The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would a translation add-on break the license agreement?

NabiaKara
NabiaKara
✭✭
Russian community is working on an add-on that partially translates the game into Russian. Basically the add-on includes three main files:

esoui/lang/ru_pregame.lua
esoui/lang/ru_client.lua
gamedata/lang/ru.lang

I perfectly know English, French and German are the languages supported by Zenimax Online. However, I'm talking about an add-on and they don't have any kind of support.

The question is: would an add-on like this one be legal? Could Zenimax ban player accounts because of using it?
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that would be a problem, asuming they are not trying to make a profit from it (i.e. demand money for downloads).
    Banning is reserved for people that Cheat, Bots or Goldsell. I know of one addon that translates converstation choices (http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info157-KhajiitSpeak.html) and one that slows down how fast Conversation Subtiles are shown (http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info66-SlowDialogs.html).
    My general rule of thumb is: If it can be done with addons alone, it is propably inside the TOS. Because if a function was a problem, it would have been marked as private or protected in the API (or not exposed in the first place).
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @NabiaKara‌, we're double checking this for you now.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • NabiaKara
    NabiaKara
    ✭✭
    Thank you. I've forgot to say that the add-on only works if variable "Language" in UserSettings.txt is changed from en/fr/de to ru.
  • NabiaKara
    NabiaKara
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, I understand you are very busy, but I've been waiting almost for a week 2 weeks to get an answer. Please, is there any news on this matter?
    Edited by NabiaKara on May 31, 2014 2:21PM
  • KiriX
    KiriX
    ✭✭✭
    @NabiaKara‌, we're double checking this for you now.
    Have you double checked this and can give answer? =)
    Edited by KiriX on July 6, 2014 2:10PM
    PC EU