The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just curious about a theory

Dreyloch
Dreyloch
✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about the state of the game and the lag and crashes and everyone's wish that ZoS would fix a lot of it.(and fast)

So I had a theory about why it's taking so long. Maybe someone with coding exp. or someone who actually works in the industry can shed some light?

My theory is since ZoS is still working on a console version of the game that they are having issues with fixing things on the computer side VS. making it work with playstation or xbox . Now I know the consoles are getting closer and closer to computers. But the coding and such could be very different? Something they fix for the comp side isn't as easily coded into the console side?

I have no experience in coding. But I know there has to be differences between the 2 platforms right?
"The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreyloch wrote: »
    Now I know the consoles are getting closer and closer to computers. But the coding and such could be very different?

The Xbox, and even more so the PS3 had different hardware architectures than PCs do, especially with regards to memory, or lack there of. The current PS4/XBox1 have an X86 Architecture which makes them basically special purpose PCs with an embedded OS.

So, the issue that games have to be coded differently for the consoles than the PC is less so now than it ever has been. I would doubt there is much of a difference in how things are coded now for consoles vs a PC platform.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are always differences. Usually when a game is made for PC and Consoles, the PC version is dumbed down and suffers in quality for it.

Many people, for instance, believed this was the reason for the amateur garbage 1-5 skillbar. (Its a design choice, some idiot thinks its more interesting).

Luckily, modern consoles aren't too far off from a PC these days and might soon surpass them.

I will stay on PC.

Within; Without.
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soloeus wrote: »
    Many people, for instance, believed this was the reason for the amateur garbage 1-5 skillbar. (Its a design choice, some idiot thinks its more interesting).

That's what they want you to think, it's better to pass for an idiot than to tell people you're giving them the middle finger just because their market doesn't interest you since consoles are where the money is.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are always differences. Usually when a game is made for PC and Consoles, the PC version is dumbed down and suffers in quality for it.

Luckily, modern consoles aren't too far off from a PC these days and might soon surpass them.

I will stay on PC.

won´t happen - consoles are designed for ~3 years of existance with 1-2 years of previous development. so even when continously upgraded while developed they allways fall behind a pc a roughly a year old at release. and with a significant space limitation wich effects heat issues aswell.

the only advantage consoles had in former times were the fact that the games had to be far more quality tested as they could´nt be patched after release. this is gone thus you have even crappier game releses than on pc nowadays... GTA anyone?
    Edited by Tankqull on September 30, 2014 3:56PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreyloch wrote: »
    I was thinking about the state of the game and the lag and crashes and everyone's wish that ZoS would fix a lot of it.(and fast)

So I had a theory about why it's taking so long. Maybe someone with coding exp. or someone who actually works in the industry can shed some light?

My theory is since ZoS is still working on a console version of the game that they are having issues with fixing things on the computer side VS. making it work with playstation or xbox . Now I know the consoles are getting closer and closer to computers. But the coding and such could be very different? Something they fix for the comp side isn't as easily coded into the console side?

I have no experience in coding. But I know there has to be differences between the 2 platforms right?

I do not think so.

The reason for crashing is usually specific to the platform. PC will crash for different reasons than Mac. I expect the Consoles will crash for their own reasons.

Now, keep in mind that I am specifically talking about client crashes. I am not talking about server-related crashes, lag, or any of that. Just client crashes, like drop to desktop and the ones that bring up the crash report tool. Infinite loading screens and lag may not be client, they may be something else.

The reason it takes so long to fix crashes is simple. To fix something Zenimax needs to understand what is wrong. If they cannot recreate it, it is much harder to figure out what is wrong and fix it, if it can be fixed at all. They will look at it, but if they cannot recreate it, they eventually set it aside. Other problems that they can fix demand their attention.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people, for instance, believed this was the reason for the amateur garbage 1-5 skillbar. (Its a design choice, some idiot thinks its more interesting)..

Not all of us "idiots" want to play with some ridiculous WoW-type 40-skill toolbar and a UI that makes the game look like a bridge console on the Enterprise. I like the traditional minimalist Elder Scrolls UI, thank you very much. If I wanted to be bombarded with dozens of controls and numbers flying in my face, I would be playing EvE Online, not an immersive fantasy MMO.

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I will stay on PC.
    Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Current consoles are nowhere near surpassing gaming PCs and unless they are coming out with a new XBox and PS then the disparity is only likely to increase. Basically if you take what you said and reverse it then it's actually true. Let's try it:

There are always differences. Usually when a game is made for consoles and PC, the consoles version is dumbed down and suffers in quality for it.

Yeah that works.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on October 1, 2014 8:50PM
    :trollin: