The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Newbie Nightblade Caster

Varlock86
Varlock86
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone!

I'm a fan of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, and played some MMORPG's before (SWTOR, WOW and some free ones too), but I have never found something so customizable as this game, and I love it.
But frustrates me also.. here's the thing:

I love to play casters, they are my all time favorites, and I want to play one here too, but the sorcerer is not to my liking.

Coudl someone please recommend me a good NB caster build for leveling? Most of the buidl I have found are for end game, and this game is too complex for me to find out myself how to rearrange them to be fit for lower levels and progression.

Thank you very much for the help :smile:
In ja-Kha'jay we find ourselfes, and the sugar hiding all around us, and we are happy!
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    If you are set on NB I'd suggest Restoration staff as a complete heavy attack return magicka and combine it with mostly Siphoning and a few Shadow abilites.

If you want to heal in groups I strongly suggest you morph Strife into Funnel Health. Even if you don't play as a healer it helps the group.

Agony can be useful at times, it's a mez with a DoT attached when in breaks early or timer runs out. Malefic Wreath is the morph I'd suggest and the reason is that it delivers all damage once it breaks instead of a DoT. You can't reapply Agony and the Prolonged Suffering morph until the DoT has run it's course, something to consider.

Cripple morphed into Crippling Grasp, more damage on hit and immobilize.

Siphoning Strikes morphed into Siphoning Attacks for a caster as this morph can trigger on offensive spells, it works very well with Force Shock from the Destruction staff as it seems to proc alot more, probably due to the Force Shock delivering 3 different types of damage on hit.

Power Drain is personal preference, if you feel the need for more survivability against large groups of mobs you'd do well with the Sap Essence morph, and it heals the group as well, Power Extraction if more powerful but doesn't heal, it's really up to you but by the time you unlock this you should probably know.

Soul Shred I'd go for Soul Siphon if you are really dedicated to healing, otherwise Soul Tether.

In Shadow you'll find Path of Darkness, it's similar to the Destruction staff Wall of Elements but with a longer duration, it can be morphed into a version that heals you or friendlies as well as damage them or one that does more damage and a much larger area.

Aspect of Terror is a fear that can be morphed into a stronger version that debuff, but it can be risky waiting for the big bad monster to get in your face before you cast it, the other morph Manifestation of Terror changes it to become a trap cast at your feet and affects more targets, it takes a couple of seconds to arm, and it's safer as you can place it between you and the mob giving you the option to keep out of harms way.

Summon shade is just a debuff that is rooted to the ground, morphed to Shadow Image you can teleport to it once or if you pick the other morph Dark Shades it summons 2 melee shadows that move to the target.

And finally, one of the best ultimates in the game Consuming Darkness morphed into Veil of Blades, huge mitigation for yourself and friendlies while standing in it and does damage as well, this will probably be your goto ability when facing difficult encounters.

In Assassination you can pick up Assassin's Blade and morph it into Impale for a ranged execute.

Should give you an idea of what to look forward to and get started.
    Edited by Armann on August 14, 2014 7:54PM
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Nice info, guns try this thanks
    Options
  • Varlock86
    Varlock86
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you Armann, this was very much helpfull :smiley:

I read many places that it is recommended to put all points in Health, but I find it realy strange to be honest :\ should I rely only on enchanting to boost my Magicka pool and regeneration?
    In ja-Kha'jay we find ourselfes, and the sugar hiding all around us, and we are happy!
    Options
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    Varlock86 wrote: »
    Thank you Armann, this was very much helpfull :smiley:

I read many places that it is recommended to put all points in Health, but I find it realy strange to be honest :\ should I rely only on enchanting to boost my Magicka pool and regeneration?

Don't rely on enchanting to keep up with your leveling unless you have a partner to trade crafted runes with, it levels extremly slow. When I level a caster I put all points in magicka while leveling and respec at VR1 and by then you should have at least 2 traits researched for your light armor so you can craft your own gear. Deconstruct and don't sell cloth armor, remember to keep some pieces spare until next time you log on to put into research. Also remember to put 3 points into Stitching (Clothing crafting) so you can research more than 1 item. Store bought runes are cheap and can be used on the greens and blues you get while you level to customize your gear, and you'll get plenty of runes from mobs you can use as well.
    Edited by Armann on August 15, 2014 6:52PM
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
    Options