The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Computer Reboots once reaching character select screen.

KingOfMidgets
KingOfMidgets
Soul Shriven
I have been playing since release (and some beta before) and haven't had any technical issues with the game until today. I go to log on and my computer constantly reboots once it loads to the character selection screen.

I have loaded other games (Rift, League of Legends) to make sure that it wasn't just ESO. However, both of those games ran smoothly and it seems to be just an issue with ESO. I have made sure my video drivers are updated and also did a repair in the game launcher. I have used HWMoniter (on the rare one chance my computer made it past the character select screen) and my temperatures were within normal range.

I am out of ideas on what to do. Please help!
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess #1, you have a failing video card.

Guess #2, you have a failing power supply.

Guess #3, you have failing memory.

Just because those other games run fine, and ESO does not, do not assume that the problem is ESO until the easier to fix solutions are ruled out.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • KingOfMidgets
    KingOfMidgets
    Soul Shriven
    Not assuming anything. Tried to get in contact with customer support from microcenter (where I purchased all parts to build my computer and protection plan) and they notified me they could not help me and said it was a software issue with ESO, which prompted me to come to the forums. Even though everything I've researched has dealt with your guesses.

Was a last ditch effort before I take my computer in and exchange parts.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right. I just don't want you to feel helpless. The solution may be something you can fix yourself. Hopefully the ZOS people can help.

I find that sudden reboots tend to lead to hardware problems and I have my own experiences to back that up.

ESO crashed my system with either a video driver error or a reboot after anywhere from 5 minutes of play to an hour of play. Drove me nuts because no other game I owned had a problem. Eventually, I tracked it down to the video card and got EVGA to replace it under warranty after explaining to them in detail exactly how I arrived at the diagnosis. A replacement card solved the problem instantly.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • KingOfMidgets
    KingOfMidgets
    Soul Shriven
    I also understand that ESO is more graphically demanding than the other two games I have on my PC, which is why those others work. I've been able to load up and run around on minimum settings, but the second I change it to even low or medium the computer crashes again.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I wouldnt even begin to know where to look for a certain issue and which piece of equipment that issue may be in.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BurnIn test is a pretty good shotgunning tool. It will hit your whole system hard to find problems.

For your power supply you should be getting 5v on the red and 12v on the yellow. You can also look through the vent slits and look for something that looks like a tiny soda can. If you see any cans with a rounded top or a black liquid at the top then your power supply does or will have a problem. Power supplies usually fail by not turning back on not turning off like that though.
    Edited by Armitas on August 29, 2014 7:53PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK