The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Deconstructing Rules?

Ulfson
Ulfson
✭✭✭
So I just noticed that I was not unlucky but rather ignorant. Deconstructing has rules and I can't tell what they are. I saw a message flash by in the upper right saying I did not have the skill to deconstruct an item. Humm. The game was quite happy to destroy it and I suspect many others for nothing as far as I can tell.
How can I figure out what level items deconstructing may produce items BEFORE I waste them?
thanks
  • Resueht
    Resueht
    ✭✭✭
    When you do this, I believe you get the experience from decons but not the materials if your crafting level isn't sufficient. For example, if you have not put any points into BS and you decon a steel or dwarven sword, you wont (or maybe just less likely?) to receive the mats, but you will still receive IP (inspiration points).

So it really ins't wasted because you have some return, but you don't get the full value of deconing.

Edit: Also, you might get more of a response by posting this in the Crafting sub-forum. This one is mostly for combat skills.
    Edited by Resueht on September 25, 2014 4:32PM
    If she doesn't know the pain of cliffracers, she's too young for you.
  • Ulfson
    Ulfson
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip on the crafting forum. I missed it and will take this question there.