The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Let's Talk Postern Door Bug...

DemonNinja
DemonNinja
✭✭✭✭
Well I am at my wits end with the Postern Door bug. This bug has existed since the start of the game and it is at the top of the most frustrating bugs list in ESO. The fact that this has not been fixed yet is, well, to be frank, ***. It can literally turn the tide of a fight if we have to run around the entire keep in order to access it.

It seems to mainly happen after repairing a keep's wall back up that has the postern on it. Though, occasionally we will happen on a Poster Door that simply says "Access Denied Sucker!"

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ - Can we please get an ETA on the fix for this? Frankly its unacceptable that this level of an issue has remained addressed for this long while you guys put resources on fixing things like Guild Tabards not showing on NPCs - that is totally cosmetic and should be prioritized lower than a game breaking bug... Enough is enough, lets get this fixed!
@DemonNinja
Aerilon Starsider - Best Sorcerer NA
World Record Trial Team Member & Game Breaker of Days Past
  • Pathfinder
    Pathfinder
    ✭✭✭
    Door boy: Do not try and open the door. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

DemonNinja: What truth?

Door boy: There is no door.

DemonNinja
    : There is no door?

Door boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the door that opens, it is only yourself.
    Edited by Pathfinder on August 29, 2014 6:11PM
    Main
    Malfahri del Sol Imperial Templar (stamplar *new respec) PC/NA/Trueflame
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL Thanks Pathfinder - I thought Matrix Online died years ago...
    @DemonNinja
  • NorthernFury
    NorthernFury
    ✭✭✭✭
    DemonNinja wrote: »
    Well I am at my wits end with the Postern Door bug. This bug has existed since the start of the game and it is at the top of the most frustrating bugs list in ESO. The fact that this has not been fixed yet is, well, to be frank, ***. It can literally turn the tide of a fight if we have to run around the entire keep in order to access it.

It seems to mainly happen after repairing a keep's wall back up that has the postern on it. Though, occasionally we will happen on a Poster Door that simply says "Access Denied Sucker!"

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ - Can we please get an ETA on the fix for this? Frankly its unacceptable that this level of an issue has remained addressed for this long while you guys put resources on fixing things like Guild Tabards not showing on NPCs - that is totally cosmetic and should be prioritized lower than a game breaking bug... Enough is enough, lets get this fixed!

That was a killer at Farragut last night. Totally agree this needs to be a priority as it happens quite often, sometimes in critical situations.

Skadi Storm-Blade - VR14 Altmer Sorcerer
    Brynnhild Valkyrja - VR12 Nord DragonKnight
    Haakon Hardrada - VR12 Nord Templar
    Sanguine's Tester (retired)

Cattle die
    kinsmen die
    all men are mortal.
    Words of praise
    will never perish
    nor a noble name.

- The Havamal
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 door bugs now. One in which the E does not appear on postern doors. The other is that the E does appear, but no matter how much you hit it, you do not go through the door. The second bug appeared last patch.
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 door bugs now. One in which the E does not appear on postern doors. The other is that the E does appear, but no matter how much you hit it, you do not go through the door. The second bug appeared last patch.

The second bug can be fixed by weaponswapping. The same fix works if you cannot use transit. If the E doesn't show up, no work around I know of.
  • seneferab16_ESO
    seneferab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Jaxom wrote: »

The second bug can be fixed by weaponswapping. The same fix works if you cannot use transit. If the E doesn't show up, no work around I know of.

Weaponswapping doesn't always fix it for me, /reloadui sometimes does. And if not, a relog will.

Yay queue.

Aerin Treerunner, pre dinner snack
  • Planchard
    Planchard
    ✭✭
    The 2nd one is an annoying bug but I've always been able to bypass it by hitting ESC twice. I've noticed that it usually happens after I die and I have an ability that is in que as I die. When I spawn at a keep, none of my abilities will work and you can't use a door/transit even though E appears on screen.

Another bug is where your weapons disappear and you can't see your casting animations. If you encounter this bug and you're out of combat, unequip your pants and then equip them again. This should solve that issue (it has for me each time I've encountered it)
    Edited by Planchard on August 29, 2014 8:10PM
    Planchard - V14 Templar Healer DC Rank 24 (Retired)
    Leggo Mayne- V16 Stamina DK DC Rank 27

MEGA BEST FRIENDS!
    Nemesis

PSN- UGotPlanchard
    Alliance- DC
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭

Weaponswapping doesn't always fix it for me, /reloadui sometimes does. And if not, a relog will.

Yay queue.

Yeah, it's gone on far too long. This should have been fixed during beta.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    The postern door issues are ones we've been trying to reliably reproduce internally for some time now. We are aware of the issues and still working on determining the cause. If you have any details that may help us pin down the combination of things that triggers this to happen, please let us know.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any time a section of wall containing a door is rebuilt, it seems to bug out about 50% of the time.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Strakand
    Strakand
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom as people have stated above the most common occurrence is after a wall is rebuilt that holds a door within.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^It seems to fix if you relog, and it seems to occur after the breach is repaired. So if I log on, head to kingscrest. Watch the postern wall get breached, then someone repairs it there is a good chance it will not work. If I relog it will work.
    Edited by Armitas on August 29, 2014 8:37PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Strakand wrote: »
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom as people have stated above the most common occurrence is after a wall is rebuilt that holds a door within.

Thank you. We do have that particular scenario noted.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strakand wrote: »

This. Also, when you get the random loading screen when rebuilding walls, most of the time it bugs out then as well.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    This. Also, when you get the random loading screen when rebuilding walls, most of the time it bugs out then as well.

Hmm, interesting. Sending that one along. Thanks! :)

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DemonNinja wrote: »
    LOL Thanks Pathfinder - I thought Matrix Online died years ago...
    Matrix Online died a month before it was released.
    :trollin:
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe if they didn't rely on their player base to create addons to their severely lacking UI they would be able to reproduce these bugs more reliably. I honestly believe that a majority of these bugs we encounter is because they have no idea how their code is going to interact with the player made addons.
    :trollin:
  • Strakand
    Strakand
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if they didn't rely on their player base to create addons to their severely lacking UI they would be able to reproduce these bugs more reliably. I honestly believe that a majority of these bugs we encounter is because they have no idea how their code is going to interact with the player made addons.

Hmmmmm.....

addons are used in many MMOs.

This bug occurs without addons.... so..... yeah......
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    The postern door issues are ones we've been trying to reliably reproduce internally for some time now. We are aware of the issues and still working on determining the cause. If you have any details that may help us pin down the combination of things that triggers this to happen, please let us know.

Yes, it pretty consistently happens when a wall is repaired at a keep. I would say with 90% confidence that if I repair a postern wall I cant ever use the door once the wall goes back up.
    @DemonNinja
  • Planchard
    Planchard
    ✭✭
    When rebuilding the outer walls in keeps, repair the steps instead of running right up onto the wall. If you stand behind the steps and repair from there, you'll usually be out of range for when the wall is repaired enough and rebuilt. When you see everyone transport once it's been built, you should be able to use the door since you weren't transported.

I've been doing this lately and I've noticed it's helped out quite a bit but sometimes will still bug out.
    Planchard - V14 Templar Healer DC Rank 24 (Retired)
    Leggo Mayne- V16 Stamina DK DC Rank 27

MEGA BEST FRIENDS!
    Nemesis

PSN- UGotPlanchard
    Alliance- DC
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also as others mentioned whenever a wall gets repaired there does tend to be a quick load screen that comes up. Which is very jarring and annoying.
    @DemonNinja
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, interesting. Sending that one along. Thanks! :)

I have noticed that after repairing enough, when the section of the wall with the post door repairs.... at the same time i get a split second black screen OR that split second screen load. This only happens when i am inside the keep as the section gets repaired. This also the only time that the postern door problem occurs and will not give me the option to use the door. IF I am not inside the keep or close outside when the post door wall is repaired i do not get the bug
  • seneferab16_ESO
    seneferab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Planchard wrote: »
    When rebuilding the outer walls in keeps, repair the steps instead of running right up onto the wall. If you stand behind the steps and repair from there, you'll usually be out of range for when the wall is repaired enough and rebuilt. When you see everyone transport once it's been built, you should be able to use the door since you weren't transported.

I've been doing this lately and I've noticed it's helped out quite a bit but sometimes will still bug out.

Awesome, will try.

Aerin Treerunner, pre dinner snack
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night, I had two fun bugs. My EP was the only one repairing a wall from inside, at one of the DC keeps... it went to 92 percent before the graphics caught up.. and put me outside in the outer courtyard in the grass.

Later, I was repairing am outer wall with some others.. up , up.. and.. load screen, I come back halfway back across the courtyard, off the steps and almost to the postern steps..
    Edited by Darlgon on August 29, 2014 10:54PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • dcincali
    dcincali
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember when /reloadui fixed everything... Ah.. The good old days...
  • themizario
    themizario
    ✭✭✭
    It's not amusing anymore seeing the door fix in patch notes and it STILL is a problem.
  • dbishop
    dbishop
    ✭✭✭
    What a great bug. Really gets the heart pounding when you're being chased to a door that may or may not save you.

Totally random whether they open or not and being on a 170+ ping I just accept it as another way to die.

On some keeps they all bug out and the only way I can get out is to jump from the second floor.

Maybe I should change that E to a scroll wheel up so I can just keep rolling till it works.
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its definitely connected to rebuilding the wall and then not being able to use the door. If i help rebuild it..9 times out of 10 I wont be able to use it. It also seems to be particular keeps..Arrius is horrendous for it.
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Postern door bug has been around forever.

It's so bad and has existed so long many of us now believe if the dev's cared it would be fixed. It's like the NB dark cloak.

We're to the point where we just don't think they care.

We've listed simple game breaking PvP mechanics for months. This one has been on almost every list.

How about this.

Get rid of the postern doors. Whatever design you're using for the front door, use it for the New Improved Postern Door. Make a mini-front door and add them to keeps. Maybe they'll work.

It's not just one door.

Sometimes we run to 2 postern doors. Then we give up. We just say forget it....run to the front door, see if we make it. Whatever we were doing is over in the seconds we lost anyway.

Because guess what? The front door always works.

Well 99% of the time anyway. If it doesn't work we know we're screwed. Then it's time for the /stuck /reloadui or the logout login relog loop. At which point you're screwed.

Because the queue will be 171 people long. Imagine that...another door that needs to be fixed.
    Edited by StihlReign on September 2, 2014 12:02PM
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • dcincali
    dcincali
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the loading screens when the wall is re-built. Today on Chill we (AD) were pushing in a keep (DC) back flag to front and the wall got repaired. We all got the loading animation and died right after. Awesome.