The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

No chests please

Westcoast14_ESO
Westcoast14_ESO
✭✭✭
I've really grown to dislike the combination of chests in group dungeons. And I don't care if the loot is shared or not. That's not the issue. For me, the chests inherently introduce a downshift in pacing and a distraction for the group that really takes away from the group part of the group experience. They really put an emphasis on the crawl part of dungeon crawl. 1.5 hours to slog through a non VR dungeon is excessive.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your taking 1.5 hours to clear any dungeon, vr or not.. The reason most definetely is not because someone is taking time to open chests, trust me.

Pretty sure most have an intended target time in the 30-40 minute range for a first time group of players with average gear. With fast times being obviously aimed at 20 mins (given the related achievements). Though most can be done in under 10.
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Westcoast14_ESO
    Westcoast14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Axer wrote: »
    If your taking 1.5 hours to clear any dungeon, vr or not.. The reason most definetely is not because someone is taking time to open chests, trust me.

Pretty sure most have an intended target time in the 30-40 minute range for a first time group of players with average gear. With fast times being obviously aimed at 20 mins (given the related achievements). Though most can be done in under 10.

Chests added a substantial amount of time to the last run. The tank would run off after each substantial trash pull to check the area for chests, often taking 2-3 minutes in the process. Eventually some group members started going afk when the tank ran off. So it could take quite some time to get the party going again. Granted there were other factors that contributed like some of the players forgetting to have their gear repaired before entering the instance, which required additional breaks when each realized they had entered the instance with their armor trashed. But the chests probably added more than 30 minutes to what was already a painfully long run.
    Edited by Westcoast14_ESO on May 17, 2014 2:21PM
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds vastly more like an inconsiderate player then a game mechanic issues.

Also, at VR everyone always ignores all chest,s because they 100% absolutly CAN NOT ever drop anything at all useful to anyone. It's a pretty poor system either way.

Chest should be a very exciting find for all players in the group, and worth the search.

They are currently changing the system to only include 2 per dungeon, and have them share with the group. This will alleviate your concerns somewhat, tho may not do anything for mine.
  • Westcoast14_ESO
    Westcoast14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't see a compelling reason to combine a group instance run, which typically has its own highly tuned pacing and game play, with a search for/unlocking of chests, which has it own distinct pacing and game play. Sometimes there is improvement via subtraction.

Put differently, when I'm interested in running a group instance, I am particularly interested in the unique features of facilitated by a group instance (especially the combat/encounter mechanics).

So in the past, when I've thought a group instance was lacking, it typically had to do with some perceived shortcoming in the mechanics or boss drops. I never thought "this would be much better if I players were taking a lot of time to craft a stuff during the run" or "this would much better if there were a lot of resource nodes to harvest".
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess we're just from different worlds then.

Every major rpg/fantasy anything I've ever done, the prime reason to search/hunt dungeons was treasure. Treasure is often in treasure chests.

Does the lockpicking slow the pace of the dungeon?
    Yea. I would be content with chests not being locked in dungeons.

Should they be completely removed because VROOM VROO?
    No. Some minor exploration of the map is something that ESO is really all about.

And as far as wasting massive amounts of other players times goes - players and and WILL do this no matter what game mechanics are present. The best workaround is the kick feature combined with the /ignore one. Players who group up need to be considerate of each others times and desires, those that aren't will ruin your experience no matter what game, what mechanics or anything else. It happens in every single mmo, and always will. It's not something that devs can fix ever. It's human nature.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've really grown to dislike the combination of chests in group dungeons. And I don't care if the loot is shared or not. That's not the issue. For me, the chests inherently introduce a downshift in pacing and a distraction for the group that really takes away from the group part of the group experience. They really put an emphasis on the crawl part of dungeon crawl. 1.5 hours to slog through a non VR dungeon is excessive.

Dungeons are supposed to be crawls. This isn't WoW easymode dungeon. IF you dont like it... find a group who doesn't care.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME IS TO EXPLORE (and thus have fun) AND NOT TO GRIND!
    Indeed it is so...
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axer wrote: »
    Sounds vastly more like an inconsiderate player then a game mechanic issues.

Also, at VR everyone always ignores all chest,s because they 100% absolutly CAN NOT ever drop anything at all useful to anyone. It's a pretty poor system either way.

WEll... progress towards treasure box achievement, loot you can always break down and sell, and minor EXP boost.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    WEll... progress towards treasure box achievement, loot you can always break down and sell, and minor EXP boost.

Yea I do open them for the silly achievement, but only when my group is otherwise being slow so I can do it on my own time without slowing them down.

And the loot I delete. My relavent crafting is maxed, and they aren't worth the inventory slots for the measly 15-20 gold they give. XP ? VR dungeons are too hard to bother trying to get skill xp, so my bar is ALWAYS 100% maxxed out best skils I have. I level skills in easy solo content or at anchors like everyone else.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    SO...you don't like going slow through dungeons cause people are looking for chests?

This topic just sounds real silly to me.