The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should crafters be able to repair gear with mats?

Budnick
Budnick
Would you like to see this added to the game? If i can make the gear, why cant i repair it? they can make it so the more damaged a piece is the more mats it takes upgrade mats included.
For set pieces that drop from mobs and dungeons or trials, they can make it so you need all 8 traits researched of the same type of item to repair it.
what do ya think? yes crafters should be able to repair items or keep it vendor repairs and kits only?
Edited by Budnick on July 26, 2014 7:39PM

Should crafters be able to repair gear with mats? 78 votes

Yes
94%
SirAndySrugzalidahogeekettestanly1300_ESOFat_Cat45Gilvothdeathmasterl_ESOGreybarrenGlassHalfFullIsibisCinnamon_SpiderxaraanHeavy666ab16_ESOFrcyrPendrillionMawhonic1990uktitanb16_ESOBlooddancerflemmingrohdb16_ESOkwisatz 74 votes
No
5%
XauArtemiisiaGyudanJordan141 4 votes
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    makes no sense at all that I cant fix my own stuff. if I can make my VR12 Daedric medium armor set, why cant I fix it? "my armor is broke, guess ill make a quick stop to the local town chef and get it fixed!"
    ????
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    NookyZooky wrote: »
    makes no sense at all that I cant fix my own stuff. if I can make my VR12 Daedric medium armor set, why cant I fix it? "my armor is broke, guess ill make a quick stop to the local town chef and get it fixed!"
    ????
    agree.gif
  • Bazzakrak
    Bazzakrak
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Personally I am one of those that would also like to se some sort of permanent decay on items when repairing/using them.
    We're born, we live, we die. And along the way, you do the best with whatever crap you step in :p

I'm stranded all alone in the gas station of love, And I have to use the self-service pumps <3

Post Hoc Ergo Proptor Hoc o:)

Motivation alone is not enough. If i had an idiot with me and i motivated him, then i will have a motivated idiot to do stuff :s
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Agree. Great ideas, OP. I'll add some of my own.

- Instead of using upgrade mats to repair, introduce a new repair mat that must be used with the same mat the broken gear is made of to repair.

The number of repair mats used would depend on the broken item's upgraded level and gear level. E.g., a legendary veteran item would require more repair mats to repair than an epic vet item or sub-vet item.

This way would keep precious upgrade mats out of the repair process, allowing you to keep them for creating items.

- Add a new skill that enables a crafter to repair items. Said skill can be unlocked at level 50, giving maxed crafters another specialty and possible means of revenue if they can repair gear for less than the cost of a vendor repair.

- Craft repair kits from existing mats. Repair kits can be tiered and based on the material it is made of or a one-size-fits-all repair kit because inventory space is limited.
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes:

-Repairing an item will cost 15-20% of the upgrade material used by original crafter, dropped set cannot be repaired. (Remember is a gold sink right now)
    -Items to be repaired will require capped crafting skill and knowledge of trait used/ trait required if set.
    -Increased normal repair cost, increased rarity of upgrade material
  • Hammerswarm
    Yes
    Reward people who take the time to become, and master crafters.

• Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    This is a no brainer right? :)
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... Repair kit? Or repair mats?

Is it just me who doesn't really see the difference here?
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Repair kits are not harvestable, they must be purchased, and they can be expensive.

The point is that a crafter with the skill to fabricate something logically should have the ability to repair it. Mats are only one mechanism.
    Edited by Srugzal on July 30, 2014 1:54PM
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Perhaps it'll also push more of a market for refined materials. As it is, you don't gain much over NPC vending them.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

repair kits can only be bought, and are pretty expensive(450 per kit adds up considering you have 7-8 pieces that need to be fixed)
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you want to be able to craft repair kits.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is the issue, ZOS won't get rid of a gold sink, if it's a major problem just load up on repair kits.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

No. The issue is being able to repair damaged items directly, and not crafting something to do the repair.
  • deathmasterl_ESO
    deathmasterl_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Seeing as I've come from a number of MMO's this topic stuck out to me so I'll just provide something from one of the ones that I play.

Star Trek Online has unique system that where if you die you get an Injury to your character or starship(MVAM Prometheus FTW :P). Since it doesn't have armor degradation like ESO does that's the system that it uses. But I'm seeing this as a way that we could do a number of the things with Crafting. Each Injury that happens to you provides a -Stat effect to appear until you can heal yourself, repair your ship, or use regenerators/components to heal/fix yourself.
    1. For Repair Kits to still be a gold sink for ESO have them make it so they have to repair "Injuries" for your armor out in the field.
    2. Add a crafting Repair that crafters can do on their own for set resource amounts depending on the overall dmg to the armor.(Can fix their own Armor DMG, and Armor Injuries depending on their skill lvl)
    3. Armor "Injuries" and Armor Dmg are two different things.
    4. Make Armor "Injuries" only appear in hard Veteran Content IE: Trials, Veteran Dungeon's, etc.
    5. Armor "Injuries" have different lvls of severity for their -debuff's ranging from small stat decreases on the armor, to having major critical failures with what you have. (note: Critical failures can only happen if you let a number of minor failures stack up.
    6. Higher Dmg'd Armor will have a higher risk of getting Armor "Injuries"

Anyways that's just my two cents since I'm kinda stealing it from another games system, but it could be tweaked to allow everything that everyone wants so that it would work.
    Saevus Messor Imperial Dragonknight Vr14 Aldmeri Dominion
    Talia Spiritus Imperial Nightblade Lv17 Aldmeri Dominion
    Naomi Athael Altmer Sorcerer Lv8 Aldmeri Dominion
    Nyanta Raimanni Khajiit Templar Lv4 Aldmeri Dominion
    Sina Nightwind Bosmer Dragonknight Lv4 Aldmeri Dominion
    Leader of the 1st Infiltration and Scouting Division
    Master Weapon and Armor Crafter
  • ninjaoliver43neb18_ESO
    ninjaoliver43neb18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    Even after spending a lot of time and skillpoints into your chosen skill, you cannot repair your gear without having to do the hourly slog back to the city grocer who somehow knows how to repair voidsteel.
    Don't judge me by my username, it was an email I made years ago. :'(