Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Lore of the Elder Sage

Casdha
Casdha
✭✭✭✭✭
This is an attempt at writing an Elder Scroll type book to convey an idea to friends when we were in the process of creating our guild. Please be forgiving of the writing style as I am not a writer.

The Lore of the Elder Sage

By

Anthon Casdha

The inhabitants of Tamriel may have heard whispers of us, maybe a passing phrase overheard amongst the drunken banter of the local pub, or an idea gleamed from a dream you can’t quite remember but that still doesn’t answer, What or who is an Elder Sage? To say it simply is something I may not be able to do, but I will try to explain the best I can. It is not that I can’t find the words to say, the problem here will you as a reader understand, or even believe them. Many around Tamriel find us to be a bit odd, maybe even a bit crazy, to be honest some Elder Sages do not even know they belong to this class of people until their eyes are opened by another.

We will start this explanation off with a story of how I came to be. I, Anthon Casdha came to be late in the third era of Tamriel. Well right from the start I have lost some of you, because that may be a time yet to come, back to my story. I gained my consciousness as an Elder Sage during a time of Great strife for Cyrodiil and it was this strife that brought about the beginning of the forth era., I’ll not go into that here as I am not a prophet; I however did learn the intricacies of the Elder Scrolls. Yes what makes and Elder Sage special is they have the ability to read, absorb, interact, and have bearing on the outcome of the contents within an Elder Scroll. I could try to explain to you what an Elder Scroll truly is, but I fear you may not understand. I can however give you something to ponder, what would you say If I told you that some Elder Scrolls have a beginning and an end but the middle is never set in stone, or that some Elder Scrolls have more Elder Scrolls hidden within their being, you’d think me daft and fit to be tied to a horker and set to be drowned off of the northern coast of Skyrim, yea I thought so. Well back to my story. My next experience with an Elder Scroll was about 3 Centuries later with another return of a great evil to the lands of Tamriel. It seems history is full of that, or is it the future, ahh I digress, again this Scroll has a beginning, an end, as well as, some additions, but there is no way to explain this to a reader of this book. Unlike this book an Elder Scroll can be different to each person to lay their hands on it, yet the same story is still told. I have met other Elder Sages who came to consciousness in the first era and some who came in the fourth era, but as each scroll is discovered and understood by another, it adds one more brother or sister who is to remain as such, throughout time. To put it simply each Elder Scroll I have the pleasure to interact with is another great adventure to be had.

Elder Sages: Are we immortal? No, in fact we may even be more mortal than you, but the time we live and we die by is not measured by any time understood on Mundus. If you were to see us resurrect from the dead or to raise another, know that it may not be Necromancy but the understanding of the Elder Scrolls themselves. Are we Aedra or Deadra? No but I do not doubt the creators of the Elder Scrolls have influence even over them and they may or may not even realize it. I know you say all of this can’t be so, only certain priests have the ability, and are even allowed, to read them, and this honor and privilege eventually leaves the person blind, well the only explanation I can give you on that issue is, they go blind because the Elder Scrolls say they will be blind. Any way to end my story, just remember as an Elder Sage, I could be standing next to you, while you are reading this book and even refer to myself by name and you would not even know I exist unless you were meant to see. It is because of crazy ideas like this, no one of Tamriel will ever believe, lest they are an Elder Sage and their eyes are now open.

Notes:
FYI my thinking as writing:

Elder Scrolls = The Games by Bethesda

The creators of the Scrolls = Bethesda

Scrolls within a scroll = the Scrolls we are exposed to in game.

When I came into consciousness or others did = the first TES game I played or the first someone else played

Description of our mortality = us in the real world playing the game

Our ability to interact with the Scrolls = us playing the game with our character

Resurrection by understanding the scroll not Necromancy = we get a do over when we die in game

Those who don't know they are of that class= players of the game

If your eyes are now open = you read it, you understand it, and you decided to be a member.

It is written from the perspective of being in game. NPCs read books all the time it is up to you to imagine what they are. NPCS have no consciousness so therefore would not even realize we were there standing next to them but another player picking up the book (if it really were in game) could.
Edited by Casdha on May 12, 2014 10:08PM
Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Casdha,

Outstanding! For more information about The Elder Sages: eldersages.com
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Andozer75
    Andozer75
    Brilliant work.
    Just beware... The ESO is set 2E582.
    The second era ended in 897.
    If this is to be like a "lorebook" in the game, then saying "the end of second era" is a big on the edge...
    I think you've done good, I'm just picking on minor details. Keep it up, you definitively inspired me to write my own stuff. got it on the forum.
    Edited by Andozer75 on May 14, 2014 11:07AM
    [EU] [AD] Lords of Cyrodiil - Reclaim what is rightfully ours!
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comment @Andozer75 . I have already run across another book in this game that eludes to coming from the future to this timeline but is very old and must be a mistake on the date as told by the note at the end of the book.

EDIT: Oh one thing I forgot to mention that may clear up the title a bit, this was written to go in a skyrim mod for the Dragon born to read when he found the hidden library left by our guild telling of our exploits in the 2nd era. The book was written in the second era but in this case wouldn't be found until the fourth era.
    Edited by Casdha on May 14, 2014 4:37PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%