The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stamina - Magica Balance - Impulse test case

GreyRanger
GreyRanger
✭✭✭
I know there are many issues in balancing stamina versus magica builds. I thought I would raise one issue that I think ought to get addressed in the balancing.

Impulse is by a very wide margin the best AOE power in the game. I would think that a successful rebalancing effort would need to modify existing powers in the bow, dual wield, and possibly 2 hander skill lines so that it is possible for stamina builds to be competitive on sustained AOE damage output.

Just my 2 cents on one issue.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In before 'who cares about AOE'!

Personally I agree with the OP. It would be nice to have a comparable aoe option.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield have similar aoe.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Arrow spray
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Duel wielding cheesy poofs. Buff said.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield have similar aoe.

yeah I use it, it's pretty good...but nothing like impulse.

dual wield AoE costs 30% more and does 30% less damage compared to impulse. Unless the target is at 25% or less health, than it does about the same damage for 30% more resources
    Edited by reften on September 30, 2014 5:49PM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    I have used Impulse, Whirlwind, & Arrow Spray. Impulse far out performs the two stamina alternatives, by a wide margin.

I am not suggesting that stamina needs a better AOE than magica, just that there should be comparable abilities in both ranged and melee skill sets; which there currently are not.
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrow Spray does not have a 40% chance to apply the burning status effect. It's effective against undead and daedra in combination with Evil Hunter. Against other enemies you are soon low on Stamina unless you constantly use potions. Even on a 2400 Stamina build with reduced skill cost, 150 Stamina Recovery and Hawk's Eye set (5% reduced skill cost).
    In places like Veteran Crypt of Hearts or Skyreach Catacombs (lots of undead and daedra), Arrow Spray is a great AoE dps skill though and can definitely compete with Impulse.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impulse would beat them all by a mile even if you had no passives in destruction staves.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    What they could do is make it like Cleave and Twin Slashes and have most of its damage come from a non-stacking DoT. People would love that...
  • Vaelen
    Vaelen
    ✭✭✭
    What this game seriously lacks when it comes to melee/Stamina builds is an actual combo system, something like what GW2 does. Instead, there is a synergy system, but it is mostly for Magicka based builds so Stamina builds get shafted. Adding more weapon skills or changing them to something more useful is also a solution since many of them are totally useless such as Momentum.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreyRanger wrote: »
    I know there are many issues in balancing stamina versus magica builds. I thought I would raise one issue that I think ought to get addressed in the balancing.

Impulse is by a very wide margin the best AOE power in the game. I would think that a successful rebalancing effort would need to modify existing powers in the bow, dual wield, and possibly 2 hander skill lines so that it is possible for stamina builds to be competitive on sustained AOE damage output.

Just my 2 cents on one issue.

What needs balancing is that Impulse is the only AoE that is cost effective. There are others. Caltrops, Volcanic Rune, Lightning Splash.

Impulse is the "least effort" so that is why people use it. Impulse does a good job, and a lot of people don't just Impulse. They have other abilities running alongside it. Any ability with others running alongside it can be amazing stuff. If, say, Whirlwind where the "least effort" guess what weapon everyone would use?

Within; Without.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soloeus wrote: »
    Impulse is the "least effort" so that is why people use it. Impulse does a good job, and a lot of people don't just Impulse. They have other abilities running alongside it. Any ability with others running alongside it can be amazing stuff. If, say, Whirlwind where the "least effort" guess what weapon everyone would use?

And what if they had comparable effort with comparable output?
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing about impulse is that it's not only be best AOE ability, but also a very strong single target ability, thanks to being unblockable.
  • mar1ano1987nrb18_ESO
    first of all ...bow shouldnt have any aoe skill .

Carve from Two handed does an awesome damage, and you get ultimate up in a few secs.
    Steel tornado from Dual wield skill line, its almost the same good as impulse.

The problem with Stamina Aoes, is that you cant spamm them for long because you run of stamina, (and you will die if you cant block).
    Impulse in the other hand gets you magicka everytime you kill a target, and....you can use your stamina to block while you are casting it.

Stukha - Dragon Knight - Ebonheart Pact
    Bazhinga - Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    /
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulsar is useful, I use it once in a boss fight sometimes. I can do over 1000 dps with Crushing Shock and Light Attack so ... I use that mostly. I'll have to experiment some more with Inner Light and Critical Surge with Pulsar, my bar has 2 weapon slots. ;)
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How so?
    Steel tornado from Dual wield skill line, its almost the same good as impulse.

Not really no. Not until mobs drop low on HP.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soloeus wrote: »

And what if they had comparable effort with comparable output?

Then people wouldn't use Impulse very much at all, except for people who found it the most fun AoE if they were equal. People would instead look to other weapons (which are equal) and class abilities. People would choose whatever abilities are the most fun for the gameplay they want.

People who use impulse have tried everything else, and picked the one that worked. Complaining that Sorcerers use Impulse is like complaining that Dragonknights use Reflective Scales and Dark Talons. It would be like complaining that NB's use Stealth or Templars can heal through a lot of damage.

As for the other weapons, I don't use them mostly because I use other skills that cost Stamina for defensive purposes and I have no room. If the other weapons had one skill "equal" to Impulse, I would still not use them because using them would leave me unable to roll dodge out of Dark Talon Spam. That is the rule on all my characters. I view Stamina only for Roll Dodge, Sprinting, Blocking and an occasional Caltrops or Rapid Maneuver.

Within; Without.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How would impulse compare with power extraction on whirling blades?
    Edited by Armitas on September 30, 2014 9:18PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But it's the weakest single-target dps weapon in the game already O_O You want to make it a PvP exclusive stealth-only weapon?
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, it ought to be one of the strongest. It is the highest level of the Destruction Staff Skill Line and should be at least on a par with other top-of-the-line perks and not weaker than the ones prior to the top. This is what a lot of people seem to forget when they complain about "Impulse" and "Bolt Escape", yes, they are extremely powerful, but they ought to be, they are at the top of the skill line. What I don't know is how they compare with "Inhale", "Inferno", "Ash Cloud", "Drain Power" or the tops of the other weapon trees.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, it ought to be one of the strongest. It is the highest level of the Destruction Staff Skill Line and should be at least on a par with other top-of-the-line perks and not weaker than the ones prior to the top. This is what a lot of people seem to forget when they complain about "Impulse" and "Bolt Escape", yes, they are extremely powerful, but they ought to be, they are at the top of the skill line. What I don't know is how they compare with "Inhale", "Inferno", "Ash Cloud", "Drain Power" or the tops of the other weapon trees.

Finally, someone understands.

Within; Without.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrow Sprays main problem is the short and narrow Cone Effect it has.

• AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does using drain power make whirlwind much more effective as a NB does anyone know?
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does using drain power make whirlwind much more effective as a NB does anyone know?

Sure, the higher weapon dmg, the higher drain power/power extraction will be.I prefeare stell tornado 12.5 meters of range than whirlwind, the stamina return was not so awesome for me. With power extraction i've reached 339 weapon damage, and with 2500 stamina i can do more damage than my impulse spammer dk alt. The advantage of impulse is not the damage, but the passive in destro staff that makes you gain magicka with kills, for a longer sustained dps, and also that you can block while casting it without wasting magicka. Steel tornado/whirlwind synergizes better with Nb , thanks to siphoning attacks, and power extraction. Having a templar in group will help really much for the lack of sustained stamina.