The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Proposed Oil Changes - Yay or nay?

Maulkin
Maulkin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Okay it's a hot topic, so maybe we should have a poll, to gauge the popularity and all that.

Do you agree with Brian Wheeler's suggestion for oil to have a minimum travel distance before it "arms" and does any damage? This would mean you can no longer put oil on flat ground, whether that is in the middle of nowhere or under a keep's flag.

What do you think, good proposal?
Edited by Maulkin on September 29, 2014 5:29PM
EU | PC | AD

Proposed Oil Changes - Yay or nay? 87 votes

Yes - Welcome change
33%
Azaruljnjdun_ESOLodurmichaelb14a_ESO2WraithAzraielAntirobc0rpTheBullneiljwdrsciwLilChihuahuaThatHappyCatJLBKaramis_VimardonbooksmcreadDudisOswolfEvergnarnilldaxArdeni 29 votes
Not at all - Bad idea, don't want it
33%
TintinabulaTeargrantsManoekinArmitasBraidasKevinmonLonePirateAedhthemdogesbitekrimMonsoonDomanderjkirchner71ub17_ESO2LeovolaoRootys7732425ub17_ESOHuntlerdcincaliMinscLilarna 29 votes
No, for now - Not bad idea but other things would have to change first
22%
EvandusglakRedTalonseneferab16_ESOfritzOSU03SoulScreamThyIronFistcamaanDraxysBramirCodyghengis_dhanAgrippa_InvisusMiyaTheUnbrokenPixysticksJamilaRajRenuoAoe_BarbecueTristonHelwyr 20 votes
I have a different idea (please elaborate)
1%
Maulkin 1 vote
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...
9%
OrangeTheCatsupernicomaxilaub17_ESOElsonsoWyietsayonZrakieNox_AeternaPhaedrus 8 votes
  • jkirchner71ub17_ESO2
    Be curious to see how this poll pans out. I am against it simply because it will undermine siege defense and the PvP developers have MUCH bigger issues to address and the oil pots aren't broken or are they? Sure it allows a certain, un-named sorcerer who farms millions of AP from their limited skill set like Streak, Impulse, Invis-Bat, Drop Oil and Pour and streak around some more - rinse and repeat. But this is easily countered if players were smarter. This change is going to make small group defense of keeps very difficult till the cavalry arrives.
    MAIN
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Torroch, VR14 Orc DK Rank 22, Officer in Maelstrom
    Once again looking for an organized PvP guild to join - viva la Venatus

NON-PvP Alts
    Ebonheart Pact
    Torach, VR12 Orc Sorcerer, GM House of the Tamriel Ten
    Torrach, VR8 Orc Templar, House of the Tamriel Ten (older brother of Torach)
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a god awful change. Oil is the only counter atm to massive zergballs. Remove this, and there's literally no deterrent to just stacking on flags to cap it.

It's already happening with oils available. People are stacking on flags and purging and healing through oils constantly pouring. Remove oils, and there's literally no chance for a smaller group to defend against a large group.

Do ZoS "pvp developers" even play this freaking game? Sometimes their ideas are straight up boneheaded with zero foresight. And this is one of those times. Freaking imbecilic. Brian wheeler, you and your team are singlehandedly ruining this game.
    Characters: Hovaling/Lfehova/Hova-kun/Hovalicious
    Class: DK/DK/Sorc/Templar
    Guild: No Mercy
    Alliance: Daggerfall

Characters after rename: BROVALING/Baka-kun/Brovalicious (Lfehova is now a retired DK and spends his days crafting)
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we should ask for more AoE caps and they'll uncap some stuff? idk man, it's like they're deliberately stupid
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...
    Dont care much , while i do find ridiculous the way people use this on the ground lols.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a different idea (please elaborate)
    I personally don't like the raw suggestion at all, but maybe something else is needed.

How about they don't change the oil mechanics, but just reduce the areas where you can place oil to only a predefined list of locations.

These would include:
    a) Keeps
    b) Resources
    c) Outposts
    d) Scroll Temples
    f) certain intentionally created choke points like: scroll gates, Alessia bridge and certain gates you have to pass to get to enemy keeps.

Basically, limit the areas you can place them to only those of strategic importance. People are always aware that there will be oil at those locations so they'll be prepared to deal with it. It also means you will still be able to hold larger groups of players at strategically important choke-points, which I personally think is currently working well, if not as originally intended.

However you will no longer be able to continue the (pretty funny, yet) unfair practice of hiding oil pots behind trees or rocks or inside random structures and effectively be ganking people with huge and unexpected oil damage.

What do you think?
    Edited by Maulkin on September 29, 2014 7:01PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • ghengis_dhan
    ghengis_dhan
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mixed on this issue. While I agree that oil pots should only be dropped from walls and such, I'm concerned how it will affect current game play. If keeps become un-defendable, the game will degenerate into a race to see who can capture the most keeps the fastest. Blood porting would become more common than it is now.

Make the change on the PTS server and test thoroughly. Maybe add more ledges at keeps.
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless they do other things like traps and pits for dealing with zerg balls this change will offically make zerging the only way to play.
  • Aoe_Barbecue
    Aoe_Barbecue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oil pots are the only offensive measure against balled up zergs atm. I'm OK with oil being nerfed to be used from elevation, as intended. But AoE caps would have to be removed or increased by at least double.
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a terrible idea cause currently, oil pots are a good way to wipe zergs/small groups of players, they're like booby traps you can place wherever you want and in my opinion it's fun.

Add this oil pot fix to the game, and defending a keep against a zergball will be pointless cause you won't be able to place oil anywhere, except on the walls.

Might as well just give up and let your enemies take the keep.

Once the zergballing gets fixed, I would have no problem with it. But until then - no. It's a bad idea.
    Edited by ThyIronFist on September 29, 2014 7:27PM
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, they need to give us a spell we can use to stop the oil ticks..."oh wait..purge."
    OK then, maybe something to prevent the oil hitting all together.."oh wait..replenishing barrier."
    But I don't like slotting spells and using them as the devs intended teacher!!..what then? "Sorry there's nothing else except spells...oh wait..each oil has 4 seconds between pours where you can literally knock and stun the pourer off siege and kill them."
    Counting?...I gotta count?...no way!! I'm not here to count..wheres my one win button??. "Range them."
  • Bramir
    Bramir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Need an answer to zergballs first. This change would be catastrophic for competition.

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - Welcome change
    100% for this change. It's become just lazy combat tactics and from the looks of the Imperial City I think something had to be done.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Change other things, then this because all the reasons already stated.

rip decibel
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This change should not go live -- yet.

This should not be changed until there is some inherent change in the function of AEs and/or zergballing. Things that possibly should be updated before the oil is nerfed in effectiveness is:

1. AE Cap increase or removal
    2. Forward Camp updates to prevent constant spawn rushing
    3. Increase in HP of castle walls and doors to allow more defense to be mustered.
    4. Update of Stamina builds to be competitive in PVP.

THEN look at changing the oils.

The only way I could see any oil change right now that would be valid is to make them so you can't use them outside of a Keep, Resource Node, or Scroll Temple's grounds. This prevents the 'random oil in a field or house' garbage.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being killed by oil is even lazier tactics.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I myself love this change; but I also worry about what will happen because of it.

When this change gets implemented, how are we going to stop the zerg blobs? we can't AOE them down, oil obviously wont kill them, streak was changed(I say changed, not nerfed, because I don't believe it was nerfed, but that's for another thread) siege weapons don't do anywhere NEAR enough damage to kill them; we obviously cant send in tons-of-health-having melee players, so, after this change, what will the counter to zergs be?

if this change does get implemented, then zerg blobs will have to be dealt with once and for all along with it. Im not going to say "remove AoE caps" because I was around when they were not on, and do remember one player with batswarm killing almost 20 players single handedly(ah, good times. lol)

I don't know how to fix the zerg blob problem: every possible solution that I have seen and/or thought of, would simply bring up more problems if it where to be implemented; but these zerg blobs MUST be dealt with, if this change to oil is applied; otherwise, the game will TRULY be all zerg/impulse blobing(save for blackwater blade, maybe)

on the bright side, it would stop the cheesy tactic of players setting up oil in the middle of a field/right on a flag, and/or hiding in a tiny room with it like a bunch of cowards(one time an enemy tried to sneak attack me with oil. it was pretty hilarious. She failed epically, and was exterminated for her stupidity 30 seconds later. lol)
    Edited by Cody on September 29, 2014 8:32PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you agree with Brian Wheeler's suggestion for oil to have a minimum travel distance before it "arms" and does any damage? This would mean you can no longer put oil on flat ground, whether that is in the middle of nowhere or under a keep's flag.

Could someone clarify? I missed this statement.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »

Oil has to travel at least 6 meters before it does any damage, i.e. it has to be dropped from atop a wall, tower, etc...though I guarantee people will find ways around it
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Braidas wrote: »
    Armitas wrote: »

Oil has to travel at least 6 meters before it does any damage, i.e. it has to be dropped from atop a wall, tower, etc...though I guarantee people will find ways around it

Ah vertical travel got it, thanks now I can vote. Yeah they will. They already found a way around the DK chain Y axis fix against keep pulls.
    ______
    There are typically both good and bad aspects to a thing. Oil has it's good aspects, such as zerg defense, and it's bad, such as oil trolling a scroll. A true fix would leave the good intact while restricting the bad. Here we are sacrificing the good to fix the bad, that is not a real fix. I'm not willing to give up flag defense just to fix scroll trolling.

In the case of DK chains we sacrificed the good aspect of it, to fix the bad. Now the skill is unreliable in a normal situation, and it still didn't fix the bad aspect of it because you can still pull people up a keep.

There has to be a better solution than this, one that does not sacrifice the good use of it to stop the bad. We cannot keep purchasing security from the bad by spending the good. At the end of the day that type of policy would leave us with nothing worth securing. It's like taking the wheels off a car so that no one can steal it.
    Edited by Armitas on September 29, 2014 9:00PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this goes live the same ppl wanting this will be wondering why their breaches are being overrun so easily now and they will cry about that.
  • Lfehova
    Lfehova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evergnar wrote: »
    100% for this change. It's become just lazy combat tactics and from the looks of the Imperial City I think something had to be done.

Lazy???
    Have you ever tried placing oil against good players or stopping good players from placing oil?

No, it's an added mechanic and adds skill to the game. Actively bashing your enemies during a fight makes it more intensive, because one oil can lose you the fight. Also actively trying to place an oil, also makes it more intensive.

No offense, but you're far from correct.
    Characters: Hovaling/Lfehova/Hova-kun/Hovalicious
    Class: DK/DK/Sorc/Templar
    Guild: No Mercy
    Alliance: Daggerfall

Characters after rename: BROVALING/Baka-kun/Brovalicious (Lfehova is now a retired DK and spends his days crafting)
  • jkirchner71ub17_ESO2
    I also wouldn't call it lazy but also when you can use a macro it isn't that hard. Hov is right though it is not easy to drop one in the heat of battle in the right spot while trying to stay alive and it adds another dynamic to battles. But I also think when your skill rotation revolves around a few class skills and dropping an oil pot, albeit effective, doesn't say a lot about your gameplay and/or skills. I know an EP sorc that . . . . well we all know the name.

Really not sure what Zenimax intended with Oil pots as in real world military history they were employed as a defensive measure for keeps and castles but then again Napalm was used offensively throughout the 20th Century. But this is Tamriel - anything goes :confounded:
    MAIN
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Torroch, VR14 Orc DK Rank 22, Officer in Maelstrom
    Once again looking for an organized PvP guild to join - viva la Venatus

NON-PvP Alts
    Ebonheart Pact
    Torach, VR12 Orc Sorcerer, GM House of the Tamriel Ten
    Torrach, VR8 Orc Templar, House of the Tamriel Ten (older brother of Torach)
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - Welcome change
    Yes.

Ignoring the fact that it's one of the few counters to zerg-blobbing, the way oils work now is stupid and should be changed.

They need to remove AoE caps too though.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While oil as PBAoE launcher looks stupid, I am not sure about benefits of change (especially if not combined e.g. with change to keep layout to offer more/better spots to use it) and I am sure there are more pressing issues to be addressed.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to address a lot of other issues before this, both this and the camp change are not really steps forward imo.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - Welcome change
    I can't wait.

It's the dumbest looking thing in the game atm. I understand that it is certainly needed, but it should not be able to be played the way it has been. The current version is too unbelievable even for a fantasy setting.
    Edited by TheBull on September 30, 2014 12:20AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how placing oil in the middle of a battle makes the battle dynamic..... maybe above on a wall.