Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Master Crafters: Apply Racial Style Changes to Dropped Armour

AoEnwyr
AoEnwyr
✭✭✭✭
Recently after reacting Lv50 in Blacksmithing with Woodworking and Clothing not far behind I was thinking it would be a nice bonus skill if Master Crafters could alter the racial style of dropped gear. They would still need to have unlocked the style via motifs and use the corresponding style material to make the change. The item could be bound after the change the same as dyed goods are bound.
  • Blkadr
    Blkadr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use some slightly better things because they're hideous and don't match my outfit, I'm vain like that. Dyes can only do so much. If they can do it with Imperial gear, why not the rest of them?
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I like this idea, maybe make it a crafting passive ?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's been suggested before.

And I supported it then, so I'll support it now.

I have a thing about getting the match between the armour and my character right, it only has to make sense to me, but in my head it works
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • bluesodafizz
    bluesodafizz
    ✭✭✭
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    Yep, I like this idea, maybe make it a crafting passive ?

I really like this idea. :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have the ability to do this. Deconstruct what you have, then make a new one in the Racial Style you want. This is closer to reality anyway. To dramatically change the style of a piece a gear, would require partial or complete deconstruction and then reconstruction.

Although it won't apply to Dropped Sets. So, a mechanic could be introduced where you can change the Racial Style, but have to use the materials to make the gear in the first place. Maybe just the net amount of gear, like you could decon and get 5 Mats out of a piece that takes 8 mats to make, you need to add 3 mats to make it again. Throw in a possibility of needing to add the trait gem back in to the mix. This could all be resolved with an RNG during the process.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would also be awesome to be able to change the trait! Srsly there are a lot of weapon/armorsets i havent tried out because the traits were garbage.
    Edited by Yusuf on August 27, 2014 5:01PM
  • Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    This would be great. I got the Dreugh King Slayer chest piece last night , love <3 the bonus that come with it but its ugly on :( .. If it was ork (the only sexy heavy armor chest piece available) She would be wearing it not letting it set in my inventory..
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, like it.
    After all what's the point in being a master craftsman if you can't craft as you like.
    Or as Zenimax would put it... "Craft the Things the Way You Want"

;)
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like it.

This or a new kind of drop that allows you to craft a set piece in any style and with any trait you want... (Maybe tie it into trait research to keep that relavent too.)
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a realism point of view it doesn't make sense. Having said that, from a realism point of view it doesn't make sense to be able to convert to Imperial style either, so the cat's already out of the bag on that one.

I say let crafters do this if they know the style, and have some method of unlocking this ability (whether it's a new passive available in the skill lines, or an automatic ability on hitting X level in the skill line, or on researching X traits, or whatever).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    From a realism point of view it doesn't make sense. Having said that, from a realism point of view it doesn't make sense to be able to convert to Imperial style either, so the cat's already out of the bag on that one.
    If speaking of realism, how come the same heavy plate armor can be equipped on a min height bosmer and then equipped on a max height/weight nord?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeratus wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    If speaking of realism, how come the same heavy plate armor can be equipped on a min height bosmer and then equipped on a max height/weight nord?
    If we wanted realism on that, you'd need to go to a crafting station to make an alteration before you could equip it. Historically it was very common for armour to be altered in order to better fit a new wearer.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Super_Sonico
    Super_Sonico
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would really just be all for master armorers to be able to repair items using crafting mats instead of repair kits.
  • AoEnwyr
    AoEnwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    This is closer to reality anyway.

If reality were an issue we should be rather concerned that mudcrabs wander around with a Heavy Curiass on board :) Of course we can break things down and recreate them in the style we want, that goes without saying. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possiblity though that part of a dropped set could be reworked. Clothing can be re tailored in real life to have a very different appearance from its original form and while I don't know a localy smithy, metals can be reworked into different shapes without destroying the original product.

I wear full heavy armour which is made up of two different sets at the moment. I can't convert set pieces to Imperial so I fell like a bit of a clown. I would like to have a more consistent appearance to my outfit but I don't think it should be a free for all, hence why I think it should be an unlockable skill :)
  • Probitas
    Probitas
    ✭✭✭
    No. H377 No.

The ability to change an items motif and then break it down for components would allow for some of the rarest motif items to be farmed far too easily.

Unless they tweaked it so that once changed you can't decon it, only sell/trash it.
    Edited by Probitas on August 27, 2014 11:09PM
  • RoyMallis
    RoyMallis
    ✭✭✭
    @Probitas - Decon would yield nothing of value like the crap gear you can grab off tables that is worth 0g. Edit - Or what UlanX wrote lol.

I have brought this idea up my self. an alternate thought for those who feel it isn't realistic to swap out the motif I came up with the idea of being able to create custom costumes from gear. It would require at least three parts, one of which being pants or top/robe, so that people aren't running around in a naked costume while in full armor. It might be a cool feature as well to be able to add some of conditionally activated effect (like glow, or beam of light on crit while receiving/giving healing).
    Edited by RoyMallis on August 27, 2014 11:42PM
    I do what I can, when I can, to provide in game help to those seeking it. @RoyMallis
  • AoEnwyr
    AoEnwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probitas wrote: »
    No. H377 No.

The ability to change an items motif and then break it down for components would allow for some of the rarest motif items to be farmed far too easily.

Unless they tweaked it so that once changed you can't decon it, only sell/trash it.

I'm not sure how this would contribute to faming items? You would require the style itmes to convert it in the first place. So if you are talking about farming rare items I would first still need to have unlocked the motif and secondly have the items to convert it. So if I wanted to take a Nord style piece and convert it to Daedric I would need to have Daedra Heats in order to convert it.

There would be no farming because your return would be less than your investment of style materials.
    Edited by AoEnwyr on August 27, 2014 11:40PM
  • Probitas
    Probitas
    ✭✭✭
    @RoyM - actually I can use my Imp and change the style on armor and bust it down and get Imp boosts. I do not believe that is working as intended. I logged in just now and tested it. Sure sometimes you get zip, but after building 5 different axes for 5 races other than Imp, converting, and then deconning, I got 1 nickel back. Maybe it's not efficient, but it's easier using iron to decon for daedra, I'm sure. If Z make it so this can be done without also using up existing motif items during a change, it will be abused.

And while I get the whole costume thing from other MMOs, this wouldn't work unless it was disabled in PVP zones so people can actually see what you have on, including your helmet. And we already have magical effects from using abilities.
  • RoyMallis
    RoyMallis
    ✭✭✭
    @probitas But can't you currently wear leftover quest costumes in PVP? I know I have jumped in while I was wearing my Veiled Heritance Merc costume (iforget the exact name).
    I do what I can, when I can, to provide in game help to those seeking it. @RoyMallis
  • DragonLane555
    DragonLane555
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
  • jelliedsoup
    jelliedsoup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I want this too. Last time I suggested it I got something about deconstructing Radish's so hopefully support for this idea is growing.
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ks8_KGHqmO4
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I want this too. Last time I suggested it I got something about deconstructing Radish's so hopefully support for this idea is growing.
    Deconstructing radishes? That sounds like a quickfire challenge on Top Chef...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probitas wrote: »
    No. H377 No.

who the hell cares about the stones man-.-

EDIT: haven't seen @UlanX 's comment, you can't farm if you have to spend a stone anyway.
    Edited by Yusuf on August 28, 2014 2:37AM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome idea, I don't see why this shouldn't be a thing.
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • pinstripesc
    pinstripesc
    ✭✭✭
    More than this, I think it'd be great to be able to "research" the style of unique looking set pieces when you own them.
  • sicnathron
    This would be amazing please do it or a way to mask items with other items I think I read someplace it was part of the plan eventually but damn that would be nice right about now since I'm looking to make a tribute character for an old guild of mine that would wear their colors overall theme, sometimes I really miss those guys but most moved on to other things and you know how it goes.