Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lack of Patches but lingering issues??

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As of this month, there have been little to no updates and while there were events going on And the EU server migration, what are your thoughts?

On one hand I can see positive responses as less downtime enables more playtime.

In my situation, I'm hoping for more playtime but waiting on a patch to fix bugs and an error that interrupts my gameplay every few minutes since a prior patch last month. (That issue is being listened to in the customer support forums "Data Load Error")

So what are your thoughts. Is this a sign they are hard at work on bigger tasks or even the console version of this game?

Or is it a point where the initial work is done and we will not see the frequent updates and patches anymore?
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were actually a number of updates earlier in the month; it's just this week and last that saw no maintenance as they prepared for the EU server transition. I would imagine that next week will see 1.3, and we'll see more patches as issues come up.

But I can absolutely guarantee that people will complain about the maintenance (or lack thereof), regardless of the situation.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the PTS patch notes there's a ton of fixes, tweaks and improvements waiting to go. So, yes, they are hard at work on bigger tasks and are trying to release a comprehensive patch for their next update rather than incremental (incremental patches can take longer to QC and verify).
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the obvious like PTS notes and such but this is no different than what has existed. I am looking at the lack of updates and lack of server downtime this month. There were 4 days skipped so far this month.

when participating in the customer service forums there are a few important issues that have lingered for over 60 days so just questioning the lack of patches specific to those known issues.

Not questioning big patch updates like 1.3 as that information has been addressed many times.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you're witnessing is an incomplete game that is still under development, that's being updated with more content, and being ported to two other platforms all while requiring live service. To make matters a bit more stressful for themselves they also insufficiently test the developmental additions to the game causing even more developmental issues to be corrected. They take one step forward in one category but then take one step back in another.

They're spread thin. The rate of important fixes getting out to the game is going to be slow and often require important fixes itself. There's really no reasonably short time scale to anticipate any of this to be corrected, though if I had to guess, ESO will be free of critical bugs by this time next year. In which case I also expect console ESO to launch with said critical bug free build. By such time there will no doubt also be a shift in the business model towards micro transactions and perhaps a non subscription play option much like we see in other games. It's a fairly easy notion to think that ESO, by console launch, will be a very changed game, very much grown up and polished from how it is today, and part of that growing up will need to include a business model that will help it thrive in the console market.

Ultimately if I were to imagine an ESO that is relatively bug free, optimized, responsive, with smoothed out combat system, I'm imagining an amazing game. As it stands there's just not even a manageable number of things to fix yet, so many things get side lined and the development team is forced to just focus on the tasks their boss/director/manager tells them they need to work on. Given time they'll whittle the list down to a small hand full of minor inconvenience bugs which is what any one would consider a reasonable amount of bugs.
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    lol MMO =/= relatively bug free, there are always bugs and bugs will always be there, havent played an mmo even a long standing one that didnt have bugs and a wide range of varying bugs and severities as well
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »
    What you're witnessing is an incomplete game that is still under development, that's being updated with more content, and being ported to two other platforms all while requiring live service. To make matters a bit more stressful for themselves they also insufficiently test the developmental additions to the game causing even more developmental issues to be corrected. They take one step forward in one category but then take one step back in another.

They're spread thin. The rate of important fixes getting out to the game is going to be slow and often require important fixes itself. There's really no reasonably short time scale to anticipate any of this to be corrected, though if I had to guess, ESO will be free of critical bugs by this time next year. In which case I also expect console ESO to launch with said critical bug free build. By such time there will no doubt also be a shift in the business model towards micro transactions and perhaps a non subscription play option much like we see in other games. It's a fairly easy notion to think that ESO, by console launch, will be a very changed game, very much grown up and polished from how it is today, and part of that growing up will need to include a business model that will help it thrive in the console market.

Ultimately if I were to imagine an ESO that is relatively bug free, optimized, responsive, with smoothed out combat system, I'm imagining an amazing game. As it stands there's just not even a manageable number of things to fix yet, so many things get side lined and the development team is forced to just focus on the tasks their boss/director/manager tells them they need to work on. Given time they'll whittle the list down to a small hand full of minor inconvenience bugs which is what any one would consider a reasonable amount of bugs.

If I were to imagine an MMO as relatively bug free, I'd be committed to an insane asylum.

Please stop tossing around words like "incomplete," simply because elements of the game don't conform to your subjective tastes.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were to imagine an MMO as relatively bug free, I'd be committed to an insane asylum.

Please stop tossing around words like "incomplete," simply because elements of the game don't conform to your subjective tastes.

Relatively bug free means relative to an MMO. EX: 10 parts per billion of tap water is permitted to be Arsenic, it's relativity Arsenic free.

It's objectively incomplete, and not relative to my subjective tastes. Unless you consider inaccurate tool tips, skills that don't function properly, passives that don't function at all, skill lag, FPS dropping, and pretty much everything else left incomplete presently (Werewolves can't CC break, keep doors don't function, players can fall through the map, game randomly freezes, etc.) to be working exactly as intended.

It's either an incomplete game or an incompetent one. I'd prefer to be optimistic and select the former.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭

Sadness for me on your entire first two paragraphs Obscure and more disappointment found in your conclusion, even if only half-right.

My hats off to those on the staff that are working so diligently, but are basically hemmed in by the sizeable fustercluck. (*)

• Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anastasia wrote: »

Sadness for me on your entire first two paragraphs Obscure and more disappointment found in your conclusion, even if only half-right.

My hats off to those on the staff that are working so diligently, but are basically hemmed in by the sizeable fustercluck. (*)

MMO design is incredibly difficult work just to describe doing much less to actually do and even less again to describe doing for a living. For many of these developers at ZOS this isn't their first time. They come from EA, NCSoft, Mythic, and other such studios and know full well how to make a living developing games. It's really really really hard, but that's how they feed themselves.

You shouldn't be sad regarding the present state of the game, you should be optimistic for its future. ESO has more potential than any MMO I've ever put my hands on, it just has a long road ahead to realize that potential in the game. Things will be shaping up and in time, if you stick around for it, you'll look back and see just how far it's come along. The only constant is change, and for ESO there's potential for gobs of it in a very positive direction.

If your willing to wait it out, there's professionals who do it for a living working on fixing, improving, expanding, and evolving ESO as I post this. That's not sad to me, that's very encouraging. I don't lose sleep over something that's bad today, I sleep soundly dreaming about tomorrow.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭

MMO design is incredibly difficult work just to describe doing much less to actually do and even less again to describe doing for a living. For many of these developers at ZOS this isn't their first time. They come from EA, NCSoft, Mythic, and other such studios and know full well how to make a living developing games. It's really really really hard, but that's how they feed themselves.

You shouldn't be sad regarding the present state of the game, you should be optimistic for its future. ESO has more potential than any MMO I've ever put my hands on, it just has a long road ahead to realize that potential in the game. Things will be shaping up and in time, if you stick around for it, you'll look back and see just how far it's come along. The only constant is change, and for ESO there's potential for gobs of it in a very positive direction.

If your willing to wait it out, there's professionals who do it for a living working on fixing, improving, expanding, and evolving ESO as I post this. That's not sad to me, that's very encouraging. I don't lose sleep over something that's bad today, I sleep soundly dreaming about tomorrow.

Positive response Obscure heh. I'm not losing sleep, I'm becoming a little more jaded though I suppose. I have plenty of other recreational pursuits and the amount of money involved in following this hobby is trivial compared to any other hobby I'm involved in.

Doesn't mean that I'm not a little surprised and continue to be disappointed in what I based my buying decisions on: a subscription PC MMO which actively sought out and advertised hard to veteran PvE and PvP MMO'rs looking for a challenging, somewhat fresh/innovative MMO with a lil' ES setting to live in virtually.

Likewise I believed, from my activity and involvement with fansites and official Beta years prior to TESO launch that this MMO would be primarily filled with like-minded individuals. That is decidedly NOT what TESO has now devolved to be. You say its evolving. My hope is it is not evolving to become what you described in the second paragraph of your post.

Glass half-empty, but still paying attention. (*)

Edited by Anastasia on July 31, 2014 4:49PM
  • Welka
    Welka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank god someone opened another topic about bugs and patches. The were definitely too few!

/irony
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    I share the same opinion :)
    But, more importantly, I think they served enough content, every 3-6 months some major content is sufficient for me.
    This is not an Asia Grinder, wtf!! Is it? :)
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive response Obscure heh. I'm not losing sleep, I'm becoming a little more jaded though I suppose. I have plenty of other recreational pursuits and the amount of money involved in following this hobby is trivial compared to any other hobby I'm involved in.

Doesn't mean that I'm not a little surprised and continue to be disappointed in what I based my buying decisions on: a subscription PC MMO which actively sought out and advertised hard to veteran PvE and PvP MMO'rs looking for a challenging, somewhat fresh/innovative MMO with a lil' ES setting to live in virtually.

Likewise I believed, from my activity and involvement with fansites and official Beta years prior to TESO launch that this MMO would be primarily filled with like-minded individuals. That is decidedly NOT what TESO has now devolved to be. You say its evolving. My hope is it is not evolving to become what you described in the second paragraph of your post.

Glass half-empty, but still paying attention. (*)
    Positive and negative live in a very quaint little harmony within which one makes very little sense without the other.

I just prefer the realists approach in observing what things are as they are and insert my optimism in what it could be after the fact. Optimism has its place, though according to the analogy of a glass half empty or glass half full dichotomy, I'm of the "It's always full, just so happens half of it is air." way of thinking...heck even in a total vacuum a glass would be full of space time =P. Just depends on what your valuing inside that glass. If all you see is water, you're never going to appreciate anything else in that glass.

Just take what it is for what it is and leave the unknowns to your optimism. Better to live ignorantly optimistic towards the unknown than be upset about something that hasn't even happened yet...much less stressful way of life.