The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can I only research a single trait for a given item at a time?

GrimMauKin
GrimMauKin
✭✭✭✭
I've currently got 9 days to go researching my 7th dagger trait and have acquired a dagger with the 8th trait. It shows as researchable and I can go through the stages of researching it (I have 2 research slots open) but it won't actually start researching; can I only research 1 trait of a given item at a time?
I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thing you can only research 1 trait per weapon at any time....although you research multiple (2) weapons with the right passive.

whether this should be changed or not Is a good argument though.
    Once the timer is active the weapon is locked out.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on August 16, 2014 7:25PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Actually if you spend the skill points you can research 3 separate things at a time in either wood, bs, or cloth. And the time savings for 3 points is a little over 6 days for the 8th trait.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually if you spend the skill points you can research 3 separate things at a time in either wood, bs, or cloth. And the time savings for 3 points is a little over 6 days for the 8th trait.

Yes, but you can only research one trait per type of gear at a time, ie you can only research one trait for a sword at a time.

Which is what the OP is complaining about.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • xChewtoyx
    xChewtoyx
    ✭✭✭

I think you missed the point of the OP. They are asking if its possible to research two traits on the same weapon at the same time. For example; Is it possible to research precise and sharpened on a frost staff at the same time.

No it isn't
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have an Alt? If you do and they've got a research slot, get them to research it and then when you need the item you can make another and put it in the bank. If you don't have an Alt, why not make one, just to be able to? :)
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you have an Alt? If you do and they've got a research slot, get them to research it and then when you need the item you can make another and put it in the bank. If you don't have an Alt, why not make one, just to be able to? :)

Alts have different crafting levels, while this seems viable, it's just more work.

Trust me I'm doing it.

I did it to reduce the number of items in my bank, basing the logic that if I learn it on my Templar, and need to learn in on my Sorc, I can have my Templar craft it and pass it along for research.

But for crafting for use, it's not viable since your other alt will have a lower crafting level, thus can't craft with the higher level mats.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason this doesn't work is because there are many, many items, each of which has 8 possible traits. You need to be thinking about having 3 trait researches going all of the time until you have everything, not worrying about just one item. Using alts to distribute the work just multiplies the bank space issues.

By the time you get down to the last few traits several things will have happened:

1. You won't need to keep too many things in the "save for research" queue
    2. You'll have expanded your bag/bank to the point where the storage won't be a problem for you any more.
    3. You'll gradually max out the really bank intensive crafts (Provisioning especially) and won't need all that space to begin with.

tl;dr take the long view, it all works out eventually.