Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Campaigns - Issues

Burby500
Burby500
I have enjoyed the player-versus-player combat since the game was released. The integration of the PVE and PVP elements of Cyrodiil give it a realistic vibe, and the unpredictability of the immense battleground grants opportunities for ferocious clashes and epic sieges. While the battlefield can be hectic and haphazard, I've tried to enjoy it to the fullest extent, only to be forced out of my home campaign due to unprecedented issues that I became aware of over time.

To put things simply, the campaigns are unbalanced in terms of population. PVP Guilds aside, the majority of players tend to migrate to the campaign that hosts the largest population for their faction - this is to be expected. As a result, the score difference between participating factions either changes little or changes drastically (as a result of population surges caused by cooperating guilds or really pissed off Aldmeri Dominion soldiers). For example, the Aldmeri Dominion have held first place in the campaign "Auriel's Bow" since the week the game was released, and neither of the other factions have made significant progress against them. This inevitable defeat has become a disconcerting theme among Auriel's Bow's frequent players. As a result, the population of the campaign has dwindled (Last I checked, the Aldmeri held every fort in Cyrodiil.).

On the other hand, the majority of campaigns are used for little player-versus-player combat, and remain in the hands of PVE players. While I have nothing against this, it's disappointing to see the low population all the time. This may be the result of a lack of players to populate the campaign. However, the whole population of each faction shifts towards that which is most heavily-populated. This "bandwagon" effect seriously detracted from my experience, and forced me out of my home campaign.

As a frequent player of The Elder Scrolls Online, I'm very impressed in the work put into the game - especially the combat. I'll have to take a break from Cyrodiil for a while to recuperate. Hopefully, I've raised some awareness for these issues.
Edited by Burby500 on May 20, 2014 9:03PM
  • Burby500
    Burby500
    I won't get into the usual issues with PVP, such as the unbalanced nature of some classes. I've seen enough complaining about that to last a lifetime.
    Edited by Burby500 on May 20, 2014 9:58PM
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just need to turn off the guest feature as it brings guilds over to dominate a campaign for a night.
  • Burby500
    Burby500
    I almost considered it a population limit issue, as its only based on the population of each individual faction, not a ratio between them.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People still pvp?
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should lower the amount of campaigns by four or five, and allow for two guest campaigns. Home campaigns should not be changeable for the duration of the entire campaign. Campaigns should not be locked based on how many people are in at one time, but how many have made it their home.
  • Burby500
    Burby500
    That could work, but I'd still like to see a stricter limit to the amount of players individual factions can hold - possibly according to the population of the other factions.
    Edited by Burby500 on May 21, 2014 7:43PM