Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is all this?

Promytius
Promytius
Soul Shriven
woah - wait a minute - it is going to take some getting used to people who are not really there running right through me, killing the enemies I am trying to kill, taking the treasures I want to take, and generally causing so much chaos around me that I just end up , well, dead!
- I've only played one other online multiplayer game, and in that one I was invited into a group, led down a tunnel, attacked by trolls, murdered and robbed of everything. THAT was fun...
- so there's no identifying graphics for enemies other than a glow you only see if you look hard?
- and there's nowhere safe to go to learn how to survive? Everywhere I go I die. And they want me to pay every month for this ignominy? I'm stunned and confused.
  • Lywen
    Lywen
    Take a deep breath. :)

- I think you'd prefer them running through you rather than blocking your path or doorways or the banker... I could see that getting uglier.
    - As for kills, you get XP if you get a hit in. Also, you get your own loot, so they can't steal yours. Treasure chests, well... That is a different story, but I've been playing since the beginning, and I haven't had a problem coming across treasure chests that aren't being open. You'll have more luck in the open world, possibly, than in dungeons.
    - If you're just starting out, I'd make sure you're in the correct starting zone. It'll be easier, and you may not die as often. The controls /do/ take some getting used to, but it's doable! I have no problem with it now. (aside from a bit of confusion if I switch from a ranged alt to a melee alt)
    - The glow for enemies, yes, and up at the top "compass" you can see red dots that indicate enemies. If you want or need, you can search for an add-on at ESOUI that gives a different UI that make make this more obvious. The game is attempting to be minimal to allow more immersion/realism... But they do allow some add-ons for those that want to tweak the UI to work for them.
    - What faction are you playing? We may be able to help point you to the starter area. The game depending on Race does not always start you in the most ideal location, unfortunately.
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand you having a problem if you can't spot enemy NPCs-
    As a rule of thumb, they are usually the only things in the area that are standing still :)
    Seriously, as the previous poster mentioned, you can get a UI add on, or develop the mages guild skill line and invest a skill point in magelight, it will show up hidden enemies, if it doesn't blind you first :)
  • Lywen
    Lywen
    lol, on magelight... Yeah, I can only handle the bright spinning orb for so long. A UI add-on might be the best option in this case.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can tell Magelight is most commonly used in the bank, along with Winged Twilight, Impulse, and Grand Healing... and their close relatives. Plus the occasional skeleton or cloud of moths.

Seriously, though, welcome to the wonderful madness that is MMOs in general, and ESO in particular. Take your time, get used to the controls, and learn, mostly through trial and error, when to attack and when not to, and how close you can get before you will aggro a mob, causing it to attack. It does contribute to your peace of mind to realize that you can, mostly, control the combat.

Inside the main towns (the ones with banks) is nearly always safe, it's when you venture afield that things get interesting. Happy adventuring!
    Edited by Srugzal on July 23, 2014 3:21AM
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't take the OP seriously, sorry but it's a troll. the comment about the tunnel and "trolls" is the giveaway.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on July 23, 2014 6:35AM
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    I can't take the OP seriously, sorry but it's a troll. the comment about the tunnel and "trolls" is the giveaway.

Yep, on re-reading I think you may well be right there
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, one of my first online game experiences was almost the same. I was deceived, locked in a chamber where trolls soon appeared and my "friendly" guide made away with all my belongings. But it's okay, "trust no one" was a valuable lesson. ;)
  • catpower
    catpower
    ✭✭✭
    I used to play Everquest on the Rallos Zek server (anything goes pvp before they started messing with the rules) and can relate.

You would have people offering items for sale who would then try to kill you when you came to buy, it was crazy!

Strangely fun though, dealing with the risk and it made you appreciate your friends for sure.