Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Is it the class or am I a big noob?

santixd7
santixd7
Soul Shriven
So I'm a dragonknight level 16, and I usually compare me to other players. I can see that templars from the same average level don't die as much as I do and they also kill a lot easier and quicker. Is it the class, that in this level sucks or something like that, or am I just a noob?
:smiley:
I demand a trial by combat

Best Answers

• pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    You're new indeed, but don't worry, you'll get there soon enough. Templars have decent burst healing practically from the start and so in the beginning they tend to be very survivable. End game is more of DK territory, it has amazing survivability and utility there.

With my DK on low levels I went with sword and shield and a mix of heavy/med armor (heavy for the health regen passives, med for stamina). You get a lot of survivability from such a build. Later on, say, after level 20 you can change it to something different.

Another DK build with extreme survivability is the one I used between levels 30-50. Full heavy armor and restoration staff. DPS is achieved by using DK class abilities and resto heavy attacks, healing and mag restore by heavy attacks with staff. It's hardly possible to die with this build (apart from soloing world bosses) although, frankly, dps is much lower than staff/dress builds :sunglasses:

Try some of those or look up some other build on Tamriel Foundry and see how you go. Safe travels in Tamriel! :smile:
    Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on July 1, 2014 11:29PM
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    How have you been doing? Still having issues? I became more fond of the sword and board than I thought I would. The issue with these levels (10-20) is that we're struggling to get the skills we want and need and trying to find our play style and build.

Also, make sure you're dodging and blocking! If you are having issues with that, there is an add on that tells you when you need to dodge, interrupt, and block. Sometimes I notice it's telling me to block or dodge when I can actually interrupt though. It seems to almost always be with a caster winding up a big projectile spell though, so I can figure it out easily
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • santixd7
    santixd7
    Soul Shriven
    Woohooo thank you for the info, pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO :smile:
    I demand a trial by combat
    Options
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    No problem! Enjoy the game!
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
    Options
  • Sherrieg
    Sherrieg
    ✭✭
    This is funny to me - I also look around to see how I am doing compared to others. I am a Templar and I feel that I am always dying compared to DK's who are able to defeat an enemy so much quicker. LOL
    Options
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    Sherrieg wrote: »
    This is funny to me - I also look around to see how I am doing compared to others. I am a Templar and I feel that I am always dying compared to DK's who are able to defeat an enemy so much quicker. LOL

It stinks to think about, but it seems like all the VR templars I am seeing, while soloing, are all Jabbing bites spamming. They seem to be doing alright with that, but it really does suck when you are cornered in to one particular build for solo play because everything else is extremely difficult. I know other builds are "viable", but let's be honest. VR content gets hard, and no one wants to be near death or dying just because they want to play a viable build vs one that does well.

That said, it does seem like I am seeing a ton of Impact builds. I did that as well. It's tempting to level up my DK and get him a tanking build, but work on the Impact build for soloing faster and more efficiently.
    Options
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troponin wrote: »
    Sherrieg wrote: »

It stinks to think about, but it seems like all the VR templars I am seeing, while soloing, are all Jabbing bites spamming. They seem to be doing alright with that, but it really does suck when you are cornered in to one particular build for solo play because everything else is extremely difficult. I know other builds are "viable", but let's be honest. VR content gets hard, and no one wants to be near death or dying just because they want to play a viable build vs one that does well.

That said, it does seem like I am seeing a ton of Impact builds. I did that as well. It's tempting to level up my DK and get him a tanking build, but work on the Impact build for soloing faster and more efficiently.

I think that is because there is a large group of players in any game that dont think for themselves; they just read builds or styles and try to implement other peoples vision.so you are bound to see a bunch of uninspired and informed players spamming one move who think there is no other way. I soloed v1-5 easily with my Templar and never used biting jabs once past level 10-15 or so. Soloed EASILY. But that said I do use jabs now because I changed some morphs for PvP and I replace a move I no longer have with it. But that's a choice not the only viable build.
    Options
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troponin wrote: »
    How have you been doing? Still having issues? I became more fond of the sword and board than I thought I would. The issue with these levels (10-20) is that we're struggling to get the skills we want and need and trying to find our play style and build.

Also, make sure you're dodging and blocking! If you are having issues with that, there is an add on that tells you when you need to dodge, interrupt, and block. Sometimes I notice it's telling me to block or dodge when I can actually interrupt though. It seems to almost always be with a caster winding up a big projectile spell though, so I can figure it out easily

I just go by the in-game version of DBM, it works pretty well; any shortcomings would just be me.

I have no add-ons, first person view.
    Options
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    I love my DK and am now vr8, i started and still use dual weild, was using a destro staff for awhile but at bout vr4 i switched that to sword/board for the defense and armor breaking(and this was before VR mob nerf). After the nerf to VR content ive mainly just been using Dual Wield because i just love the feel of it, only time i need to use my shield is against boss mobs and with that i just use the armor pierce skill then switch back to dual weild.

I think once you get into the swing of things and figure out what you like to do, and what works for you that you enjoy thats what matters, who cares what some other guy is doing. It does take some practice to get used to the blocking and interrupting and managing your resources because it is so different than any other MMO (which is one of the main reasons i love the game), just give yourself some time, DK is awesome and if thats what you want to play then just take some time to feel out the class.

I remember my first time playing DK through the first 17levels during beta and it was gruelingly difficult because i wasnt used to the mechanics, especially after so many tab-targeting MMOs, so you are not alone, there is a learning curve for those that have never played with this type of mechanic before (and skyrim doesnt count you could be OP as all get-out on that game and stand there getting tickled while killing all the things lol).

Basically just keep pushing forward and see what you like, its well worth it!
    edit: Oh YEAH I play first person too, I love it, its nice to have such a beautiful MMO that works in first person XD
    Edited by Trouvo on July 29, 2014 1:52PM
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
    Options