The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Battlemaster’s Corner – The Resto Warrior"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog post Battlemaster’s Corner – The Resto Warrior. Enjoy, and don't forget to send us your build if you'd like to be featured!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehhhh, I like it, definitely more supportive than my usual Support Role, but I like it, like it a lot. This game doesn't just support a good Support Class, it let's them thrive, which is beyond baller. That said, I prefer a more straight forward DPS form with only a single offheal, but other ways to support people, using:

Purifying Light - Creates a healing pool to passively heal with after it nukes an enemy with it's burst.

Biting Jabs - Because it hurts like a truck, and knocks an enemy back, setting me up for....

Critical Rush - Instead of rooting an enemy further, I prefer to just kill them faster, and this does more damage the farther you're away, thus it's a great lead in with Purifying Light.

Executioner/Reverse Slash - For the exact same reason the Resto Warrior uses it. It's just THAT good of a move.

Honor The Dead - While it's less healing intensive than Rushed Ceremony, having a hybrid spec like this is more rewarded (in my eyes) if you actually have magicka to cast with, and most of the time you and a nearby ally, more often than not the tank, will be below 50% HP, thus this heal will do a good amount of work (especially if you have the passives for it) and restore your magicka back, which is imperative in just about any fight.

Solar Prison - I chose the Dawn's Wrath Ultimate. It costs a bit more, but with the Fighter's Guild and DW's passives, it fills much faster than it seems, and thus helps quite a bit on the big boss battle or massive invasion PvP when it lowers enemy damage by 30% and hits like a small truck every second. Oh and it's synergy ability roots/hurts/stuns people. Can't beat that easily imho.

I have a second build, one for pvp/questing that's pretty much the exact same as above but replaces Purifying Light with Vampire's Bane and the 2H moves for their 1h/Shield equivalents (Shield Charge, Puncture). Helps in solo and helps even more in PvP, but that's a WIP, I'll get back to you on that one XD

My second build uses a sword and shield and switches rather well from PVE to PVP at a moment's notice, mainly because it's, shocker here, using a 1H/Shield for DPS/Support purposes, used mainly for questing and PvPing, and proved massively amazing when I took over a few keeps with my guild tonight lol

Purifying Light and Biting Jabs remain in place of the first two slots for the same reasons as before, but in place of the 2H skills, we have here:

Pierce Armor - When solo questing or in PvP, ripping down an enemy's armor and spell resistance by 20% is never a bad thing, and it's easily spammable. If you don't want to really tank though in a group, I suggest...

Deep Slash - Low Sweep's morph, Deep Slash lowers the enemy's damage overall, physical and magical, by a hefty amount and snares the opponent. It also hit's for quite a bit for it being nothing but a simple 1H attack skill meant normally for tanking. Why I like this game.

Invasion - Instead of Armored Assault's damage shield, I opted for a longer stun time based on distance traveled. Why? Because the longer an enemy can't act is shorter that it takes to kill them.

Honor the Dead is still the last slot, but in groups an argument can be made for a number of skills, from Vampire's Bane for max dps output, to Repentance or even Binding Javelin for more CC/Interrupts.
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on May 13, 2014 3:15AM
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Drakthos
    Drakthos
    Soul Shriven
    Wow, I'm glad you liked my build (at least a little)! After I sent it to Zenimax, I have been experimenting with Aedric Spear (and trying to get the 39/50 passive). I have yet to get into Dawn's Wrath, but I'll get into it during my grind of Vet areas. :D
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dude, the Dawn's Wrath passives help a lot. In fact for a Resto Support Build like either of ours, all three trees are kind of mandatory. But yours works, and if I was a raid leader in Craglorn, I'd definitely bring you with that build along and place you in with my melee groups.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Lucardes
    Lucardes
    ✭✭✭
    Waste of content space. Why not post us a dev update (More people will read it and care), we need 1 bad or you guys just working on console porting and forgot about us?
    Edited by Lucardes on May 12, 2014 9:35PM
    Lucefer
    #1 Sorcerer in EP Dawnbreaker
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    like the build and concept, will give it a try
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • MyDcmbr
    MyDcmbr
    Soul Shriven
    What is your attribute point distribution?
  • Dahkoht
    Dahkoht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy reading folks ideas and this build was interesting to read about. Don't pay attention to the whining brats like a few above.
  • El_Barto_227
    I'm quite impressed, I love themed builds like this. Good job mate
    In-game handle: @ElBarto2278
  • djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your build; it gives me some ideas. It's great that you were able to transfer aspects of your Skyrim playstyle/build into ESO too.
  • Drakthos
    Drakthos
    Soul Shriven
    As for attribute points, I'm still experimenting with that as I go up the VR levels. Some of my VR 10 guildies say to put all into health, but I have currently have them equally spread out between the

Also for jewelry, I look for each piece with recoverys. Health is easy to overcharge, but the more stamina for restoring aura, the better the effect.

I also recently learn of a Hircine's gift set in dungy drop that increases group sta regen so I need to look into that.
  • ulic3190b16_ESO
    THIS IS A TRAP TELL THEM NOTHING!

XD
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that specing evenly between what you use the most helps the best, i.e I have very few points put into my HP, but 25 in Stamina and 21 in Magicka, thus higher spell damage and healing and melee damage output (stamina increases the damage and effectiveness of melee things, not just how often you can do it), thus a split even for a hybrid build or an amassed spec for a narrow focused build works best imho.

Also, I wonder what to name my current build, since this one is vastly better than the one I originally submitted XD. The Aedric Warrior maybe? Or Daedra Slayer perhaps? XD Gimme names peeps lol
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shameless semi bump to tell you I updated my first post in here to house my 2nd Build lol
  • Zaddik90289b16_ESO
    Funny thing about this build is, Pack Leader is still buggy and you cant even use it, lol. If you try to get into werewolf form you ll just get kicked out of it within a second. Fake "user" build, just trying to motivate players to play werewolf instead of still overpowered vampires.
  • RivenCsky
    RivenCsky
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh when I read this write up on the Templar. I find it interesting that the two classes highlighted in the Battlemaster's Corner (Nightblade & Templar) are currently the two weakest classes in the game.

Last night watched as a Vet 7 DK Vampire pulled half the dungeon hall (about 20 Npc's) then he simply drop a flag and wiped them all out in about 5 seconds. But their balanced ? I dare any Dev to do that with a Templar in any kind of build.

While I play the Templar and feel it is currently under-powered, hopefully the Dev team will put more effort in balancing the classes and stop trying to give us false hype about sub par classes.

Until then Cheers.
  • acsmilan
    acsmilan
    Hmm... Now that I'm tired of hardcore healing and cowardly shooting. Maybe this is a good try to cut and smash!
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please give more information about where the player uses such build?

In this case it seems this is a PvP build , since he says "I pity the poor vamps that I pull off those keep walls."

Still , it would REALLY help to know the gear the player is using , the lvl of the char...
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Strontium-Dog
    Strontium-Dog
    ✭✭
    Can you please give more information about where the player uses such build?

In this case it seems this is a PvP build , since he says "I pity the poor vamps that I pull off those keep walls."

Still , it would REALLY help to know the gear the player is using , the lvl of the char...

Hes a templar, doesnt mention pulling as thats DK thing. Where are you reading?
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RivenCsky wrote: »
    I had to laugh when I read this write up on the Templar. I find it interesting that the two classes highlighted in the Battlemaster's Corner (Nightblade & Templar) are currently the two weakest classes in the game.

Last night watched as a Vet 7 DK Vampire pulled half the dungeon hall (about 20 Npc's) then he simply drop a flag and wiped them all out in about 5 seconds. But their balanced ? I dare any Dev to do that with a Templar in any kind of build.

While I play the Templar and feel it is currently under-powered, hopefully the Dev team will put more effort in balancing the classes and stop trying to give us false hype about sub par classes.

Until then Cheers.

What would you like them to focus on.....Sorc/vamp and DK/vamp all the time since those seem to be the flavor of the month atm. Nothing wrong with promoting another players build. A lot of people have different ways of playing. I thought it was somewhat interesting...
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucardes wrote: »
    Waste of content space. Why not post us a dev update (More people will read it and care), we need 1 bad or you guys just working on console porting and forgot about us?

And this was rude.....just saying.
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Really intertesting build. I used to play a build similar to this one when i was playing a Templar.
  • cris13crossb16_ESO
    cris13crossb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Interesting build may look into it sometime but, not to sound rude, i question whether this is actually a player made build when i see the mention on Pact leader which is currently broken beyond belief and incredibly well documented by the player base.
    Edited by cris13crossb16_ESO on May 13, 2014 4:43PM
  • jovial
    jovial
    ✭✭
    lol bring this to tamrielfoundry and you'd get a good amount of laughs.

Edit : came across more mean than I intended. I have nothing against casual builds, whatever you think is fun is good, but it's weird to showcase such underpowered builds. Not to mention how gimped werewolf is.
    Edited by jovial on May 13, 2014 8:11PM
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hes a templar, doesnt mention pulling as thats DK thing. Where are you reading?

To quote from the original article:

Silver Bolts (Silver Leash): Yep, you guessed it—my secondary is a Daedra/undead-killing build (with a twist). The knockdown is the moneymaker on this ability, and the damage pop is always fun. I picked leash because I need to get to my enemies, and without charge I decided to just bring them to me.

Expert Hunter (Evil Hunter): This ability gives my attacks a chance to deal extra damage to my extraordinary enemies. The morph gives me stamina back when it activates. Also, the duration increases with killing sprees. Basically, when I use this, I get more stamina and damage. I pity the poor vamps that I pull off those keep walls.

The two italic and underlined parts are related. Silver Leash is similar to the Dragon Knights Fiery Grip ability with the caveat that it needs to be cast twice to pull and only works against Daedra and the Undead
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to address a few things here actually because a couple people bring up good points

1) I am a VR4 Templar in mostly blues and purples, and I will say we are underpowered by a pretty hefty margin when it comes to our melee capabilities. I've seen Templar Mages with Destro Staffs rip apart groups of people like it was a Thanksgiving Meal, whereas I'd get my ass kicked if I mess up too badly while fighting 3-5 People, most of the time dying. Other instances it's the game being too strong with NPC's that have their damage tuned up waaay too high (a simple world quest when I saw a tank get two shot, a VR5 tank mind you, to VR5 mobs, non elites, and he's in half yellows, the other half purples).

2) That said, Templars seem to fill the Hybrid Support Roles pretty damn well and for sustained fights, ones that go over longer to very long periods of time, we do pretty god damn good. We still need a buff overall for our damaging abilities, or at the very least make our moves cost WAY less magicka if that's how hard they're going to hit, because atm we're more for CC and low yield burst, with Backlash and Puncturing Strikes being our bread and butter, with a very long to charge Ultimate from Dawn's Wrath that's clearly the better one to use for DPS.

3) ReCap Shall we? Templar's need a damage buff, or DK's, some NB stuff, and Vamp's need a nerf if you're not willing to buff Templar's. We're viable, but the learning curve is painful as hell and we're sort of being streamlined into a role, which you promised was not part of the deal when we bought this game. To remind you, you pretty much said "Make your own path", and atm, while this is an MMO, I'm pretty sure that the difference between "One class may have an advantage in one thing over the other" and "This class is meant for these roles while this one is not" is not being clearly cut at all.

I should really not post rants when I'm high as a kite and/or tired. ELgally high mind you I jacked my knee up today, and alas, I'm at a loss for what to do other than play ESO XD
  • ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    As VR10 templar, i tryed this build during my leveling and honnestly, it is not very good :neutral_face:

In PvP, well... You can be a good assassin, when playing solo in a large group of zerg and have a decent survivability, but you won't be supportive as a templar with a restoration staff in second bar (with exactly the same abilities...).

In Veteran PvE content, you just get riped off : you can't deal enough damage before getting killed when encouter a 3 mobs pack.

Overall, 2H is not strong enough and builds based on stamina to deal damages are not as good as those based on magika (e.g. Puncturing strike is a lot more reliable and regular source of domage than executioneer)
    At the moment, stamina is good for blocking, dodging and trigger crowd control abilities or gap closers. Therefore using a 2H for a templar doesn't seem relevant. 1H and shield is a lot stronger in my opinion (more tanking, more cc).

Also, I suppose this build is based on heavy armor, which is also a mistake from my point of view : Regarding armor, templar has the tools to be caped with abilities such as channeled focus in PvE (or circle of protection, immovable, etc.). In PvP, damages from magical sources are a lot more annoying than physical attack. Except if you want to make pve tank, light armor (mixed with some heavy parts) is overall a lot better (regen magika, cost of spell reduction, critical chance, spell penetration, etc.)
    Edited by ARtChi on May 16, 2014 10:18AM
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lucardes wrote: »

thought you unsubbed? Why you still here?

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARtChi wrote: »
    As VR10 templar, i tryed this build during my leveling and honnestly, it is not very good :neutral_face:

In PvP, well... You can be a good assassin, when playing solo in a large group of zerg and have a decent survivability, but you won't be supportive as a templar with a restoration staff in second bar (with exactly the same abilities...).

In Veteran PvE content, you just get riped off : you can't deal enough damage before getting killed when encouter a 3 mobs pack.

Overall, 2H is not strong enough and builds based on stamina to deal damages are not as good as those based on magika (e.g. Puncturing strike is a lot more reliable and regular source of domage than executioneer)
    At the moment, stamina is good for blocking, dodging and trigger crowd control abilities or gap closers. Therefore using a 2H for a templar doesn't seem relevant. 1H and shield is a lot stronger in my opinion (more tanking, more cc).

Also, I suppose this build is based on heavy armor, which is also a mistake from my point of view : Regarding armor, templar has the tools to be caped with abilities such as channeled focus in PvE (or circle of protection, immovable, etc.). In PvP, damages from magical sources are a lot more annoying than physical attack. Except if you want to make pve tank, light armor (mixed with some heavy parts) is overall a lot better (regen magika, cost of spell reduction, critical chance, spell penetration, etc.)

The idea behind a support class isn't to fulfill one of the main roles such as Healer, Damager Dealer, or Tank, but to help support them in that function, I have 4 set moves that I used, and tbh I kind of agree that 2H atm is pretty damn weak compared to Dual Wielding or Bows or any magical skill at the moment, I really do, but I prefer based solely on preference, since most of my damage does indeed come from Biting Jabs and Purifying Light.

That said, Executioner is great on bosses, especially when their "Low HP" period is massively long, thus you get to spam giant 500-600+ damaging attacks easily (At VR4 at least, idk how much stronger they can get at VR10) whereas my Biting Jabs still will only get around 400-500. 2H needs a buff, that much is pretty obvious, either in the raw damage a 2H does or with it's mechanics, such as making Uppercut a shorter cast if not Instant Cast as a morph, but keeping the damage. I feel that would be a massive upgrade to the Weapon Skill Line and would make them more appealing outside of the "Cool Factor" 2Handers have over other weapon types.

Also I wear 4 Pieces of Heavy, 2 Piece of Light, and 1 Medium, although I'm thinking of changing it around a bit. I would like to think that an all Medium or 5 Medium/1Heavy/1Light armor melee DPS would do rather well no matter what weapon they had equipped, but who knows. Just, again, Magic is far superior to Melee/Physical weapons, and that needs to be changed. Skyrim was really bad with that issue as well, with Magic being the far better choice than a melee weapon in the end, so I don't know what's up with Zenimax and Bethesda's hard-on for Casters, but it needs to stop and the love needs to spread a bit.
  • Dreddnawt
    Dreddnawt
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Templars could use some increase to our damaging abilities but to say we are "underpowered" like we're the gimps of the game is ludicrous.

Templars are much more than support. We can effectively heal, tank, or dps just by switching a bit of equipment and a skill or two. I may never match the raw damage output of a Sorc or DK but throwing out stun, armor debuff, snare, disorient, damage nerf, and interrupts every few seconds has a massive effect on outcomes.

Yes, Templars are skill hogs. To get a decent build you really need to invest. You mean it costs more to be better? I never would have thought of that. =/

Yes, Templars take real skill and experience to run to their full potential. But I cant see how challenging the best players to improve their gaming skill is a bad thing.

Yes, Templars have lower damage output overall of any class. But we also have the highest survivability (healing, duh) and a grotesque array of status effects to play with.

IMHO Templars are the best class. Not only are we a force to be reckoned with alone but we also have many tools to boost our allies up and bring enemies down.
    Dreddnawt - Orsimer Aedric Crusader
    Alexstrasza Drogon - Imperial Infernal Dragon
    Daggerfall Covenant

TESO / PC / NA Server