Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

ESO: Project Chim [Suggestion]

Firellight
Firellight
✭✭✭
Project Chim changes balance of the game to make everything seem complete and increase competition. It's a WIP because school, but here are some things to give you the idea of how I work. I like to do game balance, and I hope to turn it into a career. Comment what you think.

Note that some major changes were made to critical strikes. Your critical hits do not deal any added damage, but they ignore a certain percentage of an enemy's defense/magic defense, depending on your critical (up to 100%). Critical hits are activated when an attack is charged, and as a result, spells become chargeable in Project Chim. Only one passive skill allows for chance-based critical hits on normal attacks.

Critical hits do not affect resistances from Spell Warding and Resolve, and Dexterity was replaced with Padding. A surprise awaits you.

F2P vs P2P

I'm a strong believer in the F2P model, despite companies using cheap tactics. I think ESO has potential for a working paying subscription model, if handled properly. Here are my suggestions:

- Game: $30.00
- Create characters in any alliance: $5.00
- Create Imperial characters: $5.00
- Palomino horse: $5.00
- Subscription: $0.50/day, pay as you play.

Subscription:
Players with subscriptions have access to certain features, such as:
- Pets
- Rings of Mara
- Veteran content (like Craglorn)
- Craft Imperial Gear
- Convert equipment to Imperial
- Member-only campaign (How many days?)
- Special Events
- Subscriber rewards

The subscription fee being scaled down to 1 day allows for convenience on part of the customer, to pay for a certain amount of time, and get their money's worth. If somebody only wants to player on the weekends, they only have to pay $1.00 every weekend, instead of the whole $15.00.

People who pay more than $5 in any given month are eligible for rewards. This is just my idea, but 20% of ZOS' income in that month go back to certain players who did great over that month.

Social Leadership Awards: 10% of income.
5 people per alliance in each campaign get this award. For every 10 lines said in the group and zone chats in PvP maps, the player gets 1 point. If you are communicating to your mates, you reach further towards the Social Leadership Award.

Heroic Attendance Awards: 5%
Two types for each alliance in each campaign:
If a player survives a conflict (must be on the map), +1 point. Basically, when you receive an equipment box, you get the point. Points * (1-(0.01*(Total death count over month / points))) = Final Points. It's one thing to survive a bunch of matches, but did you do well in them? 2 people get this award, while 3 runner-ups get an award for their base point count; surviving a certain amount of conflicts.

Emporer Awards: 5%
Top player in each campaign with the most Alliance points receive this award.

Each award comes with a title. Feel free to put it on your resume. The social leadership award might help you get a job. The purpose of the rewards are to attract players from all over to participate in a fun activity for a chance to win big money, if they've got the skill. It is Zenimax's money scheme, and a potentially brilliant one at that.

Free to Play:
Have access to:
- Normal Campaigns
- Current Normal/Veteran maps (excluding Craglorn)

Alliance War

Home Keep Bonus: +5% Exp, AP and Gold gained.
Enemy Keep Bonus: +1% Exp, AP and Gold gained per keep.
Defensive Scroll Bonus: +2.5% Armor and Spell Resistance per scroll when near a keep.
Offensive Scroll Bonus: +2.5% Weapon and Spell Power per scroll when near a keep.
Emporership Alliance Bonus: +5 Max Health per character level when in a raid group with the Emporer. Players within the small group (4) receive an additional +5 Max Health per character level, excluding the Emporer.

Campaign scores:
Kills +1, +2 if veteran, +3 if vr14, +4 if emporer.
Deaths -1, -2 if veteran, +3 if vr14, -4 if emporer.
Keep +250/-250.
Resources +50/-50.
Outposts +500/-500.
Elder Scrolls +500/-500.
+5% every score evaluation.
+10% every score evaluation if in second.
+15% every score evaluation if in third.

Character Stats

Attributes:
Base: 250 HP/MP/SP (255 with level bonus).
+1 HP/MP/SP per level.
+1% per AP placed.

Defense/Magic Resistance:
Capped at 1400.
Stat * 0.07 = Resistance %.
Base: 0 Defense/Magic Resistance.
+1 stat per level.

Armour:
+5% Armour rating per upgrade (20% Legendary).
Robes: 3 Magic Resistance per level requirement.
Jerkins: 2 Magic Resistance, 1 Defense.
Breeches/Hats/Epaulets: 1 Defense, 1 Magic Resistance.
Shoes/Globes/Sashes: 1 Magic Resistance.
Jacks: 2 Defense, 1 Magic Resistance.
Guards/Helmets/Arm Cops: 1 Defense, 1 Magic Resistance.
Boots/Bracers/Belts: 1 Defense.
Cuirasses: 3 Defense.
Greaves/Helms/Pauldrons: 1 Defense, 1 Magic Resistance.
Sabatons/Gauntlets/Girdles: 1 Defense.

Set Effects: Only full set effects remain, other bonuses removed.

Skill Trees

Light Armour:

- Annulment:
- Creates [250 +5% MP] point damage shield for 10 seconds.
- Player takes 50% less damage from spells while shield holds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Dampen Magicka:
- Creates [500 +10% MP] point damage shield for 20 seconds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Shield strength increases by 4% per piece of light armour equipped.
- Harness Magicka:
- Creates [500 +10% MP] point damage shield for 20 seconds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Restores 4% of Spell damage taken as Magicka per piece of light armour equipped.

- Evocation (III):
- Reduces the Magicka cost of spells by 3% per piece of light armour equipped.

- Recovery (II):
- Increase Magicka recovery by 4% per piece of light armour equipped.

- Spell Warding (II):
- Increases Spell Resistance by 8% per piece of light armour equipped. This is separate from normal Spell Resistance, and not subject to critical strikes.

- Prodigy (II):
- Grants 10% chance for uncharged spells to hit critically while a light armour of 5 or more piece is equipped.

- Concentration (II):
- Player's spells have an increase of 6% critical strike per piece of light armour equipped.

Medium Armour:

- Evasion:
- Player gains 15% dodge chance for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Elude:
- Player gains 15% dodge chance for 20 seconds.
- Cooldown 20 seconds.
- Player gains 1% dodge chance per piece of medium armour equipped.
- Shufle:
- Player gains 15% dodge chance for 20 seconds.
- Cooldown 20 seconds.
- Removes 1 snare per piece of medium armour equipped.

- Padding (III):
- Increases Critical Resistance by 2%.
- Increases Critical Resistance by 14% per piece of medium armour equipped. Critical Resistance resists a certain percentage of a critical strike, where 100% nullifies all incoming critical hits, thanks to thick medium armour.

- Wind Walker (II):
- Increases Stamina Recovery by 4% per piece of medium armour equipped.

- Improved Sneak (II):
- Decreases the detection area radius by 5% and the cost of sneaking by 7% per piece of medium armour equipped.

- Agility (II):
- Increases attack speed by 10% when a medium armour set of 5 or more is equipped.

- Athletics (II):
- Increases sprint move speed by 3% and the Stamina cost of Roll Dodge by 4% per piece of medium armour equipped.

Heavy Armour:

- Immoveable:
- Increases Armour and Magic Resistance by [100 +5% HP] for 10 seconds.
- Grants immunity to knockback and disabling effects for the duration.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Immoveable Brute:
- Increases Armour and Magic Resistance by [100 +10% HP] for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Increases Weapon Damage by 1% per piece of heavy armour equipped.
- Unstobbable:
- Increases Armour and Magic Resistance by [100 +10% HP] for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown 10 seconds.
- Increases duration by 5% per piece of heavy armour equipped.

- Resolve (III):
- Increases Armour by 5% and Spell Resistance by 3% per piece of heavy armour equipped. This is not affected by critical hits.

- Constitution (II):
- Increase Health Recovery by 4% per piece of heavy armour equipped.

- Juggernaut (II):
- Increases Weapon Damage with melee attacks by 1% per piece of heavy armour equipped.

- Bracing (II):
- Decreases Stamina cost of blocking by 20% when a heavy armour set of 5 or more is equipped.

- Rapid Mending (II):
- Increases healing received by 1% per piece of heavy armour equipped.

How is Project Chim?
Comment your thoughts!
Edited by Firellight on September 22, 2014 3:34AM
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    Well, checking my bank statements would be completely annoying.

Social Leadership Awards: 10% of income. Leadership award goes to the 13 year old sitting at entry base expressing his feelings.
    Options
  • xarguideb17_ESO
    xarguideb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Project Chim?
    I vote nay.
    You go into a lot of detail without really explaining yourself.
    If that were not enough, then your idea of making ESO F2P is just plain wrong! It would destroy the friendly community and fluid development as we have now.
    I hope this game *never* goes F2P.

And suggesting prices to ZOS? Really?
    Options
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't quit school....
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • Firellight
    Firellight
    ✭✭✭
    I55UE5 wrote: »
    Well, checking my bank statements would be completely annoying.

Social Leadership Awards: 10% of income. Leadership award goes to the 13 year old sitting at entry base expressing his feelings.

I am aware of these.

The F2P and all that pricing stuff just came on the top of my head, but I do support a membership system. Runescape's been doing for years, and Jagex is probably rich. Think of the membership as paying for DLC.

Also, the rewards system may cost a big percentage of ZOS' income, but the point is that players want to play for relevant purposes. Is there any real life endgame for winning the alliance war? Maybe a news article shoutout to your guild, and reputation, but did you benefit? If people play for benefits, not only would ZOS be getting lots of players, but people would also be playing more seriously. If I noticed anything today, some (or a lot maybe) people treat the alliance war like a joke.

Like I said in the original post, I want to work on game balance. Marketing is not my area, and I'd like to know what you guys think of the skill tree changes. I stopped working on it when school started (university keeps you busy). Plans were made for attack and classes, but due to their depth, that could take a long time.

I did mention that the spells become chargeable skills, which is something that I'd like to carry with me if I ever get to develop an mmo. Hotkey slots are standard for MMORPGs, and I'd like to break the status quo, and innovate in the area. Every attack, imo, should be a real experience; skills should not be a button away, "skills" should require an extensive amount of expertise to bring to the battlefield. I would design skills to be something that you can take to the training ground and practice on dummies, rather than grinding your way to flashyness.
    Options