The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are Storm Atronachs meant to see through stealth?

GrimMauKin
GrimMauKin
✭✭✭✭
I can't use Shadowy Disguise around Storm Atronachs as it breaks instantly when applied; I'm not sure if this is by design - if it is I assume that it's something to do with their electrical field which causes proximity damage.

They also seem to be able to see through stealth; I've hit a Storm Atronach from the extent of Focused Aim (morphed Snipe) and instantly stealthed using Shadowy Disguise whilst the Atronach's back is still towards me, but they unerringly come straight at me firing attacks all the way whilst I'm still cloaked (Shadowy Disguise is meant to cancel existing attacks and remove focus from MOBs so that no attacks are launched for the duration of the cloak - it just doesn't work with Storm Atronachs.

For my Nightblade Storm Atronachs are pretty much undefeatable - I can't cloak from, snare or stun them and they don't get knocked back or down from Silver Bolts (I assume that they're Daedra).
I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its' the lightening that the Storm Atronachs throw off that breaks your Stealth. They have a constant AoE going, at least it seems that way. I think there is an issue with how far away you are (as you should be able to get closer in my mind, but you can't)

Personally, unless I absolutely have to kill one for a quest, I avoid them like the plague. Daedric Slayer is an Achievement I may never get.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Its' the lightening that the Storm Atronachs throw off that breaks your Stealth. They have a constant AoE going, at least it seems that way. I think there is an issue with how far away you are (as you should be able to get closer in my mind, but you can't).
    I'm not sure that's it, I believe it's simply linked to a tag assigned to tougher mobs. Steam Centurions and Giants have also ignored my stealth as well as a few quest boss Bone Colossi.

Daedric Slayer is an Achievement I may never get.

I thought this for a while, but every kill counts regardless of level difference so you can just find the weakest ones you have access to and farm them. They're still a pain but its a manageable pain.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Their magical prowess can find the electromagnetic beatings of your Night Blades heart in the fog of war.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AoE can reveal you. The monster can aggro you. The PVP Ultimate can reveal you if you are in its AoE but usually no.

Within; Without.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eNumbra wrote: »
    Steam Centurions and Giants have also ignored my stealth as well as a few quest boss Bone Colossi.

I have snuck past and around Steam Centurions, but I can't get as close as I can with other mobs. I think some mobs have a higher detection rate so they can "see past" your sneak at closer distances. I know the SC's perked up when I was going by, but they settled down before engaging me. I was able to sneak past some giants last night near Windhelm, but I did not get that close to them. In both cases I was not using the Shadow Cloak.

Its just for SA, they can see you on the horizon.......I hate the SA's. Well, I love my Sorcerer's SA, but that's about it.

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam Centurions and Giants have also ignored my stealth as well as a few quest boss Bone Colossi.

I have snuck past and around Steam Centurions
    We're not talking about stealth and detection out of combat, we're talking about using Cloak/Shadowy Disguise while in combat - which breaks actions for most mobs and causes them to cease whatever they're doing.

Combining sneak and cloak - out of combat you can sneak past anything, no mob(that ive come across) sees through it outside of combat.

-just for the sake of clarity, my main is a V10 Stealth build, magicka based NB, I could sneak past all the PvE content in this game if I were inclined.
    Edited by eNumbra on September 30, 2014 8:38PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Combining sneak and cloak - out of combat you can sneak past anything, no mob(that ive come across) sees through it unless you're in combat with them.

Yea, I don't do that in combat, well very often anyway. I stick the shadows and if they don't see me before the first strike, they see me for the second and third.

I can understand now about the SA's breaking Shadow, you can't get close enough to them to do anything against them before you enter their AoE effect. I never tried to sneak during a fight with a SC, too busy wailing on them then dodging.

Edited by Nestor on October 1, 2014 4:26PM

• Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the cloak isn't good for fighting them. I was able to get the daedric slayer achievement by throwing on electrical resistance jewellery and then making sure I had veil of blades ready to pop before running in to kill them. Then it was a matter of hitting them as hard and fast as I could with whatever I had. You can still get an initial sneak attack in at the start before they detect you. It is possible for NBs to kill them, but yeah, the cloak isn't much use.
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cloak breaking is certainly an issue but they do also seem able to see a successfully cloaked character - as mentioned in the original post I had a Storm Atronach head straight at me firing off attacks whilst successfully cloaked.
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.