a little less magicka based but sorcs have ranged instead of melee. NBs are extremely strong out of stealth if you dont build your character around hitting the guy 5 times and either getting the kill or dying trying to get away.
    Ryzium
    • V1 Nightblade - Soul Rend
    • 26 DK - Ryzium
    My Stream
  • Ryzium
    Ryzium
    ✭✭✭
    So i finally hit vr14 on my nightblade and i want to treat him. I will craft him all legendary armour, weapons and enchants. Now, i really like the whole stealthy assassin type stuff, and love seeing good nightblades in action in pvp, and this is how i want my toon to be like. I want him to burst in with massive damage then kill with 2-3 more hits, if not, then be able to move out, recuperate, then try again. So i'm thinking of ploughing all attribute points into health, all armour enchants with magicka, spell damage on jewellery/weapons. Is that the way for this type of build that will mainly use class skills? Would all light armour be better or a mix of medium/light?

Currently he is more dependant on his bow and i will keep this set up so i can change between this and a magicka based build for him.

Any info appreciated :)

If you want a really fun build with NBs then i suggest using sword and shield with:

warlock (5 piece) jewelery, head and chest
    martial knowledge (5 piece) legs, belt, shoulders, gloves, boots
    *jewlery enchanted with spell power*

Here is my build I use on my VR1 NB

Basically, how this build works is:

1. Put on your shields
    2. You place a bow shade at the location you want to reduce the targets damage output.
    3. Charge to them with your ambush and weave light attacks and surprise attack
    4. Against sorcs and destro staff users keep up your reflect
    5. When you hit a couple hits and they start to block use your fear
    6. spam damage and try to kill them

Finally if you cant kill them swap back to resto staff, debuff them with crippling grasp then hit the shadow image and telleport to it run your @$$ off and get away, use dark cloak when you get a decent ways away to get out of their field of view.

This is not the best stealth assassin build but it is fun and annoying. Hope you enjoy.
    Ryzium
    • V1 Nightblade - Soul Rend
    • 26 DK - Ryzium
    My Stream
  • GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim
    ✭✭✭

Some things that might help you choose: Build #2 is easy to play if all you plan on doing is sniping and stealthing away. Build #1 is easier to play in sustained combat scenarios, due to magicka builds being much easier to play in general than stamina builds. Build #2 requires much better resource management. Build #1 is much more versatile, being able to handle lots of pvp scenarios better. Build #1 survives based on healing, build #2 survives based on proper use of dodge, stealth, and block.

I use the first build as a VR6, and still do pretty good, though I'm not using resto on second bar, may need to consider that. I don't find that it provides enough punch to kill good DK's and templars in 1v1, but as a support role its fantastic.

The main key is you MUST flank your opponents and be stealthed to get the intitial burst of damage. If you ambush from the front you'll do little more than ding them.

On a related note, since there seem to be very knowledgeble NB's here:

I read somehwhere that Veiled Strike and it's morphs are mitigated by armor, not spell resist. Can anyone confirm this? What about Ambush and Impale?

I want to go more of a light armor build for the magicka bonuses, but if these spells are mitigated by armor, it kind of makes the spell resist ignore armor passive useless for this build.

• Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer hybrid build with DW/bow. With flying blade main spam after ambush/surprise attack and secodary bow to heal (Swallow Soul) and regain stamina from the rear. Defence tactic is evading with roll-dark cloak-stealth.
    I use heavy torso-light belt+5 med armor Night mother(5)+Ashen grip (3-4). I used Hunding's rage instead NM before but after medium armor dmg buff I've got great weapon power overcaps.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is confirmed that the "melee" class skills including Veiled strike, ambush, and impale all scale off of spell power and magicka, but also scale off of weapon crit and armor penetration.

Which is actually beneficial, because all the spell resist from light armor users wont help them, and you can get 50% armor ignore from weapons and surprise attack.
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is confirmed that the "melee" class skills including Veiled strike, ambush, and impale all scale off of spell power and magicka, but also scale off of weapon crit and armor penetration.

Which is actually beneficial, because all the spell resist from light armor users wont help them, and you can get 50% armor ignore from weapons and surprise attack.

Plus a little Mark Target at the right moment doesn't hurt.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What abilities are you using/planning to use exactly?