The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Melee- and Range fight

skyvie
skyvie
Soul Shriven
Hey there,
while creating an Imperial char I wondered: Where is the exact line between melee and range combat.
The Imperial comes with a passive skill, that can recover health from attacking targets, but only while doing melee attacks.
How many meters count for melee? Can you use this passiv skill with melee weapons only? Or with Dragonknight skills as well? Or even with bow/staff?

Please give me a detailed answer (Gamemasters may answer as well ;) )
  • Ironblaze
    Ironblaze
    This may be only partially helpful, but the Ashen Grip item set triggers a gout of flame on "melee" attacks, and I regularly trigger that with a bow in close quarters. This leads me to think that "melee" in this case refers to a range in x meters as opposed to a particular combination of weapons. Never tried it with a regen-Imperial though, so it may vary
    Iron Shadowscale: VR10 EP Greatsword-slinging, stamina focused, werewolf, self-healing Argonian sorcerer.
    Sensible build? No. Hilariously fun build? Yup!
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Close' is generally Melee range. Sorry cannot be more exact, but ESO is not really 'number' friendly in regards to combat specifics, especially when in combat.
    Edited by Innocente on August 8, 2014 6:13PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Abilities are treated by the game as spells, so your DK abilities are not melee.
    Staff attacks might be considered melee, but staff abilities wouldn't.

As for the range, that's difficult, generally melee refers to non-ranged weapons ie swords, axes, and even polearms.
    So bows and staffs technically shouldn't be considered melee, but if @Ironblaze is right about the Ashen Grip set and his bow, then traditional definitions have been thrown ot the window, so who knows.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on August 9, 2014 2:23PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule