Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Backing up the game

c_pesantb16_ESO
My PC is due for a complete reformat.

I have a decent internet connection but nothing incredible so re-downloading is something I'd rather not have to go through.

Is there any ''official'' way of backing up the game on my external HDD? I can't seem to find any.

Or will the launcher recognize the game if I simply copy/paste everything once it's been re-installed on my PC after the reformat?
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to know this also.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read any official ZOS guidance on how to backup the game. I have moved the Zenimax Online game file subdirectory to another partition and ran the game with no problem. Since you are wiping the disk, you should also save the Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/ subdirectory which contain your config and settings files.

Still the safest option would be to backup the image of the disk.
  • Beldorr
    Beldorr
    ✭✭✭
    I've made backups in the past which have saved me from a complete reinstall. If you recall when the repair button popped up a few weeks ago and started downloading the entire game again due to the launcher not recognizing which version you have.

You can copy the entire directory to another location to back it up. Your backup won’t get patched. So the older your backup is, the longer it will take to restore from backup and patch to current version.

C:\Program Files (x86) \ Zenimax Online
    To: external Drive

You can also test the copy by running the .exe file in the sub directory \ Elder Scrolls Online \ Game \ Client \ eso.exe

You should be able to run the game from both locations after the backup. If you wanted to move the game to another location you will just need to update your shortcuts / startup scripts to the launcher which is one under the Zenimax Online folder.