Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Crown of Shornhelm - Who to choose? [Spoilers]

Traisa
Traisa
✭✭✭
I can't decide who to choose. Who would make a better ruler, Dorell or Tamrith? Tamrith seems to be more for the protection and well-being of the citizens and Dorell more for military forces, which in turn can protect citizens, but also can put them in harms way.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorell for me, I don't believe in divine very much
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter who you choose has no effect whatsoever. You move off the area and don't see any development with those NPC's ever again.
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks. I thought maybe it would affect my decision later on down the road.
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I wish we should have saved Verandis Ravenwatch and had him rule, but alas, that wasn't an option. In the end, I picked Tamrith. While I think she was young and inexperienced, her concern was more for her people than Dorell's. She also has her sister to offer military counsel.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's common for eso quest choices to be difficult--that there's no clearly perfect answer. There are usually pros and cons either way so no, neither option was ideal here. I liked that Tamrith was for the people, but she may have been too soft as a ruler who could truly protect them. Dorell was a little too tough on the other hand, but had more leadership wisdom so I begrudgingly picked him.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whisper292 wrote: »
    Frankly, I wish we should have saved Verandis Ravenwatch and had him rule, but alas, that wasn't an option. In the end, I picked Tamrith. While I think she was young and inexperienced, her concern was more for her people than Dorell's. She also has her sister to offer military counsel.

You mean her Vampire Sister that she's not sure she trusts? :). I chose Dorell because it's the middle of a war and DC needs Soldiers if it's to win.

Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Nortar
    Nortar
    Imho it's almost always better to have a strong assertive governor assisted by a soft cautious adviser, than the other way around.
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    Tamrith as I did not see much of a military danger to justify focusing on troops over the general welfare. The danger just put down was not about a military invasion.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tamrith as I did not see much of a military danger to justify focusing on troops over the general welfare. The danger just put down was not about a military invasion.

Sounds like you haven't tried the EP area then where DC has a lot of troops. Admittedly, I hadn't tried a character out there prior to choosing.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on May 14, 2014 11:27PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chose House Tamrith. Because House Dorell had some dodgy agreement with the smugglers going up in Northpoint. Which you gleaned from reading a scrap of paper/book from I-can't-remember-where-now.

Last thing Rivenspire needs is a corruptible King there after it's recent trouble I think.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like you haven't tried the EP area then where DC has a lot of troops. Admittedly, I hadn't tried a character out there prior to choosing.

Wait you're saying he needed troops not for defense as he claimed, but to invade EP? Thats even worse. Who wants a war monger as king when the people are starving? Fix the problems at home before you go trying to conquer the world.
    Edited by Svann on May 15, 2014 1:46PM
  • Nortar
    Nortar
    Like it or not, but there is already war between the alliances.
    And as a vassal to High King Emeric, the ruler of Rivenspire (whoever that might be) is obliged to provide troops, supplies and whatever is necessary for the war efforts.
    It's not the time to contemplate, it's time to fight for your future.
    Edited by Nortar on May 15, 2014 4:34PM
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    If you gotta lie about the reason you need the troops then you arent fit to rule.

As far as he being beholden to Emeric - Emeric didnt seem to mind which you chose so thats really not a valid argument. It doesnt seem like Emeric is worried about the number of troops supplied by Rivenspire.
    Edited by Svann on May 15, 2014 5:47PM
  • Nortar
    Nortar
    I suspect that a person who never lies is even less fitting to be a king. :)

Politics is just a tool. A tool for achieving your short- and long-term goals with the least amount of resources.
    And among those resources are manpower and trustworthiness.
    A good politician does not lie unless it’s necessary the same way a good general does not send his soldiers to die without a reason.
    But what would you do if a small lie can save a thousand lives of your subjects?

Emeric does not really care who would sit on throne in Rivenspire as long as his demands are met.
    And as he has not been in Stormhold since Ranser’s war, he trusts with decision to his champion.
    But have no doubt – when a need to support the alliances war efforts arise, the king would tolerate no excuses from his vassals.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nortar wrote: »
    Imho it's almost always better to have a strong assertive governor assisted by a soft cautious adviser, than the other way around.
    This; I feel like Tamrith, for all she's done in this quest, is still very young and very niave. Helping people recover won't do much if they're killed by invaders.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • canuck1975
    After everything I went through to get to the choice I decided on Dorrell. These people out me through the grinder so they don't deserve a kind, touchy feely ruler.

Cold, eh?
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    I did ultimately end up choosing Dorrell.
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that a person who never lies is even less fitting to be a king. :)

Maybe in the general case but in this case signing soldiers up to protect the homeland then immediately sending them off to invade another country is as dirty as it gets.

• Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    chose for house tamrith; tough choice tbh; I don't like religious rulers in general and Dorell undoubtedly would be a capable king aswel...

I really thought Rivenspire needed rebuilding and help for the people more than a strong military presence though
  • Arothan
    Arothan
    Soul Shriven
    Chose Dorell, sure I liked Tamrith's plan but every village in Rivenspire complained that the reason for their troubles was lack or Shornhelm Guards or lack of the ability to keep their town safe etc. Rebuilding does very little if you can't fend off the bandits...
    Arothan Til'Alexandros
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Arothan wrote: »
    Chose Dorell, sure I liked Tamrith's plan but every village in Rivenspire complained that the reason for their troubles was lack or Shornhelm Guards or lack of the ability to keep their town safe etc. Rebuilding does very little if you can't fend off the bandits...

yes... but I think the underlying reason was the fact that the country was overrun with vampires; having taken care of the underlying reason I expect the land to quiet down quite a bit.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shiaxi wrote: »

yes... but I think the underlying reason was the fact that the country was overrun with vampires; having taken care of the underlying reason I expect the land to quiet down quite a bit.

I get a feeling if it's not vampires, it's werewolves or the empire. It seems nothing can stay out of attack. I feel like she can still help rivenspire rebuild without a crown, whereas it would be more difficult to defend without one.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    Shiaxi wrote: »

I get a feeling if it's not vampires, it's werewolves or the empire. It seems nothing can stay out of attack. I feel like she can still help rivenspire rebuild without a crown, whereas it would be more difficult to defend without one.

I don't see why it would be difficult to defend rivenspire without a crown; generals in general don't have a crown.

I'd put Dorell in administrative charge of recruitment and the likes, with possibly the sister or someone else trusted in charge the general staff.

put the vamps of ravenwatch in the intelligence gathering and you have a nice framework...

it frees up the queen to focus on her people
  • High_Marshal
    High_Marshal
    ✭✭✭
    I chose Tamrith. As a vampire, I thought she was an idiot for placed her faith in the gods as blindly as she did since as a vampire, I know just how willing they are to actually do anything to help any of us even if you are their priest.

However Dorell was a rigid, unbending buthead who had his own son arrested for treason even after I proved that he was under a spell that I broke him from. Anyone who was willing to do that to his own son should not be king.
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    All red text quest decisions are meaningless.
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • columbineb14_ESO
    columbineb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Whisper292 wrote: »
    Frankly, I wish we should have saved Verandis Ravenwatch and had him rule

Yup. He's a weird dude but he's not a pious mushmouth or an offensive ass. He was pretty much the only major NPC in the zone I liked other than his ... girlfriend? protege? whatever she is.

I went with Tamrith because I felt there was a chance she could still be taught. I think she'll be a better ruler once she gets over her naivete and realizes she has to be a hard case now and then, whereas Dorell will never catch on that sometimes he has to use compassion.

I know these quest decisions don't really ever matter, but I like to assess them as if they do.
    I have just told you more than I know.
  • Anex
    Anex
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on Verandis..

Right now I am leaning to Dorell even though I like Tamrith's desire to help her people on a more personal level. I too feel she is naive and would maybe work better WITH Dorell than either of them separate. But Dorell seems to meet more practical needs without the religious complication. As a vampire (which I was painfully reminded during this whole thing that NO NPC gives a crap about that fact or is aware of it, much to my disappointment), her thing with her sister irked me to no end.

So I guess I have less quarrels with Dorell than Tamrith.. I guess I shall pick him.
    Assassination/ Dual Wield Specced Stamina-based Nightblade, because I like Hardmode apparently
    Twitter | Raptr | Twitch.TV
  • likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Religious fervor, even in a video game, is a squick for me so I went with Dorell.

I did not regret it, since it made no difference.
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Um, depends, He seemed to me to be the sort to turn into a tyrant, and I don't think having a tyrant is better and a overly soft ruler.

Don't get me wrong, I think neither was appropriate for the job, but being British I remember the damage a Tyrant in charge can do (various English Kings and Oliver Cromwell too (horrible man)) from history lessons (and TV documentaries).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on December 18, 2014 11:54AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • 0chaosconsumeus0b14_ESO
    I noticed quite a few people chose not to pick Eselde due to her overly religious nature. That choice may make sense in the real world, but in Tamriel there is no question as to whether or not the gods exist. Not only are they real, but they routinely affect the lives of mortals, turn the tides of major conflicts, and keep Oblivion at bay. Remember if it were not for Akatosh the protagonist would still be trapped in Cold Harbor. Eseldes religious nature doesn't make her the best candidate, but it certainly shouldn't negatively affect her as a choice.