The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What's up with the group finder?

Lockles
Lockles
Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this (and hopefully enlighten the subject).

At level 6 I noticed the Group Finder feature, and saw I could queue up for a group to (5-10) Fungal Grotto. As I'm trying to be a healer, (which absolutely sucks for questing) I was hoping to level up mostly with dungeons. Much like I have in most other MMORPG's.
Soon enough, a group was found of others around level 6 and then the trouble started. It turns out, Fungal Grotto is in the Ebonheart Pack zones. Somewhere my Daggerfall group couldn't get to. Then some one pointed out, we have to complete another dungeon (if I remember his words correctly) "Spindleclutch".

This dungeon doesn't appear on my groupfinder. I don't really understand how that's supposed to work. But it was explained to me that I would have to do the dungeon in my faction's zones for that level, before I can do the other faction's dungeons of the same level. Odd system, but okay. I'm cool with a little unlocking.

Here's the problem though. Spindleclutch's first trashmob is level 13. No way our group of level 5's could get through.
When some one in the group lets out his frustration about this, another groupmember mentioned the Fungal Grotto of level 5-10 in the groupfinder was only aimed for people of level 12.

So here's my main concern:
Why can I use a groupfinding tool for 1 dungeon I cannot get to untill I've done another dungeon, when both of those dungeons are far too difficult for my level?
It makes no sense to me. :S
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very important piece of advice at the end of this, don't miss it.

Your first mistake was to use the Group Finder Tool. Currently it leaves a lot to be desired and not that many people use it. Better is to send out a /zone chat message LFG L6 Healer for XXXX Dungeon. Wait about 10 or 15 minutes for people to show, then ask them to group or whisper to join their group.

I don't know why they let you group for a higher level dungeon maybe it's because other's can carry you. I will say you need a good group to do the group dungeons, and in my exp, I always needed a Healer in those places. Tanking and DPS I could handle.

Also, once you have done a Group Dungeon, you can fast travel to other group dungeons of the same level in other zones (right click on the map a couple of times to zoom out to see the other group dungeons)

Once you are grouped with someone you can travel to them. I don't know if this gets you around the above restriction about having to do a Group Dungeon in your zone before you can travel to the other ones.

Important Advice Set your Group up before you go into or travel to the dungeon (you travel to the inside of these, not the doors) and make the lowest leveled player in your group the leader before you go into the dungeon. Bosses are scaled to the Group Leader, so you don't want a L25 Boss in a L15 Group Dungeon. Once inside I don't know if it matters who the group leader is.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lockles
    Lockles
    Thanks for the fast reply! Your advice on who to make the group leader seems very valuable. I'd really like to thank you for that.

I was looking online for some info on the matter. Couldn't find much, but the levels of the dungeons seem pretty clear and the rewards for them as well.

What I gathered is that it is in no way feasible to be a tank or healer in this game, untill you hit end-game content. Did I understand that right?

Because if there are 10 levels between dungeons and the reward for each dungeon is only given once. Given the amount of experience per dungeon run, I would end up healing 2 levels, and then soloing my way through quests for the next 8 untill I can do a dungeon again. Or did I misunderstand the way dungeon rewards work?

I can hardly believe the dungeon crawlers are so inhibited in an online game. What's the point of making an MMO if they're going to force me to solo my way through a ton of quests anyway? I love the Elder Scrolls series, but I wasn't aware I signed on for a monthly fee to play Oblivion with more latency and framerate drops.

Edited by Lockles on August 21, 2014 7:16PM
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first you can discover the locations of dungeons in other factions territory by talking to the undaunted guys in taverns and then it will allow you to teleport to them on your map.The group finder will let you know you are in the level range of said dungeon when you can que for it. yes you only receive a big chunk of xp once per dungeon by completing the quest and as for tank and healer they are very viable, and necessary if you ask me. Some will say vet dungeons do not require a tank but this isnt gw2 you can build a regular party and complete any dungeon aslong as your not lvl 6 trying to go into spindle thats clearly for 12-14
  • Lockles
    Lockles
    I spoke of it being unfeasible, I never mentioned viability.

Of course peope need healers and tanks for the dungeons.

My point is this:
    There are 16 Dungeons (ignoring veteran dungeons for now) each giving about half a level as a reward the first time you do them. Meaning you spend 8/50 levels in dungeons. The other 42, you're questing. With a character that has crippled it's soloing potential to incorporate healing spells, defensive spells or taunting abilities.

Or simpler put: You wasted time leveling a restoration staff, you'll only need 16% of the time (when in dungeons), making you do less damage 84% of the time (when you're questing) because you hadn't leveled up your fireballing skills when you were working with the restoration staff.

Which means, untill you can do Veteran dungeons, you might as well just ignore dungeons altogether and just grind away with a big sword untill no more mer and men will talk to you. And then level up your healing stick.

That sucks. :\
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lockles wrote: »

What I gathered is that it is in no way feasible to be a tank or healer in this game, untill you hit end-game content. Did I understand that right?

You can be a Tank from the get go, I have one character that is just that. A Dragon Knight. He charges in, stands in the middle of the mob, ignites Sea of Flames, holds Block and hits each enemy in turn with Unstable Flame (DoT). Enemies die quickly, he survives. He is in Heavy Armor and uses One Hand/Shield.

As for a Healer, a pure healer would be tough. However, any class can carry a Restoration Staff and heal with that. It would just be the secondary weapon for those types of Builds. Templars have additional healing skills and can be quite powerful fighters. The staff attacks enemies, so it's not just for healing. What I am not sure of, and this is because I have yet to play a healer, is if you use the staff on an ally, does it heal, or do you have to use a skill for that.

• Lockles
    Lockles
    Again, I wasn't discussing if tanking and healing can be done. I was saying that with the time you spend in dungeons being such a tiny part of the game, there is no point in doing these jobs. You're just wasting skillpoints in healing or tanking abilities you'll use ~16% of the time up till level 50. That sucks.

And about the Restoration Staff:
    The left mousebutton attack, is just an attack. It doens't heal.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, to me Tanking is a style of combat, not a group role. My Sorc stands back and fires off DPS, my NB dances around in the shadows doing Burst DPS. My Tank character just stands in the middle of the mobs dealing out death.

If there is anyone else along with me, I may make some adjustments to what the characters are doing to compliment the PUG or Adhoc, but they are going to be doing things basically the way that they were built for.

Now, in a True Group situation, I play closer to the role that I present.

As for being a Healer, sure it's more effective in a group situation, but for most of the content, in PvE at least, Healing is a secondary role. However, I have been in Group dungeons that when I have not had a healer in the group it's not that much fun without them. So, a healer is going to be of more benefit to more people in PvP than in PvE. Problem is, you have to PvE to build them up, at least some of the way anyway.
    Edited by Nestor on August 22, 2014 5:32PM

• felinith66
    felinith66
    ✭✭✭
    Before, you could only do group dungeons once you reach level 10 or 15. They changed it to level 5 recently. Level 5. I don't know what prompted the change but sending level 5's into group dungeons where a group of level 10's/15's would find really challenging is just insane. I don't know if the devs are just trolling or what. My advice? Don't do group dungeons until you get weapon swapping.
  • Kcttocs
    Kcttocs
    ✭✭✭
    What I always tried to do while leveling or starting a new map, is while I am completing the in town quests that seem to be designed for you to learn the town and are usually not very dangerous, is be on the look out for players doing the same quest as you. Hit F while looking at them and invite to group.. then quest with said person until one of you has to go. Repeat as often as you can. It's a lot funner that way and you die a lot less frequently, although once you LTP, you really don't need that extra player, but it's funner. The instanced dungeons, like Spindle and Fungle, you need a group. Group finder sucks unless you are a Tank, because those are the rolls no body likes to play or at least advertise. I changed up my Templar to Tanking duties in the Vet levels and usually don't wait long for a group using group finder now.