Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Warlock "DOT" Nightblade stinks right now.

jambam817_ESO
jambam817_ESO
✭✭✭
DOTS do not apply themselves on mobs that are immune to the crowd control effects of the dot. This just kills my single target DPS on my Nightblade Caster. reliant on:
1. Strife(Swallow Soul)
2. Impale(Ranged)
3. Cripple(crippling grasp)
4. Entropy(Degeneration)
5. Agony(Prolonged Suffering)

I have received the message "The Target is too Powerful for this effect" on cripple, entropy (no idea why), and Agony and on many bosses the damage component is resisted as well.

Anyone else have experience with this? Am i just SOL until there are fixes? I'm lvl 39 and this is the second character i rolled because my first wasn't feeling it. almost a week of /played down the drain :(
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard that any of these are broken; they just aren't very strong for DPS (haven't tried Entropy). I personally don't have a problem with Strife's damage, but I prefer outlasting to killing quickly.

I've learned to avoid any DoT that takes longer than 8 seconds to finish. They never seem to perform too well in my opinion.
    "QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @Sleepwalker I agree, Strife is probably the best "nuke" I have access to in the class abilities. Just unfortunate that the DoTs perform like they do.
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    The snare portion on all these abilities falls into the 'almost never applies' category. And as such (with the damage being a part of the snare designation) they end up being a big ole waste of mana.

Now if only the damage part and the snare part were two distinctly different attributes without dependencies in the program.
  • weirdkitten
    Cripple damage is actualy quite good, but as people above have said it just doesnt work against root/snare immune enemies. Strife is also a pretty mana efficient nuke with good secondary effects. This build is plagued by bugs atm, I'd try it again after bug fixes are in.
  • Mucera78
    Mucera78
    I wasnt aware that the damage and cc components arent calculated seperately.
    If that is the case it would suck big time.
    It was one of the concepts i had planned for a future char.

Hope this is getting a "fix"
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly what I had planned for my Nightblade alt. He got up to about 23 before I realized that there wasn't a way to really make it work since so many creatures were immune to DoTs. Now he's a blacksmith that is fully respecced to crafting and sits in town.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Darrett wrote: »
    This is exactly what I had planned for my Nightblade alt. He got up to about 23 before I realized that there wasn't a way to really make it work since so many creatures were immune to DoTs. Now he's a blacksmith that is fully respecced to crafting and sits in town.

Sounds about right...

• Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Idk what you guys are talking about, but cripple and entropy work fine and do damage on all bosses for me according to my combat logs. I'm a vr10 nightblade btw.

The one ability out of the ones you've listed that I've actually had trouble with concerning damage versus crowd control immunity is agony, and that's because the DoT is only applied AFTER the stun is broken. If there is no stun then there is no damage, working as intended there.

To summarize, the message 'target is too powerful for that effect' pops up a lot with some of these abilities, but for me the damage remains on all but agony for the reason stated above.

Hope this helps shed some light on the topic.

EDIT: For that matter, I've never had a problem with impale or strife being resisted because of such an effect either.
    Edited by Thejollygreenone on May 16, 2014 8:51PM
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe Strife deals damage over time. A nuke with heal over time effect though. Would be infuriated if I could resist my own heals.
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Celless wrote: »
    I don't believe Strife deals damage over time. A nuke with heal over time effect though. Would be infuriated if I could resist my own heals.

This is correct, but neither is impale and that was lopped in with the other DoTs too, so I assumed OP knew this as well. Maybe not though ^.^
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I apologize for being unclear in my original post. I listed the skills in the order of my buttons on my bar, not that they are all dots. that is my single target bar with my dot abilities on it.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I originally made a Nightblade with this type of character in mind.. a life leeching dot user who won battles via attrition and sustain. Well, dots suck ass in this game. The damage is horrible, it is the same damage as direct nukes just over time, and the cost is the same, so there is literally no reason to ever use them. Cripple is a decent spell, but it wont even deal damage if the target is immune to snares, so yeah, horrible design.

The build is still playable, just isnt competitive with direct damage builds. I leveled for awhile casting Agony, cripple, soul trap, and strife on each target and I was able to kill mob after mob pretty easy, and my resources replenished nicely. In no way would this build have enough damage in veteran zones, it wouldnt work at all imo.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idk what you guys are talking about, but cripple and entropy work fine and do damage on all bosses for me according to my combat logs. I'm a vr10 nightblade btw.

VR 2 Nightblade; can also vouch that Cripple's DoT effect still applies against snare immune enemies.
    I get spammed with the "this target is immune to snares" message on every damage tick, but the damage itself does apply.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.