Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

New Templar question

tintin_milou
Hi everyone,

Just created a second character - a templar. If I want to level as both healer (so other people would invite me for raids) and DPS (so I could finish missions in good time), would leveling both a Restoration Staff and Destruction Staff be a good idea? Thanks for your help! :)
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. I leveled the Resto Staff and Bow at first, plus the Destro Staff later (Impulse is possibly the best AoE farm attack in the game.)

As a healer, I like keeping the bow on my second slot, mostly so I can swap over to my second weapon and quickly dump all of my stamina into dps skills before swapping back over to my healing bar. This is a great way to add some DPS to your group during dungeon fights where constant healing isn't necessary, and because the bow uses stamina, you don't compromise your ability to swap back over to your other bar and continue to heal. The Destruction Staff is probably the better weapon for you if you want a true dps spec though, since you'll already be building a magicka heavy build as a healer (investing in the light armor tree, etc.)

One of the great things about the Templar right now is we actually solo really well using only our class abilities (in other words, your weapon doesn't really matter.) I leveled through most of the game keeping my Resto Staff equipped (for the magicka regen on heavy attack) and using Biting Jabs and Reflective Light as my damage abilities. The other 3 slots were for heals (usually Breathe of Life, Extended Ritual, and Rapid Regen.)

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • tintin_milou
    Thanks very much for your help Travail! :smiley:
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Just created a second character - a templar. If I want to level as both healer (so other people would invite me for raids) and DPS (so I could finish missions in good time), would leveling both a Restoration Staff and Destruction Staff be a good idea? Thanks for your help! :)

Templar is going too be my second toon , my friend runs a two hand dps spec and heal spec. Which means he can cast heals as he is chopping up the first thing that comes into is sights
  • tintin_milou
    I think both the R Staff and the D Staff use magikca, right? If I wear all light armor then both weapons will benefit, along with all my class skills.

If however I take a sword/bow type weapons, which benefit from Stamina, then I probably should also wear some Medium armor too, which would dilute the benefit of wearing all light armor.

If I am mistaken, please let me know... :smiley:
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think both the R Staff and the D Staff use magikca, right? If I wear all light armor then both weapons will benefit, along with all my class skills.

If however I take a sword/bow type weapons, which benefit from Stamina, then I probably should also wear some Medium armor too, which would dilute the benefit of wearing all light armor.

If I am mistaken, please let me know... :smiley:

You are correct however...Templars are magic heavy, all if there ablitys cost allot so say. You basic heal cost 425 magic you only have 2k magic total so now you have cast your heal 4 times you basicly have no mana cuz you have been using magic too heal and attack, now if you split it up some you will not have that problem. Also one thing too note at max light amour lvl your only going too lose 6% regin at most I think, that heavy or midium amour is going too be far more worth it for a more sturdyer toon, things get harder in vet areas and trails are coming too.
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭

You are correct however...Templars are magic heavy, all if there ablitys cost allot so say. You basic heal cost 425 magic you only have 2k magic total so now you have cast your heal 4 times you basicly have no mana cuz you have been using magic too heal and attack, now if you split it up some you will not have that problem. Also one thing too note at max light amour lvl your only going too lose 6% regin at most I think, that heavy or midium amour is going too be far more worth it for a more sturdyer toon, things get harder in vet areas and trails are coming too.

5 pieces of Light armor will give you 20% increased regen, 3% decreased spell costs, 40% increased spell resistance, 10% spell critical chance, and 30% reduction in target spell resistance to your spells, IIRC.

Put Immovable on your bar and you're capping armor with 2 pieces of heavy, immune to CC, and overcapping spell resist by a long way.

• Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    I lvled my templar with a resto staff (currently vet9)...at lvl 15 I tried bow, but while it is a nice weapon, it's just not my thing in ESO (which is odd, cause it's my favorite weapon in every other TES game.) So, I dropped the bow & used two resto staves with different abilities, one bar was more DPS, the other more healing.

resto staff = very very good.
    1) 10% magicka given on last tick of heavy attack.
    2) when solo, it heals you automatically.
    3) +1% damage for every 10% health you have...which should be nearly full always, cause you're a healer..so pretty much, that's +10% damage always.
    4) This game rewards healing people...if you see people fighting, heal them & you get credit/xp/loot (except for bosses, you have to deal damage to get loot from them, though you do get credit if you just heal).

My general method for questing was/is:
    1. Go to questing area
    2. Run around healing everyone else & myself
    3. Attack mobs, while looking for players to heal

I usually had to only kill like maybe 2/3 of the mobs needed for the quest, the others were from other people & I just got credit for using rejuv near them. Also, it makes public dungeons a breeze...just stand at the entrance using grand healing or rejuv & someone would offer to run through with me in less than a minute or so (and during the run through, I'd usually pick up other people as well who saw the heals & ran over to finish the dungeon easier.
    Edited by Talmet on May 13, 2014 6:16AM
  • Xuxilbara
    Xuxilbara
    ✭✭
    I leveled my Templer as Mage/Healer, with Destro and Resto staffs - it's fun! So yeah, I'd say it's a good Idea!

You'll need a lot of mana, tough.

If I want to dps, I put on my destrostaff with a mix of destro/templer/mageguild skills + a healspell from the templertree incase of emergency.
    I do my healing almost the same - a mix of restro/templer skills + the shield from lightarmor/heavyarmor, or firerune, or both. Or a damagespell. Depends on the situation, really.