The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Character keeps running/can't change direction with mouse

vedinthorn83b16_ESO
vedinthorn83b16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi there. Until two patches ago I was able to play totally normally, then somewhere in the process (whether the patches caused it or not I don't know) of playing/patching, my character control has been severely degraded.

What happens is that if I push my key to move forward (I'm using ESDF to move) and hold it for very long at all (past a couple of seconds) my character will keep moving in that direction for X amount of time. X seems to be a function of the time that I pushed the key, but not an easily calculable one. At a glance, I'd say it's X= time walking * 2, but not always.

It's not anything to do with my keyboard physically as 1) this only happens in ESO, and 2) I've checked my keyboard for a sticking key already.

It also happens regardless of the directional key pressed. If I press S to strafe left, I will keep moving leftward for some time. Additionally, I can't change direction by moving my mouse while this error is engaged.

Oddly, if I begin moving in a direction, then quickly press S and F to "wiggle" strafing left to right quickly, I can break the error in motion and then continue (so long as I don't let go of at least one directional key) moving, stopping, and mouse-looking as normal.

I have so far updated my video card drivers, repatched the game, and toggled several options on and off as well as disabled all addons all to no avail.

Any help here would be appreciated as it's almost impossible to escape any special mob moves that target multiple areas on the ground, and it's VERY hard to heal when you can't change direction quickly while moving or stop moving to cast. (While the error is engaged, I also can't use abilities for a delayed amount of time.)
  • vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Update: Turns out it is not limited to movement, but it shows up the worst there. I tested out the input inertia thing in chat and sure enough, if I just hold down any one key at all for text for a few seconds, the input will keep going for some time after I let go of the key.

This normally doesn't show up in typing since I'm only usually hitting one key once and then quickly letting go, but if I hold a key for a bit, I can still see lag for ceasing the input.

Also, I can break the input inertia (for lack of a better term) with literally ANY key input on my keyboard. No mouse input at all seems to help, though.
  • cyberpeaches
    cyberpeaches
    Soul Shriven
    "It's not anything to do with my keyboard physically as 1) this only happens in ESO, and 2) I've checked my keyboard for a sticking key already." Dont know much about the problem but this could be why you havn't solved it yet. Assumption is nice and convenient, but the proof is in the pudding! Try another keyboard and make sure it is not wireless.

out from that I did hear of someone with a similar problem, not sure if its the same, but changing region settings worked. Dont know if it was keyboard settings, regional settings but one of those. The keys might be a bit different but its worth a try at least as a test.
  • vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So I changed my physical keyboard to an old PS/2 style generic one that I keep handy for just such an occasion, and nope, still does it. Changed region and keyboard settings and that didn't help either.

The problem is software driven somewhere, but I'm having a devil of a time figuring out where. I'm very near to just uninstalling the game and reinstalling it even though that would take hours, if not days, since I'd have to download the patches again, and I don't know if that would even help.

• vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    vedinthorn83b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Never mind, apparently it just needed to be reinstalled and it keeps the patches handy and updates them automatically. Didn't take long at all.