The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Are sorcerrer's pets tanky?

santixd7
santixd7
Soul Shriven
If I made myself a new character, a sorcerer, should I ever concern about my character being attacked, or will they be protected most of the time by my Pets? Kinda like WoW's hunters.
I demand a trial by combat
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are great tanks and should keep mobs off you long enough to kill them, but the winged one is very fragile and dies quickly.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clannfear is pretty decent at tanking but it's not as good as a tank WOW pet as it doesn't have a taunt. Generally for trash I use a combination of pet and CC to thin out packs if not AoEing them.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on July 22, 2014 6:59AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    santixd7 wrote: »
    If I made myself a new character, a sorcerer, should I ever concern about my character being attacked, or will they be protected most of the time by my Pets? Kinda like WoW's hunters.

The Clanfear is a Tank, but the Volatile Familiar is more complicated, it's a mix of tank and mine. The base Unstable Familiar from which the Clanfear/Volatile Familiar is morphed is a lesser tank, and enemies slip by it more often.

The Winged Twilight is more of a ranged DPS, but can keep enemies away, while the Twilight Matriarch is also a healer. The other winged Twilight Morph is more of a ranged DPS with no emergency heals.

The Storm Attronach ultimate is a Tank/DPS blend with huge output but only lasts a short while.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on July 22, 2014 8:44AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, the Clannfear is to an extent. He can keep mobs off you fairly well. But the Clannfear is too squishy to be used reliably as a tank against world bosses and in dungeons. They just aren't made for it.

You also have to decide if it is worth putting on both bars. Because if you don't have the pets on both bars, they will disappear when you weapon swap. Some people do it on purpose for a source of magicka (passive that recovers a small percentage of your magicka when your pet is unsummoned or dies).
    Edited by Tabbycat on July 24, 2014 1:43PM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my sorcerer pets as tanks/distractions while I clean up the mobs. The key is to use the Y Key to send them into the Mob, rather than wait for them to engage on their own.

I had the Clanfear/Twilight Combo until I respecced. Then I selected the Volatile instead of the Clanfear. I think that was a mistake, I miss my Clanfear.
    Edited by Nestor on July 24, 2014 7:22PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"