Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Rapid Regeneration vs Mutagen?

timothynrwb17_ESO
So I'm trying to work out which I prefer between Rapid Regen and Mutagen for Restoration staff as a Healing Night Blade.

I have a lot of HoTs and Leeches already and lack a bit in burst healing. It feels like I do better in pugs with Mutagen and better in Guild runs with Rapid Regen. On my 3rd respect I want to finally settle it.

RR heals 624 as total output for me now while Mutagen heals 522 + 185 as an instant if the recipient gets very low. When people really need it Mutagen heals for more ...

Magica recovery is not too bad for me so I'm inclined to settle on Mutagen however I read somewhere that the low health instant heal proc was bugged? Can anyone confirm?

• Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    rapid regen.
    if they are low on health and get the 185 proc then the rest of the mutagen is wasted. and you should be sending a direct heal their way.

its really a question of would you rather overheal with rapid regen. or do you need the oops of mutagen to save someone.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rapid regen.
    if they are low on health and get the 185 proc then the rest of the mutagen is wasted. and you should be sending a direct heal their way.

its really a question of would you rather overheal with rapid regen. or do you need the oops of mutagen to save someone.

Rapid Regen is ONLY good if you can track the regen. I don't know if its easy or even possible but I did hear that Rapid Regen trips people up cause their HP dropped spending the regen and HP wasn't boosted enough to save their lives.

I also wanna state even though the community for the most part dislikes wards...

Healing Ward is actually a VERY powerful life saver with a good burst heal and warding a decent amount of damage giving your HOTs time to heal your target.
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got Mutagen at rank IV, recently respecced into Rapid Regen. I'm a fan of RR now. Mutagen's burst heal is nice, but as a Templar, I have lots of burst healing. Cheap, rapid HoT is very helpful from my perspective.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Using Rapid Regen. Unless they buff the Mutagen trigger-heal significantly, I see no point using it - unless you want to stack Mutagen+RR in your raid group (they don't stack with themselves, but with alternative morphs, they do).
    Edited by Still_Mind on May 13, 2014 6:17AM
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • timothynrwb17_ESO
    Just to clarify - I am playing a Night Blade so I don't have access to class based burst healing though I have plenty of healing over time already. Mostly no-one drops low but when they do I struggle to get them up quickly enough. I use healing ward but sometimes that just doesn't feel like enough burst particularly when multiple targets take a significant hit at once.

My biggest question is whether the burst portion of the Mutagen heal is bugged or not?

• Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mutagen, the heal under 20% is a lifesaver ( at least it should be )
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    Personally would go with rapid regen I prefer not to let my group members drop below 20% if I can help it
  • Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

Rapid Regen is ONLY good if you can track the regen. I don't know if its easy or even possible but I did hear that Rapid Regen trips people up cause their HP dropped spending the regen and HP wasn't boosted enough to save their lives.
    you have them backwards. rapid regen drops every 16 seconds like clockwork. mutagen drops when their health gets below 20% or 20 seconds, whichever comes 1st.

its pretty easy to keep rapid regen up all the time.
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

I also wanna state even though the community for the most part dislikes wards...

Healing Ward is actually a VERY powerful life saver with a good burst heal and warding a decent amount of damage giving your HOTs time to heal your target.
    i use healing ward and blessing of restoration on my sorc. while nowhere near as nice as breath of life as a panic move its pretty effective if applied liberally before the situation gets horrible.

rapid regen is my primary heal on my templar. its always up. ward comes next if a single person failed to get out of an ae or is dropping fast. after that its panic spam. either blessing of resto or breath of life depending on what im playing.

with health funnel for nb's thrown into the mix that should cover anyone actively trying to not die. my nb is a stam build so i dont have any experience healing as one.
  • Infraction
    Infraction
    ✭✭✭
    I use rapid regen with funnel health from the nightblade. If a person gets low I pop a ward and the regen pretty quickly while the damage is eating the ward up.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mutagen's triggered heal heals for more than Combat Prayer, which is the supposed burst heal.

Mutagen and Quick Siphon alone will keep you up through anything that can't 2-shot you.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mutagen is currently bugged, the burst heal doesn't work. So RR is superior for now.

Assuming Mutagen works it's down to preference. I like Mutagen because if it isn't consumed it lasts for 20s which is close to the duration of Extended Ritual, and if it is consumed well it may have just saved someone's life.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on May 14, 2014 7:45AM
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Answer is fairly simple, though different for each player:

Bad at the game or run with a lot of players who are bad at it?
    Mutagen.

Good at the game and run with players who are good?
    Rapid Regen.
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    I'm using both, RR on my NB and Mutagen on my Sorc. Sorc is the more traditional healer type, NB a hot/siphon healer. I think the better one is determined by one's skill bar and setup, though as of right now I think I prefer RR because I'm usually casting a burst heal/shield of some sort if they get low anyways.
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Mutagen, the heal under 20% is a lifesaver...

^This.

Of course if your group is proficient at their roles, the effect may not be especially necessary. Totally depends on the types of people you normally group with.

I PuG a lot. I like Mutagen better.

"QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a Templar, Rapid Regeneration is the way to go. I've got burst heals, I need solid HoTs that limit my need to rely on expensive burst heals since I have weak magicka regeneration.

I used Mutagen up to level 45 through all the dungeons I could run, and it did fine; but Rapid Regen is much better for my setup.
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mutagen has saved me more times than not in PvP. That little bit extra helps. As a NB, it's a lifesaver.