The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Suggestion: Bow - How I would improve it

Elf_Boy
Elf_Boy
✭✭✭
I get that bow has lower base damage, with the CC effects, like snare and pushing a target back this can work well in 1 v 1.

I will frame my suggestion as follows: I play PVE, as of so far I have not chosen to PVP in this game. I have done some structured PVP in other game worlds, WOW, COH, the biggest two.

I dont think the bow needs more base damage, I dont want to see it homogenized with all the other weapons.

I like not having to deal with ammunition, adding special optional arrows, craft-able and purchasable would work along with that, no need to take away unlimited basic arrows.

If I dont think base damage should be improved then what? I think bows should get base penetration, the ability to bypass a percent of armor. I think bows should also get bonuses to the critical hit chance.

Starting with small numbers and slowly ramping them up till things work.

While this will result in more damage it will perform very differently then treating it like a sword swing being fired at a distance. There will be situations and mobs that would be hit harder by bows, and other hit harder by melee weapons.

No doubt each and every person who reads this, developer or player or game master or moderator will have differing views and ideas on what should be done and how.

I like having different mechanics for different weapons: more work to balance however a richer and more diverse gaming eco system will result.

Lets make bows functional yet unique and the same time.

Other weapons could use some tuning too.

-edit-
typo
Edited by Elf_Boy on July 28, 2014 11:03PM
** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    I think bow is the best spec ive played so far, in maxed on ever skill line and armor type on my sorc and only use crit surge, rest are bow and personally find it awsome, maybe animations could be better, hint at fiery arrows Biiig hint again..
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »

-edit-
    typo

I like your idea of unique arrows. Which leads me to this idea, what about quivers as an offhand slot for bows? Exactly what its purpose is would be up to ZoS, but I think this could add some needed spice to the bow style of play.
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inspiral1 wrote: »
    I think bow is the best spec ive played so far, in maxed on ever skill line and armor type on my sorc and only use crit surge, rest are bow and personally find it awsome, maybe animations could be better, hint at fiery arrows Biiig hint again..

How do you find your stamina regen like this?

I've been thinking of making a bow sorc, an Arcane Archer type. I use a stamina bow build as a Nightblade in PVP and I love it, but NB is very good for stamina regen and with siphon I can pretty much keep my stamina at full by putting a light attack in every rotation so have plenty for dodging (as well as 107 regen and 1900 stamina and full medium armour dodge reduction).

I did it for fun and it turned out to be the best build I'd ever made. I've been wondering how the stamina regen would work with a sorc...
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭

-edit-
    typo

I like your idea of unique arrows. Which leads me to this idea, what about quivers as an offhand slot for bows? Exactly what its purpose is would be up to ZoS, but I think this could add some needed spice to the bow style of play.

I like that idea, quivers that add attack speed maybe - lets you pull and fire faster, right? Maybe crit too, it is magic after all :)

Be a way to mix in some modular bonuses for people to customize builds with.

** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-edit-
    typo

I like that idea, quivers that add attack speed maybe - lets you pull and fire faster, right? Maybe crit too, it is magic after all :)

Quivers giving attack speed would be useless in this game.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase your base weapon damage with enchants and crafted sets like Hundig's Rage.

You'll see bow damage go up significantly that way.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭

-edit-
    typo

Why is that?
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-edit-
    typo

Why is that?

You should try the NB haste skill... It basically does nothing for your bow attack speed. The whole haste mechanic doesnt work with bows. Doesnt work too well with other things either :P
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on August 9, 2014 3:06PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭

-edit-
    typo

Why is that?

You should try the NB haste skill... It basically does nothing for your bow attack speed. The whole haste mechanic doesnt work with bows. Doesnt work too well with other things either :P

Just because a specific skill does not improve the fire rate does not mean an item would not.
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haste currently is not applied to bows.
    It doesn't matters if it is the NB skill Haste, the Passive of Medium Armor or a Quiver Item.

Haste is not working for Bows since release and ZOS seems to like it this way...
    Edited by Kego on August 11, 2014 9:38AM
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    Increase your base weapon damage with enchants and crafted sets like Hundig's Rage.

You'll see bow damage go up significantly that way.

This, I've slotted 5 Hundings Rage with 3 Ashens Grip (4 when I swap to my daggers), with Flawless Dawnbreaker the damage in PVP is... substantial... with a huge amount of dodge rolls (7 medium) and a lot of magic for stealth (no other use for magic).