Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Soft cap for Magica

Singular
Singular
✭✭✭✭
Ok...so is anyone else annoyed that, as a sorc, you can reach soft cap for magic without actually investing any points into magica?

That's just ridiculous. I mean, it's great and all for any melee sorcs, but totally silly for those of us who want the pure sorc, invested so that we can fire magic more than anyone else - but no, that's not possible. Hit the soft cap easily, with armor only, and diversify.

Why even bother having ability points? So we can be healthy-heavy casters? Ok. ESO: the game where the sorcerers hit the gym more than the tanks.
War, give me war, give me war.
  • a_thielen_ESO
    I feel this way about all the caps. If you get good gear, you can spec around it so that everyone has similar stats, which seems wrong.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cap looks the same for all classes .
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    U realize there is nothing preventing u from adding more magicka even if u hit softcap? Your point/effect ratio is simply 50% lower, but if u don't need sta/hp anyway, keep investing in magicka ofc!
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also as you rank up your vet ranks your softcap goes up a bit.
  • williams226
    williams226
    ✭✭
    Classes aren't really classes but a starting set of abilities.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah...

My point is that maybe the soft caps should be higher if we can reach them so easily via equipment only. Is there real flexibility with such low ceilings?
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can still put points in magicka, my melee templar has 2255 magicka, something like 300 above the softcap.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Singular wrote: »

Yeah...

My point is that maybe the soft caps should be higher if we can reach them so easily via equipment only. Is there real flexibility with such low ceilings?

You CAN'T so easily via equipment only hit soft caps once you're in VR. At VR4 (and every single passive for Magicka and Stamina, with 0/0/49, wearing 5pc Med, 2pc Light) I struggle to hit Magicka soft cap and only go over Stamina by a little using the 283 LvL 50 food. This is with both rings Magicka and all 7 armor pieces with Magicka glyphs. The point is while leveling it's easy to hit DR at any character level with even decent gear, once you hit VR it's not so easy anymore, the way it should be.

Now if I re-attributed to 10/0/39 or even 5/0/44 I cold just BARELY hit Magicka soft cap while still being JUST at Stamina soft cap (including food), but my Health is absurdly low, like 1501. To me as a ranged class that's not too big of an issue for as long as I have Mag/Stam available I can usually kill or at least CC what I'm fighting before I die. Soft caps are there for a reason and it's a good reason. With the ability to have unlimited Magicka, Stamina and regen for either you could pull whatever you wanted and have basically god mode.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka and Stamina caps are fine. They could be raised a bit but whatever.

Magicka and Stamina and Health regen caps, alongside Armor and Spell Resist cap, however, need to be raised by a lot.

I need to eat food to cap one stat, but magicka or stamina regen you don't even need to use massive food buffs to cap easily.

The armor cap in particular wipes out the viability of plate armor when you can run light or medium armor and with a spell go way over the armor and spell resist caps.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Singular wrote: »

Yeah...

You CAN'T so easily via equipment only hit soft caps once you're in VR. At VR4 (and every single passive for Magicka and Stamina, with 0/0/49, wearing 5pc Med, 2pc Light) I struggle to hit Magicka soft cap and only go over Stamina by a little using the 283 LvL 50 food. This is with both rings Magicka and all 7 armor pieces with Magicka glyphs. The point is while leveling it's easy to hit DR at any character level with even decent gear, once you hit VR it's not so easy anymore, the way it should be.

Now if I re-attributed to 10/0/39 or even 5/0/44 I cold just BARELY hit Magicka soft cap while still being JUST at Stamina soft cap (including food), but my Health is absurdly low, like 1501. To me as a ranged class that's not too big of an issue for as long as I have Mag/Stam available I can usually kill or at least CC what I'm fighting before I die. Soft caps are there for a reason and it's a good reason. With the ability to have unlimited Magicka, Stamina and regen for either you could pull whatever you wanted and have basically god mode.

Ah, thanks. That's good to know. So it means I won't be too far into the soft cap in VR land. Perfect - I retract my criticism.

:)