The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Templar 1h+Shield vs Destro Staff (both w/ Resto as 2nd)

Roewan
Roewan
Soul Shriven
I was hoping to get some guidance regarding the efficiency/legitimacy of leveling (via quests and solo/public dungeons mainly) with 1h+shield vs Destro staff. I'm still *somewhat* new to the game, but have yet to get to into Templar. I have seen a number of videos like this that really get me interested the class. In this video in particular, though, the main bar (Destro staff) only has one weapon ability. I'm aware that it's a great AoE ability, but how efficient would this sort of build be if it utilized a 1h+shield instead of the staff? Would one be able to kill Molag Bal while making it seem so easy?

The main reason I'm asking -- The playstyle in the video looks fun, but at the lower levels (my Templar is @ 12), the playstyle is quite boring for me. I'm enjoying 1h+shield a bit more at lower levels, but I don't want to have to go back and level a new weapon once I've unlocked certain skills.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Vr4 Templar, 1h + shield with resto staff secondary.

I don't know if i'm gimping myself by using the shield, but i'm sticking with it for RP reasons. The restoration staff might be the most efficient all-round weapon.

1H Skill Bar

Puncture (sword and shield) - morphed to Ransack - buffs my armour for 12 seconds

Rushed Ceremony (restoring light) - morphed to Honour the Dead - instant heal that returns 88% of the power cost over 8 seconds if the target is below 50% health - like a free heal every 8 seconds basically!

Restoring Aura (restoring light) - morphed to Repentance - restores about 15% of my health and stamina every time I defeat an enemy

Rune Focus (restoring light) - morphed to restoring focus - gain over 1000 armour and 30% incoming healing modifier for 12 seconds, it also restores most of the power cost of casting it over this time, making it essentially free.

Puncturing Strikes (aedric spear)- morphed to Puncturing Sweep - melee AOE with a knockback/interrupt on closest target, restores 40% of the total damage done to all enemies as a heal on you. Very powerful when combined with the incoming healing buff from Restoring Aura.

Ultimate - Remembrance - my "oh ****" heal button

What does the shield do for me? It has a little armour of it's own but the main bonus is the buff from the Puncture skill. With Puncture, my character has, in 5 Light 2 Heavy armour, 1753 armour. With the staff equipped , i'm down to 997. Of Course, Rune Focus adds a hefty chunk, 1250 armour, on top of either config, provided I am able to stand in the protection circle it creates.

The main thing is the block mitigation passives, when blocking I take no damage, wheras I take about 40% damage with the staff when blocking.

OTOH staff allows you to use Regeneration (power efficient heal over time) on yourself, and apply the buff Force Syphon (restores 100% of the damage done to marked target as heal on yourself). Staff autoattacks are much more damaging than one hander ones, and of course they are ranged too. Heavy attacks restore magicka too, though this works less well in fights against multiple opponents or where you need to keep moving.

Generally I use the staff when fighting caster bosses or am going ranged.

I've got quite a few videos on my youtube channel, but they're before the latest patch when Honour the Dead got fixed, Puncturing Strikes buffed etc.

But I have one of me beating Molag Bal just by outhealing and beating him down in melee. That's not saying much , they guy's actually rather weak.

I'll try to upload some more recent combat vids, sword and shield + puncturing strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPizRANnzt4&list=UUF-az0D9zo9QGWVesNFYT5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewWp5UDpGTI&list=UUF-az0D9zo9QGWVesNFYT5Q

• jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    OK, give this one 15 minutes to upload. Here I am doing my best to get killed, with sword and shield, on-level mobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DleC9LS6cHo&feature=youtu.be

• Roewan
    Roewan
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for this. While you have proven the feasibility of your build, it seems to be slightly lacking in efficiency. One of the reasons I liked the build used in the video I linked was its speed of killing due to the amount of offensive abilities slotted and used on the primary bar with the resto staff/healing abilities put on the second bar.

I'm not at all bashing your build, in fact I quite like what you've put together. The "stand here and heal myself while everything slowly dies" is just really not my style. The question is -- Can you pull a couple same-level mobs with 1h+shield with a more offense-based build, or do you have to have your primary bar full of healing abilities to stand a chance with Templar?
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    3 mobs in 24 seconds is slow? In this game it is, especially compared with impulse spam sorcerer types. I'm not convinced the Templar is a true DPS class, i'm more of a tank/healer. In Lord of the Rings Online i'd be the squishiest of glass cannons by comparison. My tank took 1 minute and 40 seconds to kill a group of mobs (though she can take on 8 at once without trying), my bezerker style dps-er could do 3/4 in 40 seconds but finish with 1 hit point to spare.

Mind you , in other games, fast kill rate usually = high risk, in this, fast kill rate is also usually the safest way of doing things, so know what you mean about efficiency.

Changing my build?

The only non-negotiables i'd say are Rune Focus and Puncturing Strikes, I feel that my playstyle gets repetitive at times but that's what happens when one skill far outshines the others.

The most replaceable is probably Repentance, it's very good in group dungeons but solo, by the time you've taken down the first mob of the three you don't need it's small heal any more.

You could perhaps make a case for throwing out Honour The Dead too. Good versus bosses, against packs of normals, you are either facing too few opponents to need it, or so many that the Puncturing strikes AoE returns more health.

Question is, what would you put in place? I'm not the best one to ask, before VR2 I hadn't even opened either of the Templar DPS skill lines.

From what I've seen, Spear Shards (AOE knockdown) could be an interesting choice. Would greatly reduce the amount of damage you take if your opponents are all lying on the floor.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Spear, Empowered Sweep, Puncturing Sweep and I can AoE huge packs of mobs as a Templar (using Sword and Shield). It's good dps and high survivability. Can solo most things at VR12 using that, like Craglorn group dungeons and landscape, Dolmens, World Bosses etc.

But don't forget to use Immovable since Blazing Spear and Puncturing Strikes + morphs cant be used while blocking, messy to cancel, so you're very vulnerable to cc.

Good thing about Templar is that we dont need a Destruction staff for AoE. It's not really going to improve our performance much either, since we dont have any god-mode sorc/DK synergy with it.

Sword and Shield is a very strong weapon skill line once maxed out. I would say top 3, together with staffs. It adds loads of survivability, without gimping your dps to much. Cant go wrong with it.

Should however always have a Restoration staff as secondary weapon. You need the cheap HoT and the heavy attacks for magicka return. Also our best weapon choice for single target dps.
  • Roewan
    Roewan
    Soul Shriven
    Eliisra -- Thanks so much for your input! How do you allocate your M/H/S attributes to pull this off? I've heard some people say go all Magicka and some say go all HP and gear for MP.

Jester-- In retrospect, 24s for a group of mobs is not "slow" compared to a number of MMOs. However, if you re-watch the video I linked, you'll see that person take down a group of about 6 mobs in 8s from the first mob pulled. Through my experience (admittedly somewhat limited) with ESO, I've realized that 10-15s seems to be average for a group of 3-5 mobs. So while I agree that 24s is not 'slow' by any means, it has a slow feel to it. For me, feeling slow = feeling boring. Again, no offense...playstyle is purely a preference.
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Roewan wrote: »

Jester-- In retrospect, 24s for a group of mobs is not "slow" compared to a number of MMOs. However, if you re-watch the video I linked, you'll see that person take down a group of about 6 mobs in 8s from the first mob pulled. Through my experience (admittedly somewhat limited) with ESO, I've realized that 10-15s seems to be average for a group of 3-5 mobs. So while I agree that 24s is not 'slow' by any means, it has a slow feel to it. For me, feeling slow = feeling boring. Again, no offense...playstyle is purely a preference.

That player almost certainly has more DPS than me and can probably solo better, but THAT VIDEO IS USELESS AS A REFERENCE.

The video starts just after the moment in the concluding part of the main story chain where you get buffed to the wazoo with the amulet of kings as well as the blood sacrifice of a very significant character. The "trash" before Molag Bal is practically oneshotted by you in this state, no matter your build.

I chose a Templar not to lead the DPS charts (if that's even possible? up till recently it was 100% impossible to get even close) nor faceroll content but to have good support tools. It's a lot easier to find a group as a healer or a tank, and without swapping any abilities at all, my current build makes a decent enough healer/tank for world bosses / dolmens. Other people can run in while i'm keeping the mobs busy and drop a bomb on them etc.

I don't think "interesting" gameplay is purely a question of speed. I think how much you mix things up in the run of normal adventuring matters as well. In this respect I regret that my build , at times, requires only the mashing of the "puncturing strikes" button, whilst refreshing the buffs from Puncture/Ransack and Rune Focus when they drop off. If I had some other good soloing skills maybe there would be more variety in approach. But there's worse builds in that regard - know a sorc friend, I ask him how he can have 3 pets, if they use up 3 slots on his toolbar, he says it's np because he only uses 1 button anyway..

There's always gonna be a risk of this though, with the game being young and some skills being vastly more powerful than others (some being a cure-all , others useless) and with having only space for 5 skills on the toolbar, and weapon swapping being so flaky.

As for stats, I went mostly Health because I want to be able to tank if needed, and because Honour the Dead only gives the power return if you're below 50% when casting, which is risky with a smaller health pool. ATM I have 2350 Health, 1400 Magikca and 1200 Stamina. I have a Magicka regen necklace, one stamina regen ring and one health regen ring. All three stats are just into the softcap on regen, and obviously armour goes well into softcap with my self buffs. I've got the veteran version of the Warlock set on, which you may encounter in the second PVE zone, it restores a big chunk of magika if you fall below 33% Magika (once per minute).
    Edited by jesterstear on July 24, 2014 5:55PM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have solo'd just about everything on my temp. This was even before the buff.

7 piece light armor with a heavy emphasis on magicka regen (5 piece warlock and seducer work amazingly well together,) weapon doesn't really matter.

Loadout:

Puncturing Strikes
    Reflective Light
    Luminous Shards
    Breath of Life
    Channeled Focus

Use Reflective Light to pull as much as possible. Drop Channeled Focus. Spam Puncturing strikes over and over as it kills them and heals the crap out of you. Cast Breath of Life when you are at 33% health or lower.

You should not have issues with anything. You can honestly even do without Channeled Focus and Reflective Light to level up other skills if you want.

I've solo'd Veteran Dark Anchors like this (although it was a pain in the butt.)

There's been two world bosses I had issues with that I couldn't solo using this method.

Buy some magicka pots if you need to, but for the most part, this hasn't failed me. So many other templars ask me how I maintain near infinite Puncturing Strikes spam, and I tell them that it's simply by stacking magicka and the awesomeness that is the 5 piece warlock set bonus.

Unfortunately, however, that's about it for Templar viability aside from healing:

Tanking isn't really needed in ESO and due to the fact that you can't really stack divines and use the Thief Mundus (you need magicka and Magicka recovery, both of which favor infused) there's no way to really break that 700 sustained DPS threshold single target on a Temp.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roewan wrote: »
    Eliisra -- Thanks so much for your input! How do you allocate your M/H/S attributes to pull this off? I've heard some people say go all Magicka and some say go all HP and gear for MP.

I allocate most my points into magicka. But there aren't any set rules. You have to consider racial bonuses and overcharged stats when you allocate points. Some races get more magicka, some get more stamina and so on. Also whether you're going to build around food buffs and what quality glyphs you can afford. Attribute points are more like putting a puzzle together.

Make sure you reach soft cap on magicka, than some. Use food, spare attribute points, jewellery and glyphs to get a decent mix between stamina and health. Or that's what I do. Even if you aren't a stamina build (what ever that really means) you need stamina. Being able to consistently block and dodge does more for survivability than a few extra points in health.

But this is from a solo- or PvP perspective, I should add. If playing dps, heal or tank in trials you have to consider stats and build differently. You cant run with a strong and "balanced" solo monster.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasion, Biting Jabs, Reflective Light, Blazing Spear, Immovable or Blazing Shield - depending on if you're having more trouble with CCs or incoming damage + Empowering Sweeps

Don't even need a second weapon to burn down normal mob groups in vet content reasonably fast and the destruction staff only adds more AoE, which there's plenty of already. The big advantage of Invasion is that you can zip to mages or healers who like to spread out. There's also the class ability doing virtually the same minus the stun, but it costs a fair amount of magicka and stamina ( in PvE ) is usually more expendable.

In longer fights a Resto staff is pretty much obligatory for the resource management unfortunately. And don't expect to be taken along as a dps on trials as a Templar, no matter what spec.
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »
    I have solo'd just about everything on my temp. This was even before the buff.

7 piece light armor with a heavy emphasis on magicka regen (5 piece warlock and seducer work amazingly well together,) weapon doesn't really matter.

Loadout:

Puncturing Strikes
    Reflective Light
    Luminous Shards
    Breath of Life
    Channeled Focus

Use Reflective Light to pull as much as possible. Drop Channeled Focus. Spam Puncturing strikes over and over as it kills them and heals the crap out of you. Cast Breath of Life when you are at 33% health or lower.

You should not have issues with anything. You can honestly even do without Channeled Focus and Reflective Light to level up other skills if you want.

I've solo'd Veteran Dark Anchors like this (although it was a pain in the butt.)

There's been two world bosses I had issues with that I couldn't solo using this method.

Buy some magicka pots if you need to, but for the most part, this hasn't failed me. So many other templars ask me how I maintain near infinite Puncturing Strikes spam, and I tell them that it's simply by stacking magicka and the awesomeness that is the 5 piece warlock set bonus.

Unfortunately, however, that's about it for Templar viability aside from healing:

Tanking isn't really needed in ESO and due to the fact that you can't really stack divines and use the Thief Mundus (you need magicka and Magicka recovery, both of which favor infused) there's no way to really break that 700 sustained DPS threshold single target on a Temp.

Agreed until u put its about it for Templar viability. That's when I realized u have no clue. I soloed v5 doleman's with 100% different load out so don't ignorantly knock other builds because the one u are using is working for you. Especially where someone is asking advice for the class.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed until u put its about it for Templar viability. That's when I realized u have no clue. I soloed v5 doleman's with 100% different load out so don't ignorantly knock other builds because the one u are using is working for you. Especially where someone is asking advice for the class.

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

Are you saying that Templar's are viable Trials DPS? Because they aren't. You don't really need a tank in this game, so aside from healing, there's only one viable role for Templars in end-game competitive trials.

• Roewan
    Roewan
    Soul Shriven
    @Dylan -- I'd love to see what type of loadout you're speaking of. Can you link a build?
  • Kcttocs
    Kcttocs
    ✭✭✭
    I won't get all technical. At vr8 I've been doing 1h&shield on one bar and resto on the second. 36M/13H/0 stam.
    This has been working pretty well for me, I can burn through a 3 man mob very efficiently 10 seconds or less usually, and still have over half my manna. I always pick out the caster or archer, and shield charge (uses stamina), move a bit to keep the rest in my Puncturing sweep AOE and go to town, they die rather quickly. My Puncturing sweep is morphed to heal me. I keep sword and board up because it blocks better than the resto. I do not tank and don't ever plan on tanking. I can dps excellent with mobs in my puncturing sweep area. Sometimes one of the two other mobs might back away out of my Puncturing sweep range, so after I finish the other two, shield charge him and take him down, usually a sword beating. It's fun as all get out. Some bosses, I gotta switch out to resto and use the knock back of my piercing javelin and use the resto to restore majika, it take a while that way, but works amazingly well. My build is built around majika, but I try to take advantage of some of the stamina that goes to waste, so I use the shield charge to get up close and personal. I always run as the healer in group dungeons. Been thinking of respecting my attributes to all majika too, but seem to be doing good so far. I also have an Emperial Templar, so one hand and shield has added benefits.

Only problem with my build, is when I am out of majika, I am dead, but that doesn't happen very often.
    edit: I also use 7 light armor for the majika buffs.
    Edited by Kcttocs on July 28, 2014 8:09AM
  • Cinna
    Cinna
    ✭✭✭
    In my current solo build I utilize both bars actively, I do not spam same spell over and over again but have fun and no troubles for ages (finished Rift VR6 on pre-nerf time with this), no matter if it's boss or group of mobs. I have one weapon skill from each staff, and the one from destro is not the typical aoe but a single target spell. I feel if you're not using many weapon skills, then the weapons are more of a flavor/utility, and can easily be swapped around. I did play for a while with 1h and shield for the block cost reduction, but did not feel it contributed that much to my play style, since we have a stronger charge ability in class skills and since I have no use for a taunt. 1h&s does not offer offense, only defense and utility, resto staff offers both due to passive Cycle of life and the big magicka return allowing more use of spells, destro staff is obviously damage and utility.

My build does use many high level spells + passives and all templar trees, but some of the basic ideas within it might help already on low level. I'll suggest some low level substitutes too. Some of my morph choices are based on group support preference, as I play a healer too, but for that role I change my bars quite massively.

Principles for stats: Blue food is great for stat boosting, worth multiple gear pieces (magicka+health have been my favourite)! Make sure magicka and mag.reg. are on soft cap when food buffed, then dumb rest on health and/or lastly little on stamina. Light armor for spell cost reduction. Jewellery as spell power or magicka cost reduction.

Resto (Due to Cycle of life -passive this has main dps spells):
    Solar Barrage (DawnsWrath -> extra ulti, buffs Reflective light and Emp.Sweep)
    Reflective Light (DawnsWrath -> extra ulti, alternate HA and Solar to let dot run)
    Rapid regen (cheap healing, could be something else too)
    Blinding flashes (safety for solar barrage use)(substitute with Combat prayer)
    Breath of light (big heal)
    Empowering Sweep (cheap ulti to use often, dps and survivability)

Destro (I like both staffs as beam style so for me it's lightning one):
    Explosive charge (gap closer for Solar and Sweep use, interrupt; open fights from range and charge to the archer/caster when melee catches you)
    Crushing Shock (single target dps, ranged interrupt, synergy with altmer)
    Channeled focus (protection and magicka return)(substitute with Restoring aura, fighter's guild stuff, immovable...)
    Luminous shards (long cc or just (ranged) aoe dmg depending how you use it, good for group support; trade for Biding javelin when needed)
    Scalding rune (opener, ranged damage, great dot and burning, buffs Reflective Light or Shards with Might of the guild)(substitute with wall of elements)
    Solar Prison (big ulti to use if points happen to accumulate high)

If I'd use a stamina weapon a form of Restoring aura would be a natural staple choice for the skillbars. Sun shield will probably find its way to the bars once it soon gets rid of the magicka regen debuff. No Puncturing strikes, mainly because I dislike the spam, and also because it won't synergize with Solar barrage or Might of the guild; but it is a strong skill to use with other combinations. Also, no Impulse here, because Solar Barrage offers more interesting mechanics through templar passives, makes Reflective light stronger and allows me to not waste dot dmg as opposed to Elemental Ring. I also do have other sources of burning and snare, so the fire/ice versions have no great incentive for me.

Well, that's one way to set up a resto/destro templar, that is a bit different from what you see told as the "obvious" way. As I said, it's a fun and active play style, and a very capable setup on varying situations. I hope You too figure a way that best suits You!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying that Templar's are viable Trials DPS? Because they aren't. You don't really need a tank in this game, so aside from healing, there's only one viable role for Templars in end-game competitive trials.

He put his load out and said that's it for Templar viability. I disagreed. Perhaps reading the quote I was commenting on would have helped you have a clue about what was going on. This game is not all about trials. Its not the only endgame. PvP. Templars have boss set ups for pve different than he stated don't forget pve actually includes the three alliance zones and dungeons. Also templars have very competitive PvP builds. So I just disregard this garbage obsession with the highest DPs being the only thing that matters.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭

He put his load out and said that's it for Templar viability. I disagreed. Perhaps reading the quote I was commenting on would have helped you have a clue about what was going on. This game is not all about trials. Its not the only endgame. PvP. Templars have boss set ups for pve different than he stated don't forget pve actually includes the three alliance zones and dungeons. Also templars have very competitive PvP builds. So I just disregard this garbage obsession with the highest DPs being the only thing that matters.

I understand your point. But that doesn't change the fact that all 4 classes should be viable for every aspect of the game.

Bows are good in PVP, too. But how many bow-based builds are topping trial timers?

If things like Trials are going to be end game and the game isn't designed around being conducive to having alts, then it's ridiculous that bathrobe/stick/sorc/DK/NB is all that's viable to have a shot at the top 1% of content when said content is an e-peen stick.

My perspective is that if that is going to continue being the case, then Templars should require at least 3 people to kill in all PVP.
    Edited by Pmarsico9 on August 6, 2014 3:38PM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your point. But that doesn't change the fact that all 4 classes should be viable for every aspect of the game.

Bows are good in PVP, too. But how many bow-based builds are topping trial timers?

If things like Trials are going to be end game and the game isn't designed around being conducive to having alts, then it's ridiculous that bathrobe/stick/sorc/DK/NB is all that's viable to have a shot at the top 1% of content when said content is an e-peen stick.

My perspective is that if that is going to continue being the case, then Templars should require at least 3 people to kill in all PVP.

PvP is end game. Trials are end game. There are enough skill points to have multiple builds on same toon. Judging everything in terms of trials is ignorant. Only considering PvP is ignorant. Thinking one toon one build is ignorant.
    Pve/ PvP/ 4 man and 12 man are all very different and balancing all options on all classes for all 4 is not easy, give them some slack. Its OK if different builds shine in different areas.
    As I spell check I realize you were being very sarcastic. I'm posting anyway though.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently leveling a 1h/Shield Templar alt and so far it's going OK.

I just got my butt kicked by a level 38 bandit in the vampire grotto, but that's OK since i'm only level 12. Almost had him ...
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on August 10, 2014 3:58AM