The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Other RPers, I beg for your help

Eorea
Eorea
✭✭✭
My plight: I am having trouble keeping myself logged in due to lack of rp (as well as a certain amount of burnout). Unfortunately, I also cannot network with the larger RP guilds, because they are nothing more than a scroll of guild chat wherein I am promised rp, but then am absolutely ignored after I join. It's very frustrating. I'm not interested in romance, and ESPECIALLY not warfare or politics or sitting in a tavern acting drunk for 6 hours. I'm also not interested in the fragmented type of RP that happens when one quest-rps (leveling while in character). Is there anyone who can offer something that isn't any of that? I'm really close to just moving on to another environment and handing off my guild, but I don't want to. I love this game very much. I love the community and everything else... except the endless questing. Is there anyone who can help me without also asking immediately that I join their guild? Is there anyone who will help me keep focused on my love for ESO, rather than the creeping resentment I feel coming that reminds me of why I quit WoW?

I dunno. It was worth a shot trying to ask.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to have a little bit of patience. This game is really new and the RP community is still still being formed. If you really love the game, give the community a chance to grow before you call it quits.
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined one of the guilds where the chat sort of scrolls by, and people don't really notice you unless you smash them in the face. What I did was just ask in guild chat - OOC - if anyone wanted to RP face to face. Had a nice little couple hour RP from that.

I saw someone yesterday emoting with another someone in the open world. I asked them if they were an RPer. They were >:O Gasp! So, I added them to my friend list and plan on prodding them for RP later in the week. I almost constantly poke peoples in one of my other guilds for RP, and they respond. I think you're just looking in the wrong places ^.^ If you see me in-game, feel free to poke.

@Eorea
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen people RPing in the Taverns, not sure if they were all friends or a RP guild, or what, but it can't hurt to look in the taverns in game and ask if you can join in.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on July 22, 2014 4:20PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • j_christy1ub17_ESO
    j_christy1ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The Ebonheart Pact actually has quite a lot of rp. Several guilds have come together representing all angles of the pact to form one huge rp community. You can pretty much find a guild for whatever personality your character has.
  • IceColdSoup
    IceColdSoup
    Soul Shriven
    The Ebonheart Pact actually has quite a lot of rp. Several guilds have come together representing all angles of the pact to form one huge rp community. You can pretty much find a guild for whatever personality your character has.

I would like to post this comment in honor of the mighty comment posted 12 hours ago.
    "Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing."
    -Dwight Schrute
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP in MMOs always confounds me. People stand around in a tavern or some other such place and talk about things they never have done. Worse, the back stories are usually ridiculously convoluted. It's not as bad here, but it's not uncommon to hear people talking about being the secret love child of Almalexia and a demonic prince or some such silliness.

Personally, I expected RP to just be a matter of staying in character at all times, whether questing, crafting or what have you. No one seems to do that, though.
    Part of the problem is, I think, something I was talking about in zone chat tonight (and was berated for). There's nothing much else to DO besides questing. My character should be living in Mournhold acting as the Ambassador from House Telvanni. Aside from crafting, though, there's nothing to do in the town. I could go out into the countryside to gather crafting materials, but that's kind of dull after one has outleveled the zone. More, and worse, there's no reward for doing anything. No xp and even no loot! With all the 0 value loot now, there's precious little reason to be there, and nothing to finance your efforts.

Add to that the futility of crafting, because there's precious little way to sell your crafted goods what with there being no global auction/store, and it leaves one with the sense that there's nothing to do.

Perhaps I'm wandering off topic, though. Suffice to say, I've never seen RP in an MMO that was in any way as I'd imagined it. Kind of a shame.
    Edited by Morgha_Kul on July 28, 2014 7:40AM
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    Since posting this, I have been contacted and have become a part of a very agreeable community. I'm greatful for that, and for the replies posted here.

@Morgha_Kul : The RP I am seeking is, in fact, not simply staying in character while questing. That is very unsatisfying RP to my senses. I'll go play Skyrim if I want to do that. I (and others) also have no interest in an economy because I can literally just gather all materials and learn to make everything I need on my own. You say you have nothing to DO besides questing? Neither do we. So we roleplay together. If you're looking for unconvoluted storytelling and backstory, there is plenty to be had in taverns. If you want a good story to play along with, there are plenty to join in or start with other people. There are good and bad roleplayers alike out there, and you won't always hit gold the first time. Give it a go! I'll rp with you! Or maybe I can point you in the right direction for what you might be interested in. There's quite a nice community beginning to slowly poke its head out of the trees and rocks.
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    RP in MMOs always confounds me. People stand around in a tavern or some other such place and talk about things they never have done. Worse, the back stories are usually ridiculously convoluted. It's not as bad here, but it's not uncommon to hear people talking about being the secret love child of Almalexia and a demonic prince or some such silliness.

Personally, I expected RP to just be a matter of staying in character at all times, whether questing, crafting or what have you. No one seems to do that, though.
    Part of the problem is, I think, something I was talking about in zone chat tonight (and was berated for). There's nothing much else to DO besides questing. My character should be living in Mournhold acting as the Ambassador from House Telvanni. Aside from crafting, though, there's nothing to do in the town. I could go out into the countryside to gather crafting materials, but that's kind of dull after one has outleveled the zone. More, and worse, there's no reward for doing anything. No xp and even no loot! With all the 0 value loot now, there's precious little reason to be there, and nothing to finance your efforts.

Add to that the futility of crafting, because there's precious little way to sell your crafted goods what with there being no global auction/store, and it leaves one with the sense that there's nothing to do.

Perhaps I'm wandering off topic, though. Suffice to say, I've never seen RP in an MMO that was in any way as I'd imagined it. Kind of a shame.

I understand your bemusement because RP is not for everybody, but we do it for the precise reason that there's not much else to do. We love the world and our characters, and we want to do more with them. So when the stories provided for us run out, we make our own, either with RP, fanfiction, fan art, or any combination of those.

RP is also a good way to play with others cross-faction. In-game mechanics won't let an AD character play with a DC or EP character, but using the chat window and our imaginations instantly makes that possible.

By the way, I agree with you about the crazy backstories. Over-the-top stuff like that, or godmoding in general, really breaks immersion and ruins the experience for a lot of players.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • Azarien
    Azarien
    Soul Shriven
    Sha'ja! Why you no log on and RP wiff me?? :'(
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."