The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion - implement combat action queuing. A big help to lag.

Soupypoop
Soupypoop
✭✭
Hello developers and fellow readers,

Coming from a background of long MMOs, I have experienced anywhere from dial-up speeds (literally) to blazing fast 50mbps+. I know how much lag sucks, even if you're under 50ms and get a sudden 500ms spike that just borks your flow.

I have seen some MMOs in the past use what's called spell/action queuing. I'm not sure if something like this is implemented in ESO, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but here it goes.

What action queuing does is that it queues actions performed by your character within X amount of time within each other. So, if I cast spell A then start tapping spell B before A finishes its animation, then B will queue behind spell A and fire off immediately after A is finished. This usually happens so quickly and precisely that it does nor become abused not feels like you're just lining up spells. It still feels immediate, and that your spamming of spell B ensures it fires off as soon as A is done.

The purpose of this super short term queuing, however, is to mitigate the effects of lag. If I cast spell A, then a lag spike hits/my latency is high as it is, then I press spell B as soon as I cast A, then the game is already sending that command to be fired off as soon as A is done.

Or... something like that. Essentially, it just mitigates the effects of lag, making it far less noticeable. A properly done action queuing system will often go unnoticed, and will not change how combat currently works and feels, except it will just make it feel a lot smoother and responsive. Oh, and it should have a sensitivity adjustment option. Allow us to set the latency based on our personal internet's average latency. This will allow the queuing system to make more accurate actions.
Edited by Soupypoop on May 20, 2014 9:33AM
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree, they have it in TSW (The Secret World), there it is possible to que the next action, it works great and would be nice in ESO too.
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    As far I know it is, since I am able to queue my next attack while I cast a shard, so that seems to work. Problem is, if the lag is bad, your queue input starts lagging quickly :(
    "In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."