The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Impale

Gilliamtherogue
Gilliamtherogue
✭✭✭✭✭
So after 1.1.2 I know that both Impale and Killer's blade have been able to crit. I have been running Killer's blade and I know that it scales with melee crit, but does anyone know if Impale continues to scale with melee crit, or if it turns into spell crit since the range change from 5 to 15 meters?
Edited by Gilliamtherogue on June 20, 2014 11:52PM
Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    I have no actual experience with impale, but it should still be melee crit even with the increased distance.

Generally, if the skill results in a projectile and something flying out of your hands, it uses spell crit, else melee crit. There are some exceptions like hidden blade in DW and silver bolts.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tested it after the change, it's melee crit.

Shadowy Disguise --> Impale crit every time.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought shadowy disguise just guaranteed the next attack to crit, not only weapon crit abilities?
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought shadowy disguise just guaranteed the next attack to crit, not only weapon crit abilities?

Shadowy Disguise gives 100% weapon crit for the duration of the invisibility.
    If you go invisible, then press C for character menu it shows up on your stats.
    It does not provide spell crit, and as such does not apply to any of the Siphoning skills.

I strongly feel that it should provide spell crit, and I have written /feedback forms regarding such.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait, so Impale is based on Weapon crit even though it's a Magicka based ranged attack? How does that make any sense?
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaxom wrote: »
    Wait, so Impale is based on Weapon crit even though it's a Magicka based ranged attack? How does that make any sense?

Where have you been? That's how half the Nightblade skills work. Impale, Surprise Attack, Ambush, etc. all work that way.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Think of Impale as a spear that they didn't bother to make full graphics for.

It stabs from range.
  • Beeftips
    Beeftips
    ✭✭✭

It's damage is also based off magica and spell damage.
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭
    This all screws the Night Blade so much more than the other classes, I believe.

Since you want to spend magica, you want to have a lot of it and regen it so you want light armor. Now to get melee crit for some of the skills and magic crit for others... It's maddening to thinking about the mess that zenimax has created. I thought they had knowledge and experience, this far they've shown everything but that.

With time, maybe it changes, maybe it does not. It seems already some patches has made skills bugged here and there for other classes as well and introduced bugs in other areas. Their code must be like spaghetti with no proper architecture, or it would be a lot easier to tune.

I hope they get it right thou before more leaves.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IceDread wrote: »

Since you want to spend magica, you want to have a lot of it and regen it so you want light armor. Now to get melee crit for some of the skills and magic crit for others...

Build Magicka with enchants and Food
    5 Light (Spell Crit passive) and 2 Medium (stealth bonuses, some weapon crit)
    Daggers or Bow (weapon crit passives) and Precise traits (weapon and spell crit)
    Willow's Path 3 piece set for 5% spell crit
    Twilight's Embrace 5 piece set for 5% spell crit and 10% healing increase.
    Inner Light (Magelight Morph) for 20% spell crit
    Slot at least one assassination ability for 3% weapon and spell crit, as well as 10% increased crit bonus (bonus applies to weapon crits, spell crits and even to our HoT in Siphoning).

Morph Shadowy Disguise for 100% weapon crit for all class skills reliant on weapon crit.

I have 50% spell crit with magelight on, but only 26% weapon crit with a Legendary precise bow -- if I go Shadowy Disguise --> Assassination skill or Veiled Strike I always get crits though.

Spell Crit is only important if you want to build for the Siphoning skill line though.
    Spell Crit impacts Strife, Cripple, Drain Power and Soul Shred. I have not tested Agony but I presume the DoT crits based on spell crit same as Cripple does.
    The most valuable one to crit with is Strife. Critting on Strife provides a more powerful HoT; the HoT ticks can also crit heal based on Spell Crit.

If you aren't building for the Siphoning line then Spell Crit is less valuable.
    Edited by Samadhi on June 23, 2014 10:12PM
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

Since you want to spend magica, you want to have a lot of it and regen it so you want light armor. Now to get melee crit for some of the skills and magic crit for others...

Daggers or Bow (weapon crit passives) and Precise traits (weapon and spell crit)
    Slot at least one assassination ability for 3% weapon and spell crit, as well as 10% increased crit bonus (bonus applies to weapon crits, spell crits and even to our HoT in Siphoning).

Morph Shadowy Disguise for 100% weapon crit for all class skills reliant on weapon crit.

I have 50% spell crit with magelight on, but only 26% weapon crit with a Legendary precise bow -- if I go Shadowy Disguise --> Assassination skill or Veiled Strike I always get crits though.

Spell Crit is only important if you want to build for the Siphoning skill line though.
    Spell Crit impacts Strife, Cripple, Drain Power and Soul Shred. I have not tested Agony but I presume the DoT crits based on spell crit same as Cripple does.
    The most valuable one to crit with is Strife. Critting on Strife provides a more powerful HoT; the HoT ticks can also crit heal based on Spell Crit.

I use a similar setup.

The problem you did not mention was what weapons do you equip. Since magica is used for so much, and magica damage > stamina damage, I need to lvl up destro staff. My NB is currently lvl 48, has some lvls in bow, two blades, high in restro staff, some in destory. I fear that if I continue lvling it and they change it back so stamina skills can be used it's going to be a *** to lvl up two weapons / bow to max with no quests left to do, or so I fear. Therefor I've put my NB on hold, but play it from time to time anyway.

You do offer good advice thou and I do use similar build and ofcs 5 light pieces.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I use a similar setup.

The problem you did not mention was what weapons do you equip. Since magica is used for so much, and magica damage > stamina damage, I need to lvl up destro staff. My NB is currently lvl 48, has some lvls in bow, two blades, high in restro staff, some in destory. I fear that if I continue lvling it and they change it back so stamina skills can be used it's going to be a *** to lvl up two weapons / bow to max with no quests left to do, or so I fear. Therefor I've put my NB on hold, but play it from time to time anyway.

You do offer good advice thou and I do use similar build and ofcs 5 light pieces.

I use a Bow for PvP and Dual Wield for AoE grind.
    I don't like staffs because they don't get the sneak attack bonus from Crouch, but I do have destro up to 50 from testing it.
    Edited by Samadhi on June 24, 2014 7:39AM
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭

I use a similar setup.

I don't like staffs because they don't get the sneak attack bonus from Crouch, but I do have destro up to 50 from testing it.

Ok

I dont like bow because it makes use of Stamina, I like to focus on magica as otherwise we can't compete in damage with magica builds. I don't think it's viable competitively to split the focus. All thou it might be a viable build by itself but why would a group pick that build if someone with a better build is around.

Don't get me wrong thou, I'd prefer to use 2 blades and a bow. Took me a long time to reconcile with this. But with the bugged abilities nb went to the shelf. But with no decent heals and the good dbs from resto staff and heals, and utility buffs for group, it's a good thing to have sadly. The assassin that uses rod's hehe.... :(
    Edited by IceDread on June 24, 2014 11:13AM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I use a similar setup.

Ok

I dont like bow because it makes use of Stamina, I like to focus on magica as otherwise we can't compete in damage with magica builds. I don't think it's viable competitively to split the focus. All thou it might be a viable build by itself but why would a group pick that build if someone with a better build is around.

Don't get me wrong thou, I'd prefer to use 2 blades and a bow. Took me a long time to reconcile with this. But with the bugged abilities nb went to the shelf. But with no decent heals and the good dbs from resto staff and heals, and utility buffs for group, it's a good thing to have sadly. The assassin that uses rod's hehe.... :(

Ah, I better comprehend your issues now.

In PvP the bow using Stamina is not an issue for me. I use all class skills because weapon skills are sub-par anyway.
    Since left-click attack for staffs is based on Stamina for damage, the same as every other weapon, staffs give me no advantage -- in fact, they give me a disadvantage because staffs can't do sneak attacks while crouched.
    If I use any weapon skills in PvP, the only one I bother with is Venom Arrow so that I can have a ranged interrupt to use against casters. Since I use it for the interrupt instead of damage, the Stamina issue does not matter there either.

When AoE grinding, I use Steel Tornado from Dual Wield and the fact that it uses Stamina is actually a blessing. I do the bulk of my AoE damage with Sap Essence (Drain Power morph), then I swap to Steel Tornado when the mobs health gets low.
    The heal on Sap Essence keeps me alive, then Steel Tornado gets bonus damage from hitting low-health targets. This lets me AoE grind without running out of Magicka before mobs die, because I use both resources.
    I can solo Veteran public dungeons with almost no issue. Groups of 5-8 mobs actually tend to be more manageable for me, because more targets makes Sap Essence heal me for more health.

I spend all my playtime either solo or duo with my girlfriend though. As such, I don't have to worry about selection in groups -- I never bother joining them.
    My Nightblade serves me very well for solo/duo, but I can agree that the class on the whole does not sufficiently fill the needs of groups. I know in Veteran areas it's not uncommon to see people call for group members but specifically say "no Nightblades" =/
    Edited by Samadhi on June 24, 2014 6:23PM
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭

I use a similar setup.

Ok

Ah, I better comprehend your issues now.

In PvP the bow using Stamina is not an issue for me. I use all class skills because weapon skills are sub-par anyway.
    Since left-click attack for staffs is based on Stamina for damage, the same as every other weapon, staffs give me no advantage -- in fact, they give me a disadvantage because staffs can't do sneak attacks while crouched.
    If I use any weapon skills in PvP, the only one I bother with is Venom Arrow so that I can have a ranged interrupt to use against casters. Since I use it for the interrupt instead of damage, the Stamina issue does not matter there either.

When AoE grinding, I use Steel Tornado from Dual Wield and the fact that it uses Stamina is actually a blessing. I do the bulk of my AoE damage with Sap Essence (Drain Power morph), then I swap to Steel Tornado when the mobs health gets low.
    The heal on Sap Essence keeps me alive, then Steel Tornado gets bonus damage from hitting low-health targets. This lets me AoE grind without running out of Magicka before mobs die, because I use both resources.
    I can solo Veteran group dungeons with almost no issue. Groups of 5-8 mobs actually tend to be more manageable for me, because more targets makes Sap Essence heal me for more health.

I spend all my playtime either solo or duo with my girlfriend though. As such, I don't have to worry about selection in groups -- I never bother joining them.
    My Nightblade serves me very well for solo/duo, but I can agree that the class on the whole does not sufficiently fill the needs of groups. I know in Veteran areas it's not uncommon to see people call for group members but specifically say "no Nightblades" =/

Only way I feel effective in groups is:

1) Be a designated healer killer (or archer/caster) using teleport strike.

2) Inferno staff - jump in a group, spam power extraction with pulsar. Requires magica build to be really effective.

Also, nighblades can make a fairly effective healer, but like all things, other classes can be better at the same tasks in groups.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impalement is the penetration of an organism by an object such as a stake, pole, spear or hook, by complete (or partial) perforation of the body, often the central body mass.[1] This article has a primary focus on impalement as a form of execution, how it was performed, and highlighting some places where it was used. The included literature suggests that impalement across a number of cultures was regarded as a very harsh form of capital punishment, as it was used particularly in response to "crimes against the state". Impalement is mentioned as a punishment within the context of war, such as with the suppression of rebels, punishment of traitors or collaborators, or for breaches of military discipline.

Contempt for the state's responsibility for safe roads and trade routes by committing highway robbery/grave theft, violating state policies/monopolies, or subverting standards for trade are also recorded among offenses where impalement was occasionally used as punishment. For example, visiting Egypt for the first time 1657–58 Jean de Thévenot observed a man impaled for using false weights. Offenders have also been impaled for a variety of cultural, sexual and religious crimes. The Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire, whose core areas roughly corresponded to modern-day Germany and Turkey, respectively, are examples of states in which impalement was used. References to impalement are found as early as the 18th century BC, in the old cultures of the Ancient Near East, such as Babylonia, and, later on, within the Neo-Assyrian Empire. The practice of impalement is well attested into the 19th century, for example within the Ottoman Empire, with allegations of the practice reaching into the 20th century. Impalement has been a subject of myth and art. Furthermore, this article restricts itself to a treatment mainly for Old Babylonia, the Assyrian Empire, the Holy Roman Empire as well as for the Ottoman Empire.
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »

Where have you been? That's how half the Nightblade skills work. Impale, Surprise Attack, Ambush, etc. all work that way.

For some reason, I thought Impale was under Spell Crit since it was ranged. I knew Surprise Attack and Ambush are under Weapon Crit.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, I thought Impale was under Spell Crit since it was ranged. I knew Surprise Attack and Ambush are under Weapon Crit.

Hidden blade - ranged melee weapon crit skill
    Impale - ranged class weapon crit skill
    What's wrong?

Edited by Stannum on June 25, 2014 4:21AM
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's wrong?

Impale is a morph of a melee range skill. You can't have base skills use magicka and then change to stamina when you choose a morph. This would make the system even worse than it already is.

I know that a ton of NBs complain about magicka builds, but I love the way it is set up. Going full melee magicka NB with a stamina dump used to be a very common and successful build. I still play it this way when I'm running around by myself.
    Edited by Vuron on June 25, 2014 1:27PM
  • Talketzanto
    Talketzanto
    ✭✭✭

Im assuming that also means weapon damage based? or is that up in the air also?
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impale is a morph of a melee range skill.
    And what? Impale is a morph of assasin's blade, somewhat like magic dagger which you use with you weapon crit skill. You can use it in close combat or in case of Impale you can throw it (like flying blade). Why it should be based on spell crit in this case?

You use magika to "create" the blade. And then you use it with your weapon crit skill. I mean that I don't understand why Impale should be spell crit skill since it is range skill.
    Edited by Stannum on June 25, 2014 2:10PM
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭

Im assuming that also means weapon damage based? or is that up in the air also?

All class skills scale with spell power and max magicka.